Hotel Safes, cash machines, Thai Bank account

Nightcrawler

47 minutes ago, maipenrai said:

What a dickhead - I've been leaving tips for cleaners for years and I just put the bills under the pillow. I'm actually a pretty tidy guy myself but I can easily imagine some of the crap the cleaners have to put up with from others. 

In one venue I kept leaving tips like this and the money would be on the table when I returned - I had to find the manager and tell him to pass on to the cleaner that it had been left for her deliberately, she was just too honest for her own good. 

I have also had cleaners replacing money I have left for a tip onto the counter. Now I usually put the towels on the bed and put the tip on top so that it is obvious. Often in or under an ashtray if there is one.

I have also been in a hotel where a guest had 100 euros taken from the safe by a member of staff with the ''master code''. He confronted the person involved and showed them the video evidence. They promptly returned the money and did a runner, never to be seen again!

I also have a Thai bank account and tend not to keep much money in the room safe. My valuables are kept inside a locked bag inside the safe similar to what's already been shown.

On one of my side trips to the PI a BM here showed me a device for preventing normal opening of a room safe called a Milockie, I have since purchesed one and will use it from now on!

• Thumbs Up 1

Quite a long time ago now, a fellow BM here and I checked into a "boutique" hotel in Bangkok. 

We went out for a meal, and returned to find both our rooms had been broken into, .......... and the safe in his room had been stolen! 

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, maipenrai said:

I stayed at a newer, Chinese-built hotel in Phnom Penh that had a modern electronic room safe, however it was just sitting on the shelf loosely, they hadn't even fastened it down....

I assume you took it with you when you checked out 😉

• Haha 1