Walking between Heathrows Bus Terminal & Teminal 4

Siam Addict

https://www.rome2rio.com/map/Uxbridge-England/Heathrow-Terminal-4#r/Bus/s/1

Found this link to get from the centre of Heathrow to Terminal 4. Is this walking along the tracks on the new Elizabeth line which sounds dangerous in the dark tunnels or is it across the airfield? How do you cross the runway? Is there a bridge? Or do the planes stop at a zebra crossing? 

• Haha 3

38 minutes ago, Siam Addict said:

https://www.rome2rio.com/map/Uxbridge-England/Heathrow-Terminal-4#r/Bus/s/1

Found this link to get from the centre of Heathrow to Terminal 4. Is this walking along the tracks on the new Elizabeth line which sounds dangerous in the dark tunnels or is it across the airfield? How do you cross the runway? Is there a bridge? Or do the planes stop at a zebra crossing? 

I hate to tell you this, but you cant. Well you can actually, but you would probably be looking at a walk of around 1.5-2  hours, and even then , you cant walk out of Heathrow Central through the tunnel, you would have to bus it. Think the 555 bus still runs from Central to T4, but that will cost you!

I know you can't but according to the link you can.

You can walk down to the Elizabeth Line and it is free to terminal 4.

And if I wanted to walk all the way I could get on the rear of the train and by the time I walk to the front I would be there!

7 hours ago, Siam Addict said:

I know you can't but according to the link you can.

You can walk down to the Elizabeth Line and it is free to terminal 4.

And if I wanted to walk all the way I could get on the rear of the train and by the time I walk to the front I would be there!

It's quite a good service if changing terminals. Passengers needing to get to and from Terminal 4 can get a free transfer between terminals using the Heathrow Connect train which runs every 15 minutes. Travel between Heathrow terminals on the tube is free of charge if you tap in and out on the ticket barriers using Oyster or Contactless payment cards or by collecting a free terminal transfer ticket from a dedicated ticket machine in each Heathrow station.  

Used to stay at a local hotel and get the free bus into the central area but that service was stopped some time ago.

The only time I have walked through the central airport tunnel was on 20 April 1984 after a bomb blast in terminal 2, the airport was shut down and the only way out for me was on the service road which used to allow bikes through as well as being a walkway. Those small service tunnels are still there but not a great option or may not be accessible now. I think the taxis used to use them, maybe they still do.

• Great Info 1

The service tunnels are closed for traffic at the moment, no idea if they will ever reopen. I remeber using them 20-30 years ago when I done a bit of Mini cabbing, little short cut to the old T1.

I didn't know they had stopped the free buses through the tunnels, I last used that in 2018/19 and a friend would pick me up from the A4

2 hours ago, Siam Addict said:

The service tunnels are closed for traffic at the moment, no idea if they will ever reopen. I remeber using them 20-30 years ago when I done a bit of Mini cabbing, little short cut to the old T1.

I didn't know they had stopped the free buses through the tunnels, I last used that in 2018/19 and a friend would pick me up from the A4

Yes, covid had an effect as per below:

Local buses to Heathrow hotels were often free

Unfortunately the Covid-19 Pandemic hit airports really hard and one of the consequences of this at Heathrow was the removal of the free bus zone around the airport. This though is a temporary measure. Below is the statement from Heathrow explaining the decision:

Changes to subsidies for public transport

"COVID-19 has had a devastating impact on Heathrow’s finances. In November 2020 we announced that we would be suspending the Heathrow Free Travel Zone (FTZ) and end some other local transport subsidies, effective from 1 January 2021. From this date, some bus services in the Heathrow Free Travel Zone were no longer free (4, 7, 8, 442, 555). From 12 June 2021 the remaining buses will no longer be free. We are hoping these changes will be short-lived and once Heathrow’s financial health has been restored, we plan to introduce an improved programme of subsidised and sustainable travel for our colleagues, communities and passengers".

• Great Info 1