Jump to content
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
Krapow

Health insurance now mandatory

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Bazle said:

Not talking about me. I don't want insurance in Thailand - I decided long ago to "self-insure".

Was replying to your reply... not assuming you actually have or want insurance.

If the policy is not adequate, buy a better policy...... or self insure, which raises the question... how much is needed to self insure ... an old work collegue had a decent stroke and ended up in ICU for weeks with several  drain holes in his head to remove fluid, from there he spent  months in a private room.... cost the insurance company was 4 million baht according to the HR dept.

My little stroke only cost the insurance company 600k.

Edited by Sir_Fondles

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

400K will get you public hospital treatement for most things incl a private room.  it isnt enuf for the hiso places like BHP and PIH  for muchother than a small problem .    but at least someone will have cover to get treatement

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The pricing practice of private hospitals is also not helping.

Here for instance, private hospitals have clearly 3 rates for everything.

Local

Expat resident (with proof of long term visa like retirement visa ..)

Tourist

I visited 3 hospitals in the first months here, to see which one to use in case of need. 

#1 were rather discreet about it, but said that residents have better prices than tourists

#2 had 3 different price lists,  clearly marked but at least they hand you only the one that concerns your "profile"

#3 has a price list with 3 different chapters, clearly marked "Indonesian, Expat, Tourist"

I had a look, prices go in a 1, 2, 3 ratio....

And if you mention you have insurance......🙈🙈

Pretty sure Thailand is rather similar.

Live under the tropics has its charm....

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No different than it is now. Obviously those saying to get a better policy are no where seventy years old. The insurance company priced me out when I turned sixty five years old.

  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Gary said:

No different than it is now. Obviously those saying to get a better policy are no where seventy years old. The insurance company priced me out when I turned sixty five years old.

Correct, Iam well short of 70 but you can be sure when Iam 70 and cannot either get an adequate policy or afford one I would be moving home..................... or be a dead beat and rely on family an friends to grovel for cash on gofundme cause they are too tight to bail me out because I made some really pathetic life decisions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The announcement didn't mention those on extensions of stay (eg retirement), only those with long term visas.  Was that deliberate because those with extensions have already met financial requirements and aren't affected by this?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, KWA said:

The announcement didn't mention those on extensions of stay (eg retirement), only those with long term visas.  Was that deliberate because those with extensions have already met financial requirements and aren't affected by this?

That is one of the many important, unanswered questions. Which is why I thought Tommy's video was a bit alarmist.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, KWA said:

The announcement didn't mention those on extensions of stay (eg retirement), only those with long term visas.  Was that deliberate because those with extensions have already met financial requirements and aren't affected by this?

if you go read Thaivisa according to some of those knuckle draggers this affect every single visa and extension, in reality though to date only the O-A visa has been mentioned

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, KWA said:

The announcement didn't mention those on extensions of stay (eg retirement), only those with long term visas.  Was that deliberate because those with extensions have already met financial requirements and aren't affected by this?

Could be something lost in translation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, misteregg said:

This makes sense. Nobody should scrounge off the Thai health care system.

As a foreigner I would think the Thai system would be free

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, misteregg said:

This makes sense. Nobody should scrounge off the Thai health care system.

You and Lanza will both need bereavement counselling and therapy after the play offs ???

Baggies and now Revie's bribe payers losing out in play offs ..... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Instead of faffing around with farangs getting health insurance why don't they just put us all in the government scheme and charge us a yearly premium ?

I think i know the answer lol

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Lanzalad said:

As a foreigner I would think the Thai system would be free

Hell, it's not like we don't pay any tax here. How much of the average monthly farang booze bill goes to the government in tax and excise? Thousands of Baht, and much more if you're a wine or imported spirit drinker. Add on to that VAT on most stuff you buy, tobacco tax if you're a smoker, and all the other indirect fiscal contributions we make, and then they have the cheek to complain that we're robbing the system. The cheap sods should be paying us a Thai state pension as well as giving us free medical care in government hospitals. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 One key factor is the deductible.   I've always used high deductible health plans in America and in Thailand I've got only inpatient coverage with a high deductible.   It looks like I'll have to get 40k of outpatient coverage.    What if I get that with a 40k deductible?  It will be very cheap but not exactly in the spirit of what they're asking for..     

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just a thought I wonder if it will be cheaper to get a work permit to stay here even if you never plan to work ?.

JDM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, JDM said:

Just a thought I wonder if it will be cheaper to get a work permit to stay here even if you never plan to work ?.

JDM

How would you obtain the work permit ?

Genuine question as I have an employer in Thailand that is currently going through the process to obtain one for me and apparently it is extremely hard these days to the point they will most likely employ me at their Melbourne facilty and send me to Thailand from there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Sir_Fondles said:

How would you obtain the work permit ?

Genuine question as I have an employer in Thailand that is currently going through the process to obtain one for me and apparently it is extremely hard these days to the point they will most likely employ me at their Melbourne facilty and send me to Thailand from there.

You would still need a work permit. Except if playing with a Business visa ?

Have been employed by our French HQ all my life, but still needed a W.P in any country I worked. Although we always had an important local branch.

And yep, we sometimes used a B visa as "technical assistant"... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Thai Spice said:

You would still need a work permit. Except if playing with a Business visa ?

Have been employed by our French HQ all my life, but still needed a W.P in any country I worked. Although we always had an important local branch.

And yep, we sometimes used a B visa as "technical assistant"... 

Yeah, I know.

This aint my first rodeo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sir_Fondles said:

How would you obtain the work permit ?

Genuine question as I have an employer in Thailand that is currently going through the process to obtain one for me and apparently it is extremely hard these days to the point they will most likely employ me at their Melbourne facilty and send me to Thailand from there.

if you are over 60 you can still get the WP no problem but you will not get the Thai Medical that those 59 and younger get. 60 is the cutoff for the medical coverage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Yesitisdakid said:

if you are over 60 you can still get the WP no problem but you will not get the Thai Medical that those 59 and younger get. 60 is the cutoff for the medical coverage.

Yeah I was more thinking of the company paperwork needed for someone obtaining a work permit with no actual desire to work.

As one would need a non B visa I dont really see what advantages the work permit brings if not intending to work.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...