Ever been delayed on a Qatar flight?

bexwell

I flew from with Qatar from LGW to Doha in January, with every intention of catching a connection 2 hours 20 minutes later to Bangkok. On landing I go to the board to see what gate I'm meant to be flying from, to my dismay it's delayed for 4 hours. I eventually flew 6hrs 20mins later. I wondered if I should be compensated for this delay but after Googling various sites I found out that I wasn't eligible.

My friend and his wife just returned from Thailand having flown with Emirates, they also had a problem which saw their flight having to turn round and return to Dubai when it was half way to the UK. On landing he and his wife were given 30,000 airmiles. I was a bit pissed off at this having not been offered anything so I wrote to Qatar telling them as a privilege club member I felt let down by them and how I'd flown exclusively with them for the last 9 years. In response they apologised profusely and offered me £520 compensation.

Result.

The moral of the story is, it never hurts to ask

• Great Info 4
  • Thumbs Up 3

Moral should be don't believe Google.

You were flying from the UK to Thailand and your arrival was delayed.  Qatar (and others) have argued in the past that if it was the second flight then it's not covered by the compensation laws, but they're wrong.  It appears they knew it as the compensation would be 600 Euro which surprisingly enough is about £520 GBP.

I've had compensation from both Qatar and Emirates but both times it was the ex UK flight that was delayed.

• Great Info 3

I had a thought after writing the above that Brexit would have changed things slightly as compensation was previously claimed under EU Law.  The changes effectively duplicated the EU Law and now we claim under UK261 (formerly it was EU261) and the compensation amounts are in GBP instead of EUR.

The top amount is exactly £520 as given to bexwell by Qatar.

image.png

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/consumer/holiday-cancellations-and-compensation/if-your-flights-delayed-or-cancelled/

• Great Info 2

4 minutes ago, boydeste said:

I was delayed out of Heathrow in December 2021 and missed my connection to Phuket. The compensation was of a similar amount. 

Last time in April 2019 (only time) I flew Qatar, I was on standby and assured when I got to Doha I would have no problem getting on my Bangkok flight. 

Well got to Doha, flight onward was overbooked with 20 staff ahead of me. Next morning, 10 hours later I flew to Phuket, arriving late in the evening and got a connection on Air Asia to Don Muang where I slept the night till first flight to Khon Kaen at 7.30am. 

24 hours in Khon Kaen before flying back to Bangkok and London on Gulf Air with the wife who had insisted I come and get her to fly her to her new life in the UK.

Won't be doing that again.

Didn't like Doha airport, the seats were too hard.

34 minutes ago, Horizondave said:

Last time in April 2019 (only time) I flew Qatar, I was on standby and assured when I got to Doha I would have no problem getting on my Bangkok flight. 

Well got to Doha, flight onward was overbooked with 20 staff ahead of me. Next morning, 10 hours later I flew to Phuket, arriving late in the evening and got a connection on Air Asia to Don Muang where I slept the night till first flight to Khon Kaen at 7.30am. 

24 hours in Khon Kaen before flying back to Bangkok and London on Gulf Air with the wife who had insisted I come and get her to fly her to her new life in the UK.

Won't be doing that again.

Didn't like Doha airport, the seats were too hard.

Hopefully you won't be fetching another lady back to the UK. LOL

Apart from 8 hours in a sleep pod, I spent the other 14 hours in two different bars!

It was during the Sandbox with all of the testing and mask wearing which made it a bit of a worry as you had to book your arrival tests and SHA hotel etc, fortunately it all went well and my hotel just bumped my initial 5 days along 24 hours and the testing was done at the airport which turned out to be good for a few days either way!

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, KWA said:

I had a thought after writing the above that Brexit would have changed things slightly as compensation was previously claimed under EU Law.  The changes effectively duplicated the EU Law and now we claim under UK261 (formerly it was EU261) and the compensation amounts are in GBP instead of EUR.

The top amount is exactly £520 as given to bexwell by Qatar.

image.png

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/consumer/holiday-cancellations-and-compensation/if-your-flights-delayed-or-cancelled/

OK, I'll change the moral of the story from, it never hurts to ask, to "If you don't ask you don't get" 👍

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1