Qatar Airways

coxyhog

Arrived in BKK last night from London via Doha.

Plus points:

Both flights left approx on time.

Food in cattle was excellent on both legs,service was good.

2nd leg was a B787 & in cattle was 9 abreast-see below.

Negative points:

Check in at LHR was a bit chaotic,we'd checked in online & printed boarding passes but had to do it again on the self service machines which after scanning the passport came up with "Wait for a member of staff",& not just for us-the staff were very busy.

1st leg was a B777 & in cattle it was 10 abreast,narrow seats & narrow aisles.I had an aisle seat & was continuously getting nudged/knocked by people.

When we arrived I exited about 3 ahead of the missus,with both carry on bags.Then they changed the exit so she wasn't following me.She got it into her head that I didn't wait for her & went to the next gate.After finding where the rest of the pax were exiting from I waited....& waited.Oh & she had my jacket with all my docs in it.

The departure gate was fucking miles from our arrival,Doha is a massive airport & there were thousands of people there.Eventually I got there & was reunited with the missus who instantly went off on one accusing me of not waiting for her.She still believes that😂.

Then we got on a bus which seemed to go for miles to what must've been the most remote stand on the airfield.

Arrived & breezed through the Thai PP/Priority lanes,got our cases & went to find our complementary taxi which was provided by booking.com.

Which wasn't there & nobody answered the phone number they provided.No probs we quickly got a cab & then it took 3 hours to get to the Dynasty Grande,the missus reckoned it was because of it being Valentines....& obviously my fault for booking it to arrive on that day😂.

Now I have to go buy a charger for my laptop as mine is still in our living room at home😂....

PS There seems a lot of negative points but only the first two were down to Qatar Airways.

Edited by coxyhog
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Great Info 2
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, coxyhog said:

Then we got on a bus which seemed to go for miles to what must've been the most remote stand on the airfield.

I've done that bus ride, I think the stand is in Bahrain. 

• Haha 2

I flew business with Qatar in August and October, BKK-DOH-LHR-DOH-BKK, and I was, by and large, disappointed for an airline that regularly claims to be the best or second-best in the world. I wrote a trip report for my own records but never finalised it as I had better things to do.

My first gripe was that all four legs were scheduled to be in Q-Suites. That’s great, especially as they all have aisle access so there’s no need to worry about reserving a seat. Then, a few weeks after booking I was informed that, due to a change of aircraft, the BKK-DOH and DOH-BKK legs would not longer have Q-Suites but the conventional 2-2-2 business class seating in a 777 instead. As I like to have aisle access, I reluctantly coughed up an extra 6,000 Baht to reserve a seat on both legs (3,000 Baht per flight).

All of the first three legs were OK but nothing terribly special. There was nothing in the food or drink or service to write home about, but there was nothing really to complain about either. When I arrived at Doha for the final leg back to Bangkok, I was informed at the gate that the seat reservation I’d paid 3,000 Baht for had been cancelled as they’d changed the plane. I was pretty cheesed off until I saw that it was an A380, which I’ve never flown in before but was keen to do so. That flight was brilliant, one of the best ever, great food, great drink, great service, and a full-size bar behind the business class cabin where I spent the final few hours getting pished with an interesting Chinese guy from Guangzhou. Ten out of ten for that flight with Qatar, anyway.

One aside, when I got to Heathrow for the flight back, they weighed my suitcases and informed me that, at 42 kg, they were 2 kg over the allowance and I would either have to move 2 kg into my hand baggage or pay £65 in excess baggage. I would have tried rearranging the stuff in my cases, or even chucking some cheap things away, but they were chocker full of chilled and frozen food, and I didn't want the staff seeing any of that lot so I decided to pay up. I’ve been flying internationally for almost 60 years and this was the first time an airline anywhere had ever made a fuss about 2 measly kg. And in business, as well, that’s just taking the mick when you’ve paid around three grand for the ticket. Are Qatar the only airline now that’s strictly enforcing the luggage allowance, or are they all up to the same trick?

One further aside, I realised that the seat reservation had been cancelled by the airline not by myself and, according to their own terms and conditions, I was due a refund. After quite some e-mailing to and fro, they finally agreed to refund me the 3,000 Baht for the DOH-BKK leg. Almost 2 months later, I’m still waiting for it.

In terms of price, Qatar still seem to be the best value airline on the LHR-BKK route, unless you really like flying in a crappy little plane all the way to Helsinki. It’s a shame that they’ve become so petty about small extra charges, and the quality of their business class has deteriorated noticeably since my last flight with them before Covid.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Great Info 2

59 minutes ago, Toy Boy said:

I flew business with Qatar in August and October, BKK-DOH-LHR-DOH-BKK, and I was, by and large, disappointed for an airline that regularly claims to be the best or second-best in the world. I wrote a trip report for my own records but never finalised it as I had better things to do.

My first gripe was that all four legs were scheduled to be in Q-Suites. That’s great, especially as they all have aisle access so there’s no need to worry about reserving a seat. Then, a few weeks after booking I was informed that, due to a change of aircraft, the BKK-DOH and DOH-BKK legs would not longer have Q-Suites but the conventional 2-2-2 business class seating in a 777 instead. As I like to have aisle access, I reluctantly coughed up an extra 6,000 Baht to reserve a seat on both legs (3,000 Baht per flight).

All of the first three legs were OK but nothing terribly special. There was nothing in the food or drink or service to write home about, but there was nothing really to complain about either. When I arrived at Doha for the final leg back to Bangkok, I was informed at the gate that the seat reservation I’d paid 3,000 Baht for had been cancelled as they’d changed the plane. I was pretty cheesed off until I saw that it was an A380, which I’ve never flown in before but was keen to do so. That flight was brilliant, one of the best ever, great food, great drink, great service, and a full-size bar behind the business class cabin where I spent the final few hours getting pished with an interesting Chinese guy from Guangzhou. Ten out of ten for that flight with Qatar, anyway.

One aside, when I got to Heathrow for the flight back, they weighed my suitcases and informed me that, at 42 kg, they were 2 kg over the allowance and I would either have to move 2 kg into my hand baggage or pay £65 in excess baggage. I would have tried rearranging the stuff in my cases, or even chucking some cheap things away, but they were chocker full of chilled and frozen food, and I didn't want the staff seeing any of that lot so I decided to pay up. I’ve been flying internationally for almost 60 years and this was the first time an airline anywhere had ever made a fuss about 2 measly kg. And in business, as well, that’s just taking the mick when you’ve paid around three grand for the ticket. Are Qatar the only airline now that’s strictly enforcing the luggage allowance, or are they all up to the same trick?

One further aside, I realised that the seat reservation had been cancelled by the airline not by myself and, according to their own terms and conditions, I was due a refund. After quite some e-mailing to and fro, they finally agreed to refund me the 3,000 Baht for the DOH-BKK leg. Almost 2 months later, I’m still waiting for it.

In terms of price, Qatar still seem to be the best value airline on the LHR-BKK route, unless you really like flying in a crappy little plane all the way to Helsinki. It’s a shame that they’ve become so petty about small extra charges, and the quality of their business class has deteriorated noticeably since my last flight with them before Covid.

Qatar is getting quite infamous.

• Thumbs Up 1

Bangkok Airways also enforces excess charges domestically ... I've paid before for a couple of kgs 

EVA was doing the same on my last flight out , in the economy/ premium line .. personally I don't have an issue with that , some people take the piss and are way way over 

4 hours ago, Toy Boy said:

Enjoyed your report until you slagged off Finnair's crappy plane lol

To be honest for a 2.5 hour flight in business on an Airbus 321 connecting to a brand new business seat on the A350 sounds like a better deal than you possibly experienced on 3 of your legs.

I probably would prefer to go non stop, if in business, or via the middle east if guaranteed an A380 but for cheap Charlies like me who can't afford the the more popular airlines, then Finnair works for me.

My journey on Finnair was most enjoyable, but it was also the great lounge at Helsinki and a wonderful smaller sized airport departure area, that made my vacation special but then again I am only 68 lol

My last trip on Qatar was not a great experience and the airport itself really didn't float my boat but yes, if the flights that you had booked actually had given you the customer service and product you had paid for, it might have given you a more positive experience.

I get discounts on Qatar as they are part of IAG, but I would still prefer Finnair if and when I travel back to Thailand, probably not before summer 2025.

Just wondering, also, what the comparable fares are for when booking business ex Thailand as opposed to booking the journey ex UK, is there a great difference. I used to use Gulf Air business when in Thailand as they were very competitive but the ex UK journey was way above my pay grade.

• Great Info 1

what time did u land was on the 7.30pm landing.if so what was passport control like for non thais.as im due to fly out wednesday night landing around 7.30pm was wondering if its busy at all round that time

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Horizondave said:

Just wondering, also, what the comparable fares are for when booking business ex Thailand as opposed to booking the journey ex UK, is there a great difference.

I've had a few trips booked ex Thailand since Covid messed up lots of plans and deliberately booked a single fare ex UK recently to get back on that track. It works for me but my time spent in the UK is usually less than one month, so maybe benefiting from min/max trip duration for the prices I've been seeing .

• Thumbs Up 1

On 2/16/2024 at 12:39 PM, Toy Boy said:

One aside, when I got to Heathrow for the flight back, they weighed my suitcases and informed me that, at 42 kg, they were 2 kg over the allowance and I would either have to move 2 kg into my hand baggage or pay £65 in excess baggage.

I forgot to put that in my negative points,I had 24kg in my checked bag,where the limit is 25,& I had to move 3kg from my cabin bag to that....which surely made it too heavy.

Given that it's all on the same fucking aeroplane what possible difference did it make?

Jobsworth springs to mind.

• Thumbs Up 1

We are planning a trip to the US from BKK in September, providing we can get a visa for the Mrs.

I travel Business Class these days. I can afford it, barely. My old bones need this at this time in my life.

Anyway, looking out at September the Qatar Business Class prices to/from ORD are comparatively very attractive. Anyone flown Business with them?

29 minutes ago, ChiFlyer said:

We are planning a trip to the US from BKK in September, providing we can get a visa for the Mrs.

I travel Business Class these days. I can afford it, barely. My old bones need this at this time in my life.

Anyway, looking out at September the Qatar Business Class prices to/from ORD are comparatively very attractive. Anyone flown Business with them?

Try and book the flights that offer the Q suites 

They are a good airline and friends have used them , I had a booking , but it was cancelled when Covid hit 

12 hours ago, ChiFlyer said:

I've flown several times with them but nothing as long as the > 14 hours from DOH to ORD. I'm still (just) gold with them thanks to Covid extensions.

Be careful not to book their cheapest Business Class if offered it (P fare) as it doesn't include seat selection or lounge access. There's only one flight daily to ORD but multiple from BKK so check transit times carefully. ORD is scheduled for Q suites but QR change these things all the time so check regularly . They'll give a free change back to Q suites on another day if you want.

Main meals on flights ex-DOH can be pre-ordered about 2 weeks in advance to ensure you get your first choice, and meals are dine on demand so you get what you want, when you want it.

Biggest problems I see is their frequent changes of plane as mentioned, and their recovery if something goes wrong. Staff are not empowered to make decisions with the flexibility you might see elsewhere.

More on Qatar....

DOHA, Jan 17 (Reuters) - A criminal court in Qatar has sentenced the Gulf Arab state's former finance minister to 20 years in prison for laundering more than $5.6 billion, according to a document outlining the judgment seen by Reuters.
The court of first instance also ordered Ali Sherif al-Emadi to pay a fine in excess of 61 billion Qatari riyals ($16.7 billion), consisting of 40.9 billion riyals -- or twice the amount of money he laundered -- plus additional fines amounting to more than 21 billion riyals, the document shows.
Al-Emadi, who is now 55, was arrested in May 2021 when he was one of the most influential business executives in the Middle East. According to reports at the time, the investigation was related only to his activities as finance minister and not his other roles. He was minister from 2013 until his arrest and simultaneously headed the state-owned airline.
A criminal court has now issued its sentence and also fined Al-Emadi a total of QAR61 billion rials (USD16.8 billion), triple the sum he allegedly laundered. He was convicted on charges of bribery, abuse of power, and damage to public funds in addition to money laundering, but the document did not specify further details. He can appeal against the conviction, which the court issued on January 10 and Reuters reported on January 17.

The court also found Nawaf bin Jassim bin Jabor Al Thani, a member of Qatar’s ruling family, guilty of misusing public funds, sentencing him to six years behind bars. Fourteen other individuals received sentences too, in a case that has stunned the country’s financial establishment. A lawyer representing one of the defendants confirmed the contents of the court document that Reuters saw.

• Great Info 2