Cricket

coxyhog

59 minutes ago, coxyhog said:

A few ramblings....

Bazball has not been kind to Joe Root but surely when you have two days to get a score like that there is a case for someone to play an anchor role?

In the 4 innings so far Tom Hartley has scored more runs that Bairstow & Root....

Not sure if Brook will be joining the squad but if he does surely not at the expense of Foakes?

Agree with all. Root needs to play like the Root of old, not the bazball Root. Is there too much pressure on him being the team all-rounder? 

Foakes has been blooming good behind the stumps, and can bat a bit. Would Bairstow have been as accomplished behind the stumps? Who knows? But I'd stick with Foakes,  and if Brooke does return play him instead of Bairstow. He can also offer a sort of medium pace variation to the bowling attack...

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, Painter said:

Agree with all. Root needs to play like the Root of old, not the bazball Root. Is there too much pressure on him being the team all-rounder? 

Foakes has been blooming good behind the stumps, and can bat a bit. Would Bairstow have been as accomplished behind the stumps? Who knows? But I'd stick with Foakes,  and if Brooke does return play him instead of Bairstow. He can also offer a sort of medium pace variation to the bowling attack...

Foakes has not gone down the bazball route, he builds his innings with thought about his shots. Need Root to go back to his old ways of playing as well. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Michael Vaughan talking good sense:

The batsmen, meanwhile, look like they only have one way to play. They are in fifth gear from ball one. I don’t mind some of them playing like that because they are better for it. But Joe Root should forget it. He has 10,000 Test runs playing like Joe Root. He doesn’t need to be a Bazballer.

It is time for someone in the management to put an arm around Joe and say “please just be yourself”. I think it’s as simple as the fact that he is too wrapped up in Bazball, the whole ethos of excitement and entertainment.

This is particularly important against spin. Along with Graham Gooch, Root is the best player of spin England has ever produced. To see him bat the way he did in the second innings, that’s not Root, and it’s not the way England are going to win in India, just gifting wickets away.

What’s most frustrating is that he doesn’t dance down the pitch. It’s just not a shot he plays. The fact that at Edgbaston last summer, when he did it to Nathan Lyon, was the only time he’s been stumped in his whole Test career gives you an indication that he plays from his crease. He uses the depth of the crease. He picks up length better than anyone else, going right back onto his stumps. When it’s full, he goes right forward. The way he played on the last tour in India and Sri Lanka on spinning wickets, that’s the way he plays – really good sweep shots.

I knew something was up when I saw him get off the mark in both innings with reverse sweeps. He doesn’t play like that. He gets himself in, then takes risks. Let the firecrackers play like that. Joe has to be the rock, the calming influence while the mad men tee off around him.

• Thumbs Up 3

39 minutes ago, coxyhog said:

Mixed feelings on this... obviously very sad Ashwin has had to return to his mother's side, and sad that he won't be playing but delighted england don't have to face him. Wonder if Stokes will do a Stokes and invite india to play a bowling and batting replacement, or if that is even allowed within the rules...

Edited by Painter

6 minutes ago, Painter said:

I see Root has decided bazball is the way to play, and reverse swept Bumrah to 2nd slip... prime opportunity to bat like the Root of old and build an innings, but...

Which leads to Bairstow missing a cracker from Kuldeep....

Prediction...

India will continue batting and scoring rapidly unit midway through session 2. Declare leaving England ~600 in 4 sessions.

It'll all be over by end of day 4, lunchtime on day 5 latest. India win by 350.

I hope I'm wrong...

2 hours ago, Painter said:

Prediction...

India will continue batting and scoring rapidly unit midway through session 2. Declare leaving England ~600 in 4 sessions.

I hope I'm wrong...

It's going to be a long last day for England....or maybe not!

Surely they have to abandon Bazball & go for the draw?

2 minutes ago, coxyhog said:

It's going to be a long last day for England....or maybe not!

Surely they have to abandon Bazball & go for the draw?

Crawley will be out edging a cover drive

Duckett caught behind driving a wide one.

Pope bowled by a yorker

Root, ramps Bumrah onto his helmet and is caught at square leg

Bairstow hangs around for a few overs, then gets bowled behind his legs

Stokes caught at cow corner

And whilst the tail might wag a bit, it won't be enough.

Abandon bazball? How dare you?!

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Painter said:

Prediction...

I hope I'm wrong...

😞

Embarrassing really.

So .... I get home from a walk at 11.40. At 47 -0  it's looking OK...

At 11.52 it's 47-2, and I'm thinking of going for another walk..

At 11.54 Root survives first ball lbw review and I can feel my blood pressure rising...

Now, will Root play Rootball, or bazball....?