Engines: 2 CFMI CFM56-7B27
Crew: Fatalities: / Occupants: 6
Passengers: Fatalities: / Occupants: 184
Total: Fatalities: 17 / Occupants: 190
Airplane damage: Destroyed
Phase: Landing
Nature: International Scheduled Passenger
Departure airport: Dubai Airport (DXB)
Destination airport: Kozhikode-Calicut Airport (CCJ)
Flightnumber: IX1344
Narrative: Air India Express flight 1344, a Boeing 737-800, suffered a runway excursion on landing at Kozhikode-Calicut Airport, India. Local media report at least 17 fatalities.
The flight departed Dubai Airport, United Arab Emirates at 10:15 UTC on a passenger service to Kozhikode-Calicut Airport.
The aircraft arrived from the west, overflying the airport at 13:42 UTC. It then performed a teardrop approach to runway 28. This approach was discontinued and the aircraft subsequently flew a teardrop approach to runway 10. The aircraft touched down at 14:11 UTC (19:41 local time) but reportedly suffered a runway excursion. Photos from the scene show the nose section had separated from the fuselage after the aircraft went down a slope.

==Weather==
Weather at the time of the approaches and landing was poor. At 14:00 UTC scattered clouds were reported at 300 and 1200 feet with a few Cumulonimbus clouds at 2500 feet and overcast clouds at 8000 feet. The wind was from 260 degrees at 12 knots. Visibility was 2000 m in rain.

==Airport and runway==
The aircraft has a single runway (10/28) which is located on a flattened hill. The Landing Distance Available (LDA) for both directions is 2850 m. The runway strip extended to 60 m beyond the threshold. After the paved surface, there is a runway end safety area (RESA), measuring 93 m x 90 m. The ICAO required RESA length is 90 m, whereas the recommended length is 240 m.
Past the RESA there is a 35 m drop off.

AIRCRAFT PROFILE BOEING 737-800
  • Last fatal accident involving a Boeing 737-800: 5 February 2020 Boeing 737-86J (WL) TC-IZK Pegasus Airlines - 3 fatalties (6 months ago)
  • Total number of hull-losses: 20 (of which 19 were accidents)
  • 7th worst accident involving a Boeing 737-800
  • Survival rate for all fatal Boeing 737-800 accidents: on average 46.8 % of all occupants survived fatal accidents

AIRCRAFT PROFILE BOEING 737 (all series)
  • Last fatal accident involving a Boeing 737: 5 February 2020 Boeing 737-86J (WL) TC-IZK Pegasus Airlines - 3 fatalties (6 months ago)
  • Total number of hull-losses: 217 (of which 198 were accidents)
  • 62nd worst accident involving a Boeing 737
  • Survival rate for all fatal Boeing 737 accidents: on average 36.8 % of all occupants survived fatal accidents

COUNTRY PROFILE INDIA
  • Last fatal airliner/bizjet accident in India: 3 June 2019 Antonov An-32 K2752 Indian Air Force - 13 fatalities (1 year and 2 months ago)
  • Total number of fatal airliner/bizjet accidents: 210
  • Total number of airliner/bizjet fatalities: 3409
  • 46th worst airliner/bizjet accident in India
  • The country is rated Cat. 1 in FAA's International Aviation Safety Assessment Program (IASA)

The Aviation Safety Network (ASN) is an independent organisation based in the Netherlands that provides up-to-date, complete and reliable authoritative information on airliner accidents and safety issues. ASN is an exclusive service of the Flight Safety Foundation (FSF). ASN uses information from authoritative and official sources.

b59f2a73-7c1b-4124-a2d9-94b8ae798318.png

Copyright 2020 Aviation Safety Network

I've said it before and I'll say it again; cramming 190 people into a 737 or A320 is fucking stupid. Nothing to do with the cause of the accident.....but the frequency of accidents of these aircraft, due to the massive numbers of them in operation is all adding up.

This will go down as CFIT. Pilot error. Same as OG269. 

Pilot skill and experience simply not good enough.

THIS is how good they should be - 

The pilot comms at 00:48 is just beyond perfection.

Then, when they're on short finals, ATC gives them windage at 4:38...just a double click of the Mic to confirm. Superb.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, Shaksey said:

ATC gives them windage at 4:38...just a double click of the Mic to confirm. Superb.

Nope... not following the procedure of repeating the instruction. Bad protocole.

And yeah, yeah, I know...it's nearly standard in the military.... 

7 minutes ago, Thai Spice said:

Nope... not following the procedure of repeating the instruction. Bad protocole.

And yeah, yeah, I know...it's nearly standard in the military.... 

Yep. I'll have an ex RAF, FAA, USAF, USN, or most NATO air service pilots over any direct to cockpit trained bods and they can run whatever protocoles they want to get me where I'm going in one piece 🙂

1 minute ago, Shaksey said:

Yep. I'll have an ex RAF, FAA, USAF, USN, or most NATO air service pilots over any direct to cockpit trained bods and they can run whatever protocoles they want to get me where I'm going in one piece 🙂

Pilot on this flight was ex Army, ex test pilot.....

https://www.pprune.org/rumours-news/634628-air-india-runway-excursion.html