Cargo Ship Crashes into Baltimore (US) Bridge

lazarus

Ship pilots belong to the port and only direct the ship until it reaches whatever point is designated as not being in the port . They meet inbound ship before this point and direct them into port. They are very familiar this their little section of the waterway, its tides, currents and such.

Video of the first cut.

It'll be interesting to see what design they use for the replacement bridge. On design I heard that could be under consideration would be a cable-stayed bridge. It would get my vote as I think it's a beautiful looking bridge.

bridge-Neva-River-Russia-St-Petersburg.webp

• Thumbs Up 1

51 minutes ago, forcebwithu said:

Video of the first cut.

It'll be interesting to see what design they use for the replacement bridge. On design I heard that could be under consideration would be a cable-stayed bridge. It would get my vote as I think it's a beautiful looking bridge.

bridge-Neva-River-Russia-St-Petersburg.webp

To avoid having pylons on the water you need to span about 1.6km.

image.png

Cable-stayed bridges can span about 1km. Suspension bridges (think Golden Gate) can span over 2km.

• Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, fygjam said:

To avoid having pylons on the water you need to span about 1.6km.

image.png

Cable-stayed bridges can span about 1km. Suspension bridges (think Golden Gate) can span over 2km.

Make up the difference by extending Sollers Point and Hawkins Point out about 600m?

3 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

Make up the difference by extending Sollers Point and Hawkins Point out about 600m?

The collapsed bridge had a couple of piers, so replacing those with one central one (with sufficient protection) should be a no brainer.

I was going to post, “why not a tunnel?” But I googled first and saw there were discussions to make it a tunnel originally. Price and HAZMAT limitations scuttled that idea.

• Thumbs Up 1

No matter the type of bridge (cable stay, suspension, steel truss etc.) the longer the main span the higher the cost. Tunnels almost always more expensive than bridges, especially if you need to tunnel not construct cut and cover.