Pattaya eccentrics - A thing of the past?.

Butch

On 4/18/2024 at 4:44 PM, Jambo said:

The definition of eccentric is "unconventional and slightly strange."

Is that not how the general public as a whole view (at the very least) all expats? 😄

As for solo regular male visitors to Thailand? They think we are all having sex with Thai females half our age.

I wish 🤣

The way I stumble down the soi's (even on a good day), sweating, grumbling, moaning, shaking my head and barking at people,,,,, I may actually fit into this category.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, Glasseye said:

The way I stumble down the soi's (even on a good day), sweating, grumbling, moaning, shaking my head and barking at people,,,,, I may actually fit into this category.

If you see me coming the other way doing a similar thing give me a head wobble so I know it is you.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

On 4/19/2024 at 8:10 AM, Derek Dangleberries said:

I think there are a few, including me, that thinks this thread is exactly where that meal belongs mate !!!!

😂😂😂 Bloody hell Derek I was thinking the exact same thing!!.

One observation that I made recently, well, more of a comparison actually is that in the past the eccentrics were harmless, they'd interact , be happy to chat and were just doing it because they were eccentric and enjoyed bringing happiness to others, like Glitterman.

Nowadays maybe it's more of a poor mental health thing. I detected an air of hostility in Pattaya in general this trip, and while I didn't see anyone I'd class as eccentric, the place does have a pretty good track record for sending people mad.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

4 minutes ago, Butch said:

Nowadays maybe it's more of a poor mental health thing. I detected an air of hostility in Pattaya in general this trip, and while I didn't see anyone I'd class as eccentric, the place does have a pretty good track record for sending people mad.

Aggressive drunks in bars are a nuisance. Liars and fantasists are  boring, taking the piss out of them just bounces off. The "writers",  "artists", "photographers" and "cinematographers" do bring a more intellectual slant to sex tourism. But real eccentrics i don't see many.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 4

13 hours ago, Zambo said:

Aggressive drunks in bars are a nuisance. Liars and fantasists are  boring, taking the piss out of them just bounces off. The "writers",  "artists", "photographers" and "cinematographers" do bring a more intellectual slant to sex tourism. But real eccentrics i don't see many.

Don't forget those that served in "special forces' all around the world. They'd love to tell you more about it but its "classified" :-)

• Haha 4

4 hours ago, Shuggy said:

Don't forget those that served in "special forces' all around the world. They'd love to tell you more about it but its "classified" 🙂

I met an American "can't talk about it" former serviceman yesterday afternoon in Udon. I was doing dad taxi so hadn't had a drink and TBH this guy was a loudmouth drunk. It was around 2pm. Even though we were sat on seperate tables, he insisted on trying to hold a conversation, or rather talk at me.

Just so happened the 2 guys I went to meet were also from the States, one (you met him @boydeste) ex US armygreen of 25 years and the other although retired for 10 years,  is/was the genuine article who really does not talk about his service to his country.

So my 2 friends turn up and as soon as the wannabe heard the accents he invited himself to come and sit at our table. He lasted about 5 mins. It was like watching an interogation and I almost felt sorry for him when he realised how totally out of his depth and "out ranked" he was. They were brutal, no mercy whatsoever and he got found out and sent on his sorry way.

I have had similar experiences with other fantasists in Thailand. Got to be honest and admit that I often don't care if they are telling or embelishing the truth as long as I am in the right mood and its a good story.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, Smiler said:

I met an American "can't talk about it" former serviceman yesterday afternoon in Udon. I was doing dad taxi so hadn't had a drink and TBH this guy was a loudmouth drunk. It was around 2pm. Even though we were sat on seperate tables, he insisted on trying to hold a conversation, or rather talk at me.

Just so happened the 2 guys I went to meet were also from the States, one (you met him @boydeste) ex US armygreen of 25 years and the other although retired for 10 years,  is/was the genuine article who really does not talk about his service to his country.

So my 2 friends turn up and as soon as the wannabe heard the accents he invited himself to come and sit at our table. He lasted about 5 mins. It was like watching an interogation and I almost felt sorry for him when he realised how totally out of his depth and "out ranked" he was. They were brutal, no mercy whatsoever and he got found out and sent on his sorry way.

I have had similar experiences with other fantasists in Thailand. Got to be honest and admit that I often don't care if they are telling or embelishing the truth as long as I am in the right mood and its a good story.

With that set up..... can tear a guy to shreds without even blinking an eye or missing a swig. And all with a smile.

Your buddies were happy all night I'm sure. Those kinds of unexpected moments are truly relished, and don't come up much. I'd reckon they are still pumped about it.

10 minutes ago, Glasseye said:

With that set up..... can tear a guy to shreds without even blinking an eye or missing a swig. And all with a smile.

Your buddies were happy all night I'm sure. Those kinds of unexpected moments are truly relished, and don't come up much. I'd reckon they are still pumped about it.

You know what I am not so sure…

Both are laid back guys who enjoy their lives and possess the outstanding character trait of being able to laugh at themselves.

But

They are proud of their service and don’t suffer fools gladly who insult the institutions they were involved in.

It was my impression they were really quite annoyed with the guy and almost embarrassed by him.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

23 minutes ago, Smiler said:

You know what I am not so sure…

Both are laid back guys who enjoy their lives and possess the outstanding character trait of being able to laugh at themselves.

But

They are proud of their service and don’t suffer fools gladly who insult the institutions they were involved in.

It was my impression they were really quite annoyed with the guy and almost embarrassed by him.

That's why usually you just like being able to tuck it quickly into your pocket. But sometimes that ain't an option.