Does it Exist: An Official Thai Language Proficiency Test(s)?

Hi all,

I will be emigrating to Thailand in the next 6 months or so. I am a natural Polyglot (English, Welsh, Gaeilge, Argentine Spanish, German & Hindustani), I did have Mandarin under my belt, but lost the spark for it over the years. Yet, since I'm relocating to Thailand forever, Thai needs to be added to the collection. Online searches come up blank about any proficiency tests for Thai, so it is unlikely that one exists? It is a huge shame if there isn't yet!

If there are no official proficiency tests, what would you think is the next best thing  is? I'm hoping to be based in and around Chiang Mai (Bangkok as a back-up) if location is important. I learned the alphabet and survival phrases back in 2016 when I last lived in Thailand, but naturally it has been exterminated from my memory (don't use it...lose it!). But I would rather start from the beginning after I have arrived rather than cramming in non-natural textbook vocabulary weeks/months before the flight. I want to learn the real, natural Thai spoken everyday from the very start.

With textbooks in mind, are there any that would be useful to purchase before flying out? I'm currently based in the UK. Maybe it is a better idea to buy them once in Thailand though? I would love to read some recommendations!  

27 minutes ago, Farang-Jono said:

Hi all,

I will be emigrating to Thailand in the next 6 months or so. I am a natural Polyglot (English, Welsh, Gaeilge, Argentine Spanish, German & Hindustani), I did have Mandarin under my belt, but lost the spark for it over the years. Yet, since I'm relocating to Thailand forever, Thai needs to be added to the collection. Online searches come up blank about any proficiency tests for Thai, so it is unlikely that one exists? It is a huge shame if there isn't yet!

If there are no official proficiency tests, what would you think is the next best thing  is? I'm hoping to be based in and around Chiang Mai (Bangkok as a back-up) if location is important. I learned the alphabet and survival phrases back in 2016 when I last lived in Thailand, but naturally it has been exterminated from my memory (don't use it...lose it!). But I would rather start from the beginning after I have arrived rather than cramming in non-natural textbook vocabulary weeks/months before the flight. I want to learn the real, natural Thai spoken everyday from the very start.

With textbooks in mind, are there any that would be useful to purchase before flying out? I'm currently based in the UK. Maybe it is a better idea to buy them once in Thailand though? I would love to read some recommendations!  

I've been doing beginners courses based on transliteration.

This seems to be precisely what you don't need.

If in the past you've been able to learn the Thai alphabet, I think you'll figure out the best way yourself.

27 minutes ago, Lemondropkid said:

I've been doing beginners courses based on transliteration.

This seems to be precisely what you don't need.

If in the past you've been able to learn the Thai alphabet, I think you'll figure out the best way yourself.

I find transliteration quite unhelpful too as it seems very academically and linguistically inclined - depending on the transliteration system. The fact that there are several transliteration systems makes them defunct right away in my opinion.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, Farang-Jono said:

I find transliteration quite unhelpful too as it seems very academically and linguistically inclined - depending on the transliteration system.

I agree with you, especially with the "depending on the transliteration system".

8 minutes ago, Farang-Jono said:

The fact that there are several transliteration systems makes them defunct right away in my opinion.

There have to be several transliteration systems, I can't use a Latin transliteration system from Thai when I am using the Greek or Cyrillic alphabet and I have to assume the one for Kanji is different as well. And taking into account the differences in pronunciation in different languages using the Latin alphabet, I'd say pick one that conforms most to your native language or favorite second language if there isn't an appropriate transliteration for your native language. I once started learning Thai using an English course and that was less than a perfect fit, although my English is good enough to fool most people into thinking I am a native speaker (I am Dutch born and bred).

8 hours ago, Farang-Jono said:

Hi all,

Here's an analysis of Bangkok schools that might be useful.

https://www.expatden.com/thailand/language-school-bangkok/#Courses_and_Teaching_Methods

The analysis of each school's teaching methods may highlight the best fit for you.

Given some of will have branches outside of BKK there may be other locations to suit.

I've not found it an easy task finding the right school and tutor for myself. I am going to keep trying till I get there though🙂

I don't think transliteration should be given up on. Chinese pinyin is taught at primary school and secondary school in Singapore for pupils who are familiar with a Latin alphabet, but of course they also need to learn chinese characters.

Vietnamese on the other hand  is written using the Vietnamese alphabet (chữ Quốc ngữ). The alphabet is based on the Latin alphabet and was officially adopted many years ago. It seems there is no difficulty to deal with tones in this way.

My thought is that transliteration is a good way to start learning Thai, but if you want to learn to fluency i doubt learning to read and write Thai can be avoided.

I have never attempted to read and write Thai - seems a bit tricky.

1 hour ago, Zambo said:

[...]

I have never attempted to read and write Thai - seems a bit tricky.

I started on that and I got to the point that I had a serious disconnect in the taxi on the way back to the airport when reading the road signs. Right on top of each other were two place names, the one on top larger than the one on the bottom. The top one read "กรุงเทพ" (Krung Thep), the bottom one read "Bangkok". It took me a moment before I realized both names referred to the same place.