Renewing my UK Passport

My current UK passport will need to be renewed later this year. It expires in April 2025 but as my retirement extension is due for renewal on January 22nd 2025 i will need to ensure that i am in possession of my new passport and my new RE extension is entered in that passport.

I'm looking at applying for my new passport in say August/September of this year to ensure there's no problems getting it before Jan 22nd 2025 when my RE is due. Now it involves going to VFS Global in Bangkok twice, once to submit the application and then again to pick up my new passport. Now i'm really not happy doing this so i'm considering using an agent.

I've seen an agent advertising on Facebook but i can't remember the name, they were specifically advertising the renewal of UK passports, anybody got a clue ? There were quite a few good recco comments and i believe the cost was 12500bht. Now when you consider the cost of getting to Bangers and back from Korat twice and all the hassle involved with it using this agent would appear to be a no brainer.

Anyone have knowledge of the name of the agent ? TIA 

• Thumbs Up 1

have u checked to see if u can do online on the uk passport site.as when i did mine back in uk all u had to was submit what was reqiured send off urs by secure mail and ur new one would be sent out to u.mine was done in 2 weeks with no hold up old one returned few weeks later clipped.not sure if u can apply for it from here and they will send it out but worth a check

• Great Info 2

2 hours ago, Pumpuynarak said:

Anyone have knowledge of the name of the agent ? TIA 

I had planned on using these when I was still living in Pattaya (purely based on it being the nearest) but now I am out East I am waiting for my ID Card to be issued before I investigate further..

Let us know how things go.....

https://www.keyvisathailand.com/services/renewing-uk-passport-thailand/

• Thumbs Up 1

On that web page it says 12,000/12,500 baht but facebook says this ..

𝗥𝗘𝗡𝗘𝗪 𝗬𝗼𝘂𝗿 𝗨𝗞 𝗣𝗮𝘀𝘀𝗽𝗼𝗿𝘁 𝗪𝗶𝘁𝗵𝗼𝘂𝘁 𝗛𝗮𝘃𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝗧𝗼 𝗘𝘃𝗲𝗻 𝗧𝗿𝗮𝘃𝗲𝗹 𝗧𝗼 𝗕𝗮𝗻𝗴𝗸𝗼𝗸
𝗨𝗞 𝗣𝗮𝘀𝘀𝗽𝗼𝗿𝘁 𝗥𝗲𝗻𝗲𝘄𝗮𝗹 𝗦𝗲𝗿𝘃𝗶𝗰𝗲 🇬🇧 ➡️ http://bit.ly/uk_renewal
𝗚𝗨𝗔𝗥𝗔𝗡𝗧𝗘𝗘𝗗 𝗦𝗧𝗥𝗘𝗦𝗦 𝗙𝗥𝗘𝗘 𝗦𝗘𝗥𝗩𝗜𝗖𝗘 ➡️ 𝗢𝗻𝗹𝘆 𝟱𝟬𝟬𝟬 𝘁𝗵𝗯
  • Great Info 1

8 hours ago, thunder367 said:

have u checked to see if u can do online on the uk passport site.as when i did mine back in uk all u had to was submit what was reqiured send off urs by secure mail and ur new one would be sent out to u.mine was done in 2 weeks with no hold up old one returned few weeks later clipped.not sure if u can apply for it from here and they will send it out but worth a check

I applied for my recent new UK passport online from Singapore. Very simple and quick. I just tried now and i don't see any problem with applying from Thailand (Thailand's on the drop down list)

https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports

I paid £115 plus the cost to send the old passport by EMS

• Thanks 1
  • Great Info 2

19 hours ago, thunder367 said:

My understanding is you can only renew online if you are resident of the UK but i hope i'm wrong but i don't think i am.

• Thumbs Up 1

17 hours ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

I had planned on using these when I was still living in Pattaya (purely based on it being the nearest) but now I am out East I am waiting for my ID Card to be issued before I investigate further..

Let us know how things go.....

https://www.keyvisathailand.com/services/renewing-uk-passport-thailand/

Thanks DD, yep when investigating Google i saw Key Visa and it would appear they have a great looking system where they do everything for you and with you by post. Now the only concern i have with them is the farang that was running the business with his Thai wife has passed away, regular customers were not convinced of the continuance of the high standards of work carried out.

Anyone got any up to date info on Key Visa, are they any good ?   

11 hours ago, Zambo said:

I applied for my recent new UK passport online from Singapore. Very simple and quick. I just tried now and i don't see any problem with applying from Thailand (Thailand's on the drop down list)

I sincerely hope i can, i'll check but...............

11 minutes ago, Pumpuynarak said:

My understanding is you can only renew online if you are resident of the UK but i hope i'm wrong but i don't think i am.

6 minutes ago, Pumpuynarak said:

Thanks DD, yep when investigating Google i saw Key Visa and it would appear they have a great looking system where they do everything for you and with you by post. Now the only concern i have with them is the farang that was running the business with his Thai wife has passed away, regular customers were not convinced of the continuance of the high standards of work carried out.

Anyone got any up to date info on Key Visa, are they any good ?   

I went in there shortly after they re-opened following his death. I was checking the 3 places on that strip for signing the "I'm alive" insurance letter prices. In my time in there I asked a few questions and it seemed they had put their prices up, which is why I pointed out the price difference earlier ..

• Thumbs Up 2

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, Zambo said:

I just found this from your very useful link, so i can't apply/have my new passport sent by post.......

Making your application

You must apply in person. If you’re unable to, someone else can go on your behalf. You must bring photo ID with you.

Bring original supporting documents and a colour photocopy of each one. The original documents will be returned to you.

You must also bring your current passport with you when you apply, and a full colour photocopy of the entire passport (every page including blank pages).

You can’t travel with it after you’ve applied for a new one - but you will be able to keep your existing passport for ID purposes.

You’ll need to book an appointment by email. Include your first name and last name and 3 alternative dates and times. You will receive an email confirming your appointment.

UK Visa Application Centre
The Trendy Office Building,
8th Floor,
Sukhumvit Soi13,
Klongtoey-Nua, Wattana
Bangkok
Thailand

Email: [email protected]

191 Siripanich Building,
6th Floor,
Huay Kaew Road,
Suthep, Mueng
Chiang Mai
Thailand

Getting your passport

Your passport will be delivered to the UK Visa Application Centre where you applied.

They will contact you - using the details on your application form - when your passport is ready to collect.

You must collect in person. If you’re unable to, someone else can go on your behalf.

You must bring your existing passport as photo ID.

You must sign your new passport before you can use it.

Contact the Passport Adviceline

Telephone: +44 (0) 300 222 0000
Monday to Friday, 8am to 8pm (UK time)
Saturday, Sunday and public holidays, 9am to 5:30pm (UK time)

Find out about call charges
Edited by Pumpuynarak
  • Thanks 1

Well i've just found the agent i had seen on Facebook, they are www.mythaivisa.com. How strange they are advertising their UK passport renewal service on FB but their website has no mention of it :default_ermm: 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Pumpuynarak said:

I just found this from your very useful link, so i can't apply/have my new passport sent by post.......

Making your application

You must apply in person. If you’re unable to, someone else can go on your behalf. You must bring photo ID with you.

Bring original supporting documents and a colour photocopy of each one. The original documents will be returned to you.

You must also bring your current passport with you when you apply, and a full colour photocopy of the entire passport (every page including blank pages).

You can’t travel with it after you’ve applied for a new one - but you will be able to keep your existing passport for ID purposes.

You’ll need to book an appointment by email. Include your first name and last name and 3 alternative dates and times. You will receive an email confirming your appointment.

The Trendy Office Building,
8th Floor,
Sukhumvit Soi13,
Klongtoey-Nua, Wattana
Bangkok
Thailand

191 Siripanich Building,
6th Floor,
Huay Kaew Road,
Suthep, Mueng
Chiang Mai
Thailand

Getting your passport

Your passport will be delivered to the UK Visa Application Centre where you applied.

They will contact you - using the details on your application form - when your passport is ready to collect.

You must collect in person. If you’re unable to, someone else can go on your behalf.

You must bring your existing passport as photo ID.

You must sign your new passport before you can use it.

Contact the Passport Adviceline

Telephone: +44 (0) 300 222 0000
Monday to Friday, 8am to 8pm (UK time)
Saturday, Sunday and public holidays, 9am to 5:30pm (UK time)

Find out about call charges

Surprising. My passport was sent to my Singapore address without having any in person contact. I did the same with one of my kids.

Screenshot_20240311_120045_Gmail.jpg

i'm definitely not resident in the UK, i haven't been there for 4 years and haven't had a UK home address since my father died. Maybe the Singapore delivery services are more trusted.

The pricing your finding for the service seems not bad.

• Thumbs Up 2

36 minutes ago, Zambo said:

Surprising. My passport was sent to my Singapore address without having any in person contact. I did the same with one of my kids.

Screenshot_20240311_120045_Gmail.jpg

i'm definitely not resident in the UK, i haven't been there for 4 years and haven't had a UK home address since my father died. Maybe the Singapore delivery services are more trusted.

The pricing your finding for the service seems not bad.

Very strange ehh ? You're quite correct in saying that Thailand is on the drop down listing but this selection just confirms that you can only do with VFS Global in person, no doubt Singapore is different in allowing by post.

• Thumbs Up 1

This morning, I looked at the passport renewal from a different perspective i.e. is there an agent in Ubon that does it. I have found a couple that seem OK. Yep it is an hour drive away but I can fit in a trip to Makro at the same time to buy wine...Perfik!!

Then I thought about you my fat furry friend...How about you give this mob in Korat a tinkle ....

https://www.thaivisauk.com/การบริการ/พาสปอร์ตอังกฤษ

Edited by Derek Dangleberries
  • Thanks 1

I got a passport for my daughter (we lived in Hua Hin) but did need to go to the Trendy building with all the docs etc., we received the passport back at home in Hua Hin, 8 days after we applied in Bangkok. The passport was received from a UK passport office which I thought was a bloody good service.

Thought I read here or somewhere else that the VFS was moving from the Trendy Building, I may be wrong. Still certainly showing as the correct location presently.

You should be able to get a new passport online, without the need to visit Bangkok, if it is a renewal:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/renew-your-passport-online-in-3-easy-steps/renew-your-passport-online-in-3-easy-steps-accessible

• Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

19 hours ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

This morning, I looked at the passport renewal from a different perspective i.e. is there an agent in Ubon that does it. I have found a couple that seem OK. Yep it is an hour drive away but I can fit in a trip to Makro at the same time to buy wine...Perfik!!

Then I thought about you my fat furry friend...How about you give this mob in Korat a tinkle ....

https://www.thaivisauk.com/การบริการ/พาสปอร์ตอังกฤษ

Thanks DD, i could not find how to get in English ?

13 hours ago, Horizondave said:

I got a passport for my daughter (we lived in Hua Hin) but did need to go to the Trendy building with all the docs etc., we received the passport back at home in Hua Hin, 8 days after we applied in Bangkok. The passport was received from a UK passport office which I thought was a bloody good service.

Thought I read here or somewhere else that the VFS was moving from the Trendy Building, I may be wrong. Still certainly showing as the correct location presently.

You should be able to get a new passport online, without the need to visit Bangkok, if it is a renewal:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/renew-your-passport-online-in-3-easy-steps/renew-your-passport-online-in-3-easy-steps-accessible

So you did'nt have to go to the VFS Global office at Trendy building to pick up your daughters passport, how did you manage that ?

Yes VFS Global has moved office.

I've followed the supposed method for completing online whilst resident in Thailand but it just refers you to VFS Global and you have to attend in person to submit your application and then pick it up when ready.

1 hour ago, Yesitisdakid said:

I just did my renewal ad I did so 18 months before it was required. Gives me lots of time if there is any problems to get it taken care of

Did you manage to do online ?

22 minutes ago, Pumpuynarak said:

Thanks for all your helpful replies guys, i now have a few options for a suitable agent. There's no way i'm traveling to Bangers twice !!!

Yep, there have been some damned good ideas to mull over.

I have 2 ideas..

1.  I have to drive 10 hours to Pattaya anyway to empty my PO Box but I'm waiting until all the P60s should be in. THEN I may hand in my passport to an agent so that they can post the new one back to me when renewed.

2.  On my next one hour drive to Ubon I can do Makro, 90 Day at Immigration (Bloody excellent service there - Best I've been to) THEN pop into an agent with my passport ....

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

Yep, there have been some damned good ideas to mull over.

I have 2 ideas..

1.  I have to drive 10 hours to Pattaya anyway to empty my PO Box but I'm waiting until all the P60s should be in. THEN I may hand in my passport to an agent so that they can post the new one back to me when renewed.

2.  On my next one hour drive to Ubon I can do Makro, 90 Day at Immigration (Bloody excellent service there - Best I've been to) THEN pop into an agent with my passport ....

I'm voting for idea 1

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Pumpuynarak said:

So you did'nt have to go to the VFS Global office at Trendy building to pick up your daughters passport, how did you manage that ?

Yes VFS Global has moved office.

I've followed the supposed method for completing online whilst resident in Thailand but it just refers you to VFS Global and you have to attend in person to submit your application and then pick it up when ready.

You have the option of having the passport returned by courier, well at least I did in 2017.

Things may have changed, but I believe they appreciate the need to attend for application is essential but the need to return the passport is served better for many by offering a courier service.

The passport may have been returned to the Trendy building from UK but it was sent on to me in Hua Hin.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1