Cricket

coxyhog

Words of wisdom from Sir Geoffrey of Boycott:

Jonny Bairstow was superb last summer. His batting was mind blowing in its orthodoxy and electrifying brutality.

Ben Stokes, the captain, and the coach, Brendon McCullum, gave him their support and backing to express himself and he repaid them with some stunning innings, scoring four centuries. In that form I bet he couldn’t wait to continue on England’s winter tours to Pakistan and New Zealand. Jonny was in cricketing heaven.

But sport is like life. It can give you magical moments of elation and then can take you to the depths of despair. That was Jonny when he had his freak fall, on a golf course of all places, and suffered horrific leg injuries that must have had him fearing for his career. 

He missed the entire winter, and the IPL. Personally I would have left Jonny to play more cricket at Yorkshire than recall him because he has not scored heavily and made big runs to get his confidence sky high or spent a lot of time keeping wicket.

Yorkshire have played five championship matches, Jonny only two. They have been his main preparation for Test cricket and they were low-scoring games.

Johnny Bairstow
Bairstow has looked scratchy for Yorkshire but that is to be expected after such a long lay off CREDIT: PA/Danny Lawson

Most cricketers thrive on confidence. Confidence is a fragile emotion. If Jonny fails in the first two Ashes Tests against high-quality bowling, that confidence could be shattered and England lose him for the whole summer. 

I understand if he bats well that lengthens the England batting. It is a gamble based on last summer and how at his best he can be a destructive batsman. But we should not be surprised because McCullum and Stokes are gamblers. 

That is the way they both bat and lead so we should not be surprised. It’s the ethos of this team they have built that in such a short space of time has given us some thrilling and enjoyable cricket and if it fails it will be a spectacular but entertaining failure.

Anyway now he is back but his friends and England supporters are waiting to see if he has regained his mobility and stamina to keep wicket all day. And, most of all, can he find his batting form for the Ashes series?

Then there is a question mark over our new wonder boy Harry Brook. He has had a meteoric rise from county player for Yorkshire to star England batsman. Four centuries in five Tests last winter were incredible but even more amazing was how he took bowling attacks apart in Pakistan and New Zealand with an array of strokes that were breathtaking. This helped earn him an eye-watering IPL contract of £1.2 million for the Sunrisers Hyderabad. All this in a few whirlwind months.

tmg.video.placeholder.alt vQwluF11EEY

He scored a magnificent hundred for the Sunrisers but that was it. He then scored 60 runs in eight innings and was dropped, which must have been galling. It has been a long time since Harry had experienced failure and the embarrassment of being left out of a side, forced to sit and watch others. After all the hype and the huge money paid out for him, how has this downturn in his batting affected him mentally? 

He is still a young man with not a lot of big cricket experience behind him so will he be able to shrug it off and recapture that magic or will his loss of form make him hesitant and unsure? Perhaps returning to the England set-up where he has had so much success early on in his career will lift him. 

‘Crawley has to stop making elementary mistakes’

Everyone is going to be watching how Zak Crawley approaches opening the batting. I read recently that he said he had a good defence. I don’t agree. “My defence might look bad –  but really it’s good,“ he said. 

He averages 27.6 from 33 Test matches. That is not very good. “It’s not something I need to work on.” Does he really believe what he is saying or is he deluding himself? Maybe it was tongue in cheek and he is taking the mickey out of us.

I think he has some talent with an excellent range of strokes and superb timing but he needs to harness it. You can have a fantastic wide array of strokes but if you can’t stay in then how the hell do you use them when you’re sitting in the dressing room having been dismissed? 

To be able to use those shots, he has to stop the good balls and not keep making elementary mistakes and losing his wicket.

Opening the batting is tough as usually you are facing the best bowlers when they are fresh with a new ball that moves around a bit and many times the pitch on the first morning is a bit lively. I wouldn’t call that easy. It gets easier the longer you are at the crease and the ball gets older.

By all means look to attack in England’s positive style but the key to batting is knowing what to play and what to leave and judging which ball to play the right shot to. It is simple really but hard to execute consistently at the highest level.

Ireland’s bowlers are not as good as the Australian bowlers so this is a perfect Test match for these three England batsmen to get some runs and restore their confidence.

Later on they will face the Australian attack, which is probably the best in world cricket, and it will be a huge test for England’s positive approach. It will not be easy, especially if they do not pick up form quickly. The Test match against Ireland is their only chance before the Ashes starts so it is an important week to settle nerves and build a bit of confidence.

Edited by coxyhog
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, coxyhog said:

Words of wisdom from Sir Geoffrey of Boycott:

Jonny Bairstow was superb last summer. His batting was mind blowing in its orthodoxy and electrifying brutality.

Ben Stokes, the captain, and the coach, Brendon McCullum, gave him their support and backing to express himself and he repaid them with some stunning innings, scoring four centuries. In that form I bet he couldn’t wait to continue on England’s winter tours to Pakistan and New Zealand. Jonny was in cricketing heaven.

But sport is like life. It can give you magical moments of elation and then can take you to the depths of despair. That was Jonny when he had his freak fall, on a golf course of all places, and suffered horrific leg injuries that must have had him fearing for his career. 

He missed the entire winter, and the IPL. Personally I would have left Jonny to play more cricket at Yorkshire than recall him because he has not scored heavily and made big runs to get his confidence sky high or spent a lot of time keeping wicket.

Yorkshire have played five championship matches, Jonny only two. They have been his main preparation for Test cricket and they were low-scoring games.

Johnny Bairstow
Bairstow has looked scratchy for Yorkshire but that is to be expected after such a long lay off CREDIT: PA/Danny Lawson

Most cricketers thrive on confidence. Confidence is a fragile emotion. If Jonny fails in the first two Ashes Tests against high-quality bowling, that confidence could be shattered and England lose him for the whole summer. 

I understand if he bats well that lengthens the England batting. It is a gamble based on last summer and how at his best he can be a destructive batsman. But we should not be surprised because McCullum and Stokes are gamblers. 

That is the way they both bat and lead so we should not be surprised. It’s the ethos of this team they have built that in such a short space of time has given us some thrilling and enjoyable cricket and if it fails it will be a spectacular but entertaining failure.

Anyway now he is back but his friends and England supporters are waiting to see if he has regained his mobility and stamina to keep wicket all day. And, most of all, can he find his batting form for the Ashes series?

Then there is a question mark over our new wonder boy Harry Brook. He has had a meteoric rise from county player for Yorkshire to star England batsman. Four centuries in five Tests last winter were incredible but even more amazing was how he took bowling attacks apart in Pakistan and New Zealand with an array of strokes that were breathtaking. This helped earn him an eye-watering IPL contract of £1.2 million for the Sunrisers Hyderabad. All this in a few whirlwind months.

tmg.video.placeholder.alt vQwluF11EEY

He scored a magnificent hundred for the Sunrisers but that was it. He then scored 60 runs in eight innings and was dropped, which must have been galling. It has been a long time since Harry had experienced failure and the embarrassment of being left out of a side, forced to sit and watch others. After all the hype and the huge money paid out for him, how has this downturn in his batting affected him mentally? 

He is still a young man with not a lot of big cricket experience behind him so will he be able to shrug it off and recapture that magic or will his loss of form make him hesitant and unsure? Perhaps returning to the England set-up where he has had so much success early on in his career will lift him. 

‘Crawley has to stop making elementary mistakes’

Everyone is going to be watching how Zak Crawley approaches opening the batting. I read recently that he said he had a good defence. I don’t agree. “My defence might look bad –  but really it’s good,“ he said. 

He averages 27.6 from 33 Test matches. That is not very good. “It’s not something I need to work on.” Does he really believe what he is saying or is he deluding himself? Maybe it was tongue in cheek and he is taking the mickey out of us.

I think he has some talent with an excellent range of strokes and superb timing but he needs to harness it. You can have a fantastic wide array of strokes but if you can’t stay in then how the hell do you use them when you’re sitting in the dressing room having been dismissed? 

To be able to use those shots, he has to stop the good balls and not keep making elementary mistakes and losing his wicket.

Opening the batting is tough as usually you are facing the best bowlers when they are fresh with a new ball that moves around a bit and many times the pitch on the first morning is a bit lively. I wouldn’t call that easy. It gets easier the longer you are at the crease and the ball gets older.

By all means look to attack in England’s positive style but the key to batting is knowing what to play and what to leave and judging which ball to play the right shot to. It is simple really but hard to execute consistently at the highest level.

Ireland’s bowlers are not as good as the Australian bowlers so this is a perfect Test match for these three England batsmen to get some runs and restore their confidence.

Later on they will face the Australian attack, which is probably the best in world cricket, and it will be a huge test for England’s positive approach. It will not be easy, especially if they do not pick up form quickly. The Test match against Ireland is their only chance before the Ashes starts so it is an important week to settle nerves and build a bit of confidence.

G Boycott esq speaks a lot of sense....

• Thumbs Up 1

19-3

Broad is on fire!

My guess is england want to be batting by tea, score 400 by lunch tomorrow, and win by an innings and lots by end of tomorrow.  

After all, who needs match time before the ashes?

Bugger me.... Stirling saved by a review.... almost 4 down

2 hours ago, coxyhog said:

Ben Duckett just broke the record for the fastest test 150 at Lords,previously held by some Aussie bloke by the name of Sir Donald Bradman.

We have some serious talent in the squad at the moment.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, galenkia said:

I watched that. Good win for you.

Aye, it went a lot closer than expected, but Surrey were poor batting. It went on a bit as it was a 6.30 start so me and my mate ended up missing our favourite curry 😂😂

Somerset next Friday !

• Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, coxyhog said:

He did bat yesterday but he still scored 100 runs before lunch today.

Just read that, but that's not what I understood a century before lunch to be... Oh well! Glad he got some runs, anyway