Cricket

coxyhog

Scyld Berry was scathing in his criticism of England this morning in the Telegraph:

It was not Bazball, it was not Ben-ball. It was simply brainless.

The way England batted from the moment that Nathan Lyon hobbled from the field was the biggest example of headless chickens since the Old Trafford Test of 1961 when England were confounded by Richie Benaud going round the wicket on the last afternoon.

And the chief culprit was Ollie Pope. The player who was appointed England’s vice-captain before the start of this series was the one who was incapable of reading the blatantly obvious match-situation.

Pope was reported to have a sore shoulder: perhaps the painkillers had dulled his senses. Or put it in a positive way: the chances of Harry Brook, Zak Crawley and Ben Duckett becoming the next England captain have just been vastly enhanced.

I've just turned on.

Are you really telling me we are/were, effectively, 48 -6 .... and the aussies are batting again?

I thought we'd got over the batting collapses.

or, has Bazball set us up for a famous 4th innings win? Can only see one victor in this test, and it ain't us.

Time for a rain dance....

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, Painter said:

I've just turned on.

Are you really telling me we are/were, effectively, 48 -6 .... and the aussies are batting again?

I thought we'd got over the batting collapses.

or, has Bazball set us up for a famous 4th innings win? Can only see one victor in this test, and it ain't us.

Time for a rain dance....

Mark Butcher summed it up for me in saying the team should not lose sight of the aim of an Ashes test match is to win,to beat the Aussies.I think the majority of England fans would take a boring win over an exciting loss any day of the week.

• Thumbs Up 2

England’s high-risk strategy implodes as Australia press for Lord’s Test victory

As Usman Khawaja threatens to bat England out of the second Test, Australia will need to force victory without the injured Nathan Lyon.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, coxyhog said:

Weather is set fair tomorrow so set a foundation this evening & then go for it tomorrow....if they have enough wickets remaining.

And even if they haven't, they'll still go for it...!!

Why didn't they bowl an off stump yorker to Lyons? I know the short ball  finally did for him, but how many did they add before that? 10? 14? 

• Thumbs Up 1