Amazing Nature

• 2 weeks later...

Fake snakes, bricks, sneakers: How Sydneysiders are fighting the cockatoo bin war

Bricks, fake snakes and Dunlop volleys have been enlisted by Sydneysiders in what scientists have dubbed an “arms race” between humans and cockatoos, the latter of which are teaching each other to ransack the city’s bins in a rapidly proliferating interspecies war of innovation

8e71f2dff51829dbdbd97956bb6d76b653cca47b

Sulphur-crested cockatoos were first observed flipping open bin lids to raid the juicy spoils inside about 10 years ago, but the behaviour was limited to three suburbs around Stanwell Park. Barely two years later, flocks had picked up the trend across 44 suburbs.

“It’s been spreading to the Sutherland area, out to Campbelltown, and we get the occasional report from other parts of Sydney and down in the Illawarra,” said Dr John Martin, a senior ecologist at Ecosure Environmental Consultancy.

Now, the parrot piracy has hit the northern beaches.

“Clever cockies around Newport and Avalon shops have worked out how to open the waste bins to access the food scraps within,” the council warned on Thursday.

“Shop owners have had enough, using weights to stop the crafty birds raiding their rubbish and creating mess.”

9507461a63ecab14b5be711735d812ac9b89c210

Cockatoos within one flock learn from each other and use the same method to flip open bins. A flock the suburb over might observe and adopt the practice but put their own spin on the technique – for example, prising a lid open with a foot rather than their beak.

Techniques to deter the cockatoos include weighing down the bin lids with bricks (easily dispatched), spooking the birds with plastic snakes (the fear factor doesn’t last), wedging sneakers or metal springs into the bin’s hinge (limited success), and locks that block cockatoos but allow the bin to open when tipped by a garbage truck (seems to work, but it’ll cost you).

https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/fake-snakes-bricks-sneakers-how-sydneysiders-are-fighting-the-cockatoo-bin-war-20240418-p5fkvs.html

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Surprised 1

1 hour ago, lazarus said:

gettyimages-2147972586.webp

‘Magical’ moment as surfer shares wave with pod of dolphins as she wins first world championship tour event

https://edition.cnn.com/2024/04/21/sport/gabriela-bryan-dolphins-spt-intl/index.html

In a search for a high res shot of this I found this YT video of another similar encounter. I also saw numerous other pics of dolphins playing in the waves (link), so not as uncommon as one might imagine.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, forcebwithu said:

so not as uncommon as one might imagine...

It's their ocean, right..? 😉

I think the novelty here ("amazing") is it's from a final round at a recent WSL Championship tour event. Best competitive surfers in the world. (See min 2:30 in the vdo below.)

. . .

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

39 minutes ago, lazarus said:

It's their ocean, right..? 😉

I think the novelty here ("amazing") is it's from a final round at a recent WSL Championship tour event. Best competitive surfers in the world. (See min 2:30 in the vdo below.)

. . .

In my many years of windsurfing I never experienced sailing with dolphins. I did on a couple of occasions spot sharks just below the surface.

What was incredible was night windsurfing when the sea bioluminescence was active. Couldn't find any windsurfing images, but plenty of surfing pics and video out there of amazing nature putting on a light show.

image.jpeg

• Like 3

1 minute ago, forcebwithu said:

In my many years of windsurfing I never experienced sailing with dolphins. I did on a couple of occasions spot sharks just below the surface...

I windsurfed for awhile. One of my local 'go to' spots was Half Moon Bay south of San Francisco. Friends who lived there (who knew fishermen) told me to watch out for sharks. Never saw one.

I saw dolphins gliding in waves with surfers in west Malibu, California. I used to stay at a house there overlooking the ocean. Beautiful part of the world.

. . .

Here's a Killer Whale and her calf that I photographed at Monterey Bay, California (2017).

. . .

20170427-IMG_3687.jpg

20170427-IMG_3690.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 3