Golf

Archie43

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday evening I decided to dust off the old sticks and get in 9 holes before dark. I must say it was some of my most enjoyable golf, ever. It showed me that even though I’ve lost huge distance, the game is still playable and fun can be had. I shot 51 on a par 37 from the back tees, and got about 9,000 steps in the very humid weather. Even though I’m only down about 10 pounds from the last 9 holes I played a year ago, I was much less fatigued, my best shot was actually on my final hole. I’m guessing I could still shoot 82-85 while driving it 200 yards like I am now, up to me to lose the weight and follow a dedicated flexibility program to get those yards back if I ever want to approach scratch golf again. 

3C014BC4-FD6A-4B94-9793-246E74D773A1.jpeg

72AD937C-4725-4524-AD3F-B33580A3562B.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

So yesterday decided to take a drive and play a full 18 holes walking, doubling my output of the last 2 summers.Problem was, I picked a hilly course of almost 7000 yards, with very long walks between tee boxes, on a windy day, at 315 pounds.......was a rough day for me. Temps were about 60F, ball was going nowhere as usual, again very discouraging how much distance I’ve lost. ZERO greens in regulation, but managed to scrape together 3 pars, one of them a par 5, hit my 60 degree Vokey to 6 feet from 90 yards downwind(usually goes 70 now). Anyway, I sat on a few benches on the back 9 to take a break, the uphill walks were murder, and was very happy to finish- an 18,000 step day. Oh and they had a hole Zero to start, so it’s a full 19 holes

Might go for a driver fitting at my local GolfTown, don’t feel like spending $600 on 

a single club, but I feel with all these launch statistics they have now, I might be able to squeeze 240 yards from my current swing instead of 190. And apparently the Titleist Velocity is THE ball to buy for distance, at half the price of PROV1, going to get a dozen. 

I was joined by these guys on the back 9 for the last 4 holes or so

AB624926-69C8-4DB4-9C4A-F8887CF542CC.jpeg

DBC3B3D3-BF6B-41ED-9150-236FC599C4B0.jpeg

Edited by Golfingboy
  • Like 1

Just got a wealth of info from my visit to GolfTown. Had one of the employees give me a 10.5 degree TaylorMade driver, with regular shaft and hit about a dozen balls into the simulator. The last few were good, best carry was 216 yards, much longer than my best on the course since my “comeback”. He also said don’t bother with 12 degrees, that’s for very short hitters, and when I change my irons, regular steel shafts should be my choice, I’m swinging too slow to justify stiff. 

Also picked up this little trio of accessories, the line on the ball should help both off the tee and sinking more putts. Got that dozen of Titleist Velocity too, anxious to see how far they fly. 

So even though it’s a huge hit to my ego to see how much my distance has decreased, I was honest enough with myself to admit that as a golfer, there’s  no shame in exploiting the technology to your gain. Getting older and playing with clubs from 15 years ago, including a 9.5 degree Nike driver with a very stiff shaft, I am just making the game more difficult. Don’t know much $$$ I will invest in new equipment, but I will start with a higher lofted driver, maybe even a used one, and take it from there. 
I really missed the game these last 6-7 years, I’ve always loved it, and it’s about to get much more fun knowing what I know now. I will continue to lose some weight which should help even more.....one day/round at a time 

F332579A-231B-408E-8F33-07347B00D234.jpeg

Edited by Golfingboy
  • Like 1

Another beautiful day on the golf course this evening, a hidden jewel about 25 miles from Downtown Montreal I last played about 15 years ago.

http://www.golfdelepiphanie.com/index

Broke 100 for the first time in years, things are looking up. Still need to overhaul my equipment, the shafts are too stiff and lofts too low for how I swing today. 
Titleist Velocity is an excellent ball for those interested, I cannot recommend enough. 

5948767E-67E2-4B2D-B630-39B6FDC99E69.jpeg

9BDB84BD-E991-4D8F-A39C-0DD17FD09722.jpeg

20D8A674-C56E-4FF6-84F5-4F83FF670B78.jpeg

• Like 2

Great read Golfingboy. I have come out of retirement. That is, I retired my clubs back in 1994 and now I have retired from work and moved to Nakhon Ratchasima (Korat). Shipped a set of clubs which have not arrived yet (Tour Edge Bazooka 370 Senior Graphite). As soon as the clubs arrive, I will hit the driving range for about a month before my first round of golf in 28 years. I was a 13 handicap in 1994. I have no expectations to every getting to that level again but it will be good to get back in the sunshine and onto the links. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, Stillearly said:

1EC60CA6-07E5-43FC-B675-28242CF0790B.jpeg

I left for the golf course with the nephew right at halftime in the footie, we got in 16 holes after hitting a small bucket. Missed a good afternoon of golf too, Lucas Glover came from behind to win the John Deere by 2. 
Saw that Weir 🇨🇦 snagged a share of 2nd place behind Furyk, the Champions Tour has really been a blessing for him. Between injuries and his lack of power, apparently he had a hard time breaking 80 in the early 2010’s, I’m happy he’s doing well now on the 50+ circuit. 

Ames was leading after Round 1, happy he faded away......besides Patrick Reed, maybe the golfer I hate the most, the stuff that comes out of his mouth is just diarrhea. Can’t believe he carries my flag, Trinidad&Tobago can keep the c—t

• Like 1

Spieth was within one shot, now bogeys to fall to -9. The Scotsman Macintyre shoots 65 to go from the cut line to T18. 

Hughes 🇨🇦 is at -6, Conners -5. If you had told me even 5 years ago we would have an Open where more Canadians would be in the Top 10(2) than Scots in the whole field(1).......I would have said “ take your medication, son”

• Like 1

Spieth within inches of the outright lead, now tied with Louis. It’s early, but I could see it being a 2 horse race. The players must take advantage of 7&14, the only par 5’s. 

Conners T4 at -7 now, Louis in prime shape to give himself an eagle opportunity on 7th fairway 

• Like 1

Marcel Siem with one of the dumbest decisions off the tee box, I’ve ever seen, major or not……takes 3-iron instead of driver on 14, and still flies it out of bounds.

Dont know his net worth or if he even cares about the cash, but depending how he finishes tomorrow, could have cost himself £100k or more

Edited by Golfingboy