Golf

Archie43

Congratulations Phil. Tied with Faldo and Trevino on all time list, never a bad thing. 

I AM against guys like Vijay and Love at 55+ taking away spots from younger golfers in PGA tournaments, but Phil just showed why he’s barely teed it up on the Champions Tour, where he won in his first 2 chances. As good as they are, this week shows that Phil would simply destroy the competition there. The way he’s playing he’d easily win 7 or 8 of every 10 events. Definitely deserves to play with the youngsters as long as he pleases

Edited by Golfingboy
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, Stillearly said:

Brilliant 555

What a great moment in sports history, Phil achieving something that had never happened before in the sport of golf. I was rooting for him. Though he will never match the level of Tiger Woods when it comes to majors, can anyone deny the love he has from the fans, the connection he's built up and maintained for three decades, through his victories and defeats?

Bravo Phil!!

As with the young guns, since the rivalry of Tiger and Phil has pretty much graduated to one of mutual respect and admiration for one another, what golf needs is another rivalry with the younger generation, and these two lads seem to fit the bill beautifully. Lets hope that in future matches, these guys can be paired up and with any luck, each are in position to win on Sunday.

Nothing stokes the passions of a sports fan, and that sports participants, like a good old fashioned rivalry. These two guys appear to be like a couple of lions each trying to establish their territory among the pride.

Has the makings of great golf, and back stories, for years to come.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mr. Smooth said:

What a great moment in sports history, Phil achieving something that had never happened before in the sport of golf. I was rooting for him. Though he will never match the level of Tiger Woods when it comes to majors, can anyone deny the love he has from the fans, the connection he's built up and maintained for three decades, through his victories and defeats?

Bravo Phil!!

As with the young guns, since the rivalry of Tiger and Phil has pretty much graduated to one of mutual respect and admiration for one another, what golf needs is another rivalry with the younger generation, and these two lads seem to fit the bill beautifully. Lets hope that in future matches, these guys can be paired up and with any luck, each are in position to win on Sunday.

Nothing stokes the passions of a sports fan, and that sports participants, like a good old fashioned rivalry. These two guys appear to be like a couple of lions each trying to establish their territory among the pride.

I no think it’s simply a matter of dollars, these guys are paid so much compared to Jack & Annie’s day. Guys like Adam Scott with one major, Rickie Fowler with none, I could go on and on......these guys have tens, if not hundreds of millions of $ in the bank with decent careers, but who non-golfers have probably never even heard of. 

Once your very comfortable retirement/trust has already been funded by your mid-20’s in some cases, where does the motivation come from? I heard Anthony Kim took a sure $20m injury payout on the condition he never competes again, but he would have made ten times that or more, in endorsement deals had he kept performing the way he did in 2010. Some guys are child prodigies who fail to live up to the hype, AK was the real deal who basically chose to retire at 25. Loved this guy’s game and demeanour 

Edited by Golfingboy

6 minutes ago, Stillearly said:

Although VJ , Duval and Els made it whilst Tiger was in his prime 

Yes which makes Phil very unlucky, but it’s only an arbitrary number. Almost 30 years without leaving the top 50 in the world......amazing stat and we will never see that again, maybe Rory if he has the motivation to keep working into his late 40’s, but I doubt it. Phil is truly a model of consistency 

Edit -OK 1,353 straight weeks in Top 50, so 26 years.....still mighty impressive 

Edited by Golfingboy

3 hours ago, Mr. Smooth said:

Bravo Phil!!

Great post.

Mickelson's win has been hugely undersold- massive story.

There's hope for us old Gits after all 😁

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Golfingboy said:

Yes which makes Phil very unlucky, but it’s only an arbitrary number. Almost 30 years without leaving the top 50 in the world......amazing stat and we will never see that again, maybe Rory if he has the motivation to keep working into his late 40’s, but I doubt it. Phil is truly a model of consistency 

Edit -OK 1,353 straight weeks in Top 50, so 26 years.....still mighty impressive 

Tiger had a knee operation, took six months off to recover and still started his next tournament as World No 1  ... 555 

3 hours ago, Stillearly said:

Tiger had a knee operation, took six months off to recover and still started his next tournament as World No 1  ... 555 

Yes there was more separation in ranking points between Tiger and No. 2, than #2 and # 1,000.....to which Tiger responded “I thought Poulter was #2” 

Funny thing is, Poulter did actually reach #5, and Patrick Reed after his stupid comment has never been higher than 6th......karma is a bitch. But I’d still be happy with a fraction of their bank accounts or car collections

Edited by Golfingboy

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Stillearly said:

Just saw this on my IPhone. I don’t have the leaderboard in my Favourites, so usually just type “le” in Safari and the leaderboard comes up, and if it’s a new week the same web address updates the new tournament . So I saw he had that amazing back 9 like 3 hours ago, and now I see Morikawa at -12....update 3 times and figure my phone is stuck at Friday’s round or WTF is going on? 

Then I Google Rahm.......and we know the rest. Truly heartbreaking, he doesn’t need the money, but a 6 stroke lead is pretty much another win guaranteed. 

F—k this pandemic 

Edited by Golfingboy

9 minutes ago, Golfingboy said:

Just saw this on my IPhone. I don’t have the leaderboard in my Favourites, so usually just type “le” in Safari and the leaderboard comes up, and if it’s a new week the same web address updates the new tournament . So I saw he had that amazing back 9 like 3 hours ago, and now I see Morikawa at -12....update 3 times and figure my phone is stuck at Friday’s round or WTF is going on? 

Then I Google Rahm.......and we know the rest. Truly heartbreaking, he doesn’t need the money, but a 6 stroke lead is pretty much another win guaranteed. 

F—k this pandemic 

To tell him on the green of the 18th though , poor guy looked devastated