Golf

Archie43

Should be a great finish tomorrow. Too bad Spieth missed a tap-in at 18, I guess he’s still prone to do that. Hoping Louis takes it, after all his runners-up in majors. But Morikawa is so steady as well, wouldn’t surprise me if he wins, and by multiple shots at that. 

Siem was never a favourite, but to be down by 6 after making triple on a hole where everyone was making birdie, he should have been in the final 2 groups.....shame

9168060F-A7BB-4DC6-AB91-FC4648347040.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 1

My money is on Morikawa. Undoubtedly the best iron player on tour, just outstanding.

Like Louis, Morikawa had his "bad" day today. Louis looked really scrappy on the back 9, though did recover well at the end. I'm not so sure he can handle real pressure (hence his numerous runners up positions) whereas Morikawa doesn't seem phased by anything.

But anyway, despite the fantastic weather in the UK this weekend, I'll be sitting in front of my tv all afternoon watching it. Really looking forward to what will hopefully be a really exciting finish.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Britboy said:

My money is on Morikawa. Undoubtedly the best iron player on tour, just outstanding.

Like Louis, Morikawa had his "bad" day today. Louis looked really scrappy on the back 9, though did recover well at the end. I'm not so sure he can handle real pressure (hence his numerous runners up positions) whereas Morikawa doesn't seem phased by anything.

But anyway, despite the fantastic weather in the UK this weekend, I'll be sitting in front of my tv all afternoon watching it. Really looking forward to what will hopefully be a really exciting finish.

You're not a De Chambeau fan are you .............. who is ??? Just been up in Chinatown same gaffe we went a few months back but massively busier West End is Back .......

Been great 3 days ...honestly never heard of the Japanse American but they have the nerves just now for golf ........ personally I like Spieth

• Thumbs Up 1

32 minutes ago, Britboy said:

Does not sound very nice to imply that Louis is a “loser”, but the proof is in the pudding- the single win with 6 runner-up finishes. With that amazing swing......simply tragic. His countryman Schwartzel has maybe the 2nd sweetest action I’ve seen in my time, and he’s playing the Barbasol in Kentucky this weekend......oh my. 

Anyway, another atypical English day for the final round.....I think this tournament would have a much different outcome had we had a few gales blow in

997E6A71-4B68-4931-B446-FF774C7D4999.jpeg

2 hours ago, nampla69 said:

You're not a De Chambeau fan are you .............. who is ??? Just been up in Chinatown same gaffe we went a few months back but massively busier West End is Back .......

Been great 3 days ...honestly never heard of the Japanse American but they have the nerves just now for golf ........ personally I like Spieth

Can't stand De Chambeau - he made an ass of himself this week, even his golf manufacturer bit back at him publicly. Just hate the way he plays golf and his egotistical attitude. Just waiting for the time he and Brooks Keopka are paired together, instant fireworks.

Morikawa has already won a major, he has the perfect temperament and is playing great. Only early 20's too - there's lots more majors in him.

1 hour ago, Golfingboy said:

Does not sound very nice to imply that Louis is a “loser”, but the proof is in the pudding- the single win with 6 runner-up finishes. With that amazing swing......simply tragic. His countryman Schwartzel has maybe the 2nd sweetest action I’ve seen in my time, and he’s playing the Barbasol in Kentucky this weekend......oh my. 

Anyway, another atypical English day for the final round.....I think this tournament would have a much different outcome had we had a few gales blow in

Not implying Louis is a loser by any stretch. What he does seem to lack is the serious bottle needed to get over the line. His one major (British Open) he won by 7 shots - all other times when it's been competitive he's come 2nd. He's the nicest guy you could ever meet and I'd never criticise him in that way.

I agree, if it had been typical Open weather the leaderboard would be somewhat different. This is Morikawa's first British Open, he must wonder what all the fuss is about . . 😁

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Britboy said:

Not implying Louis is a loser by any stretch. What he does seem to lack is the serious bottle needed to get over the line. His one major (British Open) he won by 7 shots - all other times when it's been competitive he's come 2nd. He's the nicest guy you could ever meet and I'd never criticise him in that way.

I agree, if it had been typical Open weather the leaderboard would be somewhat different. This is Morikawa's first British Open, he must wonder what all the fuss is about . . 😁

I was agreeing with you, his ratio of wins to close calls is rivalled by only Norman, off the top of my head

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, nampla69 said:

This Thai fella is only 22 ...shot of the tournament it's described as. Dunno about that:

Worth a look ..

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9799119/Thai-golfer-Jazz-Janewattananond-plays-shot-British-Open-stunning-bunker-save-knees.html

Yeah, young Thai player. It's a helluva shot of course, but not sure it's shot of the tournament. There's been so many fantastic shots and there'll be more today.

I've backed Oosthuizen ew at 33s, along with numerous others who haven't troubled the scorers.

Can't say I'm confident reading this thread. Too small a bet to bother with laying any of it off, am resigned to him finishing second reading the above, at least there's the small place payout!

• Sad 1

Brooks with a hell of a round so far, just missed a birdie on 14th but is at -8......I think it’s too little, too late but you never know. My 2 Canucks 🇨🇦 each bogeyed the first 2 holes and have shot themselves out of it I’m afraid. Louis just went flag hunting on 2, mistake

Should be an entertaining one the next 3 hours or so

... sorry of topic from The Open.  I'm arriving Pattaya in two weeks.  What are the top (3) courses by price point in the area (average, nice, great)?  Looking to play once a week 

Thanks! 

The nephew was bugging me to take him out Sunday, made up our minds a little late, but still got in 18 holes. Course is half a mile from the house I was  brought up in from 1976-84……memories. Anyway, we had a great time, and great news……my driver woes seem to be cured. 

Shaft is still too stiff and not enough loft, but I simply made the change of moving it way up to catch it on the upswing. And my fat, unflexible arse won’t change any time soon, so what I CAN control is making sure my tempo is good, not forcing it, and making sure I at least fully cock my wrists. I topped one driver, the others were dead straight between 220-240. 
For a guy who’s lost much distance AND had a driver phobia since the big 460cc heads debuted in 2007……such a relief. When 11/12 get some height and finish down the middle, without even hitting a single bucket of balls, it’s not a coincidence.

So any older golfers who slice or go right, don’t be scared to move the ball up in your stance

The other thing I discovered, while the Titleist Velocity rolls out well off the driver, it gives no backspin whatsoever on approach shots. Every green today had 2 bunkers, and not carrying my irons far, I had many “birdie” pitches in the 20-40 yard range. From the rough, I hit some shots with 60 degree that I felt were stone dead, only to roll past another 30 feet to the fringe. I’m afraid if one wants to play at a high level, there is no option but to play a PROV1, or similar, at $5 per ball. 

D5D1B383-CD90-4611-9FFB-C25210039E7E.jpeg

• Like 1

On 7/27/2021 at 9:52 AM, Golfingboy said:

Another nice track from last week, about £12 to play and I called it a day after 15 holes, was tired, it was dark and the parking lot was close

A8F1574A-DF12-48EC-8BAA-A18604EEFCBA.jpeg

Beautiful, i was never any good at golf but used to love the peace and tranquility walking around the course.

• Thanks 1

Just picked this up, should shave a few strokes off my scores. In the past I would have called it a “120” club, but with my loss of distance, wouldn’t be surprised if it goes 90 yards or so. Couldn’t justify paying almost $300 for a single Titleist Vokey wedge(15% taxes where I’m staying), and didn’t feel like driving out to some Frenchman’s home 40 miles away just to save a few $ on Marketplace. This TaylorMade cost me $137 CAD all in, beautiful virgin unmolested grooves……I’m anxious to play with it….need those wedges to bite

4D486902-BF0F-4B69-A449-A21A4BB5B25C.jpeg

A78DD0CB-57ED-453F-9B85-4666E390B7AE.jpeg

Edited by Golfingboy
  • Like 2

Played a wonderful track yesterday, unfortunately even teeing off at 7:30 the heat and the long walk caught up to me. 3 pars and my first birdie in many years, but things fell apart from the 12th hole on, dehydration is very dangerous. Still, was very happy with the improvements I’m seeing

Oh, and when playing in hot summer months, remove your glove as much as possible, or alternate between two of them

7381460B-E8EA-4A52-8276-0BC51FC81B5E.jpeg

• Like 3