Slight dilemma...well, not really

Butch

In essence , there's a woman who lives nearby , and her house backs onto a courtyard where my access is located. She's got a boyfriend who, for all intents and purposes is a prick, he visits her once a week, then drives off in his BMW. I have spoken to the boyfriend before, he came across as a bit of a self righteous cock, even bigger than me, which is saying something.

Here's my dilemma:

Her son, who is a good kid, polite, helpful and all in all no trouble to anyone, has a bike, for the last 3 weeks it's been sat next to her fence with a puncture. She doesn't know how to fix it, and the boyfriend won't do anything about it because he resents the kid for whatever reason. As a result he's been walking to school every day because he doesn't know how to fix the puncture, or rather does but is afraid of damaging his bike, plus the boyfriend won't lend him any tools and he can't afford to buy his own anyway.

Basically, I want to fix the puncture, as the lad likes his bike, and I've offered to lend him my tools to do it, plus watch him to make sure he doesn't mess it up, but he's scared because of the fallout he might get if he gets it wrong, and doesn't want me to do it because he'll get it in the neck from the boyfriend for asking.

I might do it anyway and say the magic gnomes did it, and if the boyfriend confronts me, I'll deal with it accordingly.

However, I am torn between helping a lad out because he's stuck, or getting hassle for interfering.

Damned if I do, damned if I don't I guess.

What would you guys do?.

5 minutes ago, boydeste said:

f**k that, grow some balls and help the kid out.

Do it for him, but let him watch and teach him as you go.

Balls are not the issue, jeez, I could have it, toe to toe with Mr Humphries any day of the week.

I don't want the kid getting it in the neck because the kid isn't the kind to stand up to the boyfriend, whereas I am.

Edited by Butch

5 minutes ago, Butch said:

Balls are not the issue, jeez, I could have it, toe to toe with Mr Humphries any day of the week.

I don't want the kid getting it in the neck because the kid isn't the kind to stand up to the boyfriend, whereas I am.

You are over thinking it.

Just fix the puncture for him!

• Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, boydeste said:

You are over thinking it.

Just fix the puncture for him!

You're right, I am.

Problem is, no good deed goes unpunished.

I'll fix it tomorrow and just leave it where it was. 5 min job and I'll just deny everything if asked.

Cheers mate.

• Like 2

I'd try and get the kid to mend it, under your supervision. Then next time he might have the "courage" to do it himself. Could you do it the day after the boyfriend has visited, so there's time for all to forget it before he visits again?

If not, bikenap the bike after dark one day, mend it, return it before its noticed...

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, Painter said:

I'd try and get the kid to mend it, under your supervision. Then next time he might have the "courage" to do it himself. Could you do it the day after the boyfriend has visited, so there's time for all to forget it before he visits again?

If not, bikenap the bike after dark one day, mend it, return it before its noticed...

The reality is that the guy is only interested in shagging the girl, he won't care who repairs the bike, but the lad will care and get the benefit.

Your idea of repairing it after the BF has gone is a good one if Butch really thinks it's a problem.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

16 minutes ago, Painter said:

I've offered him this option already, told him I'll get the tools and watch him so he doesn't bollocks it up, but the lad's got no self confidence and doesn't want confrontation with the boyfriend. The bf is one of those people who will prey on the weak lad, I'll just say what I have noticed, which is when he turns up the lad has to go out for a few hours.

I had a long chat with the lad a few weeks ago, I'd brought the Hako out of storage and was working on it, and he stood at the bottom of the drive, looking and taking pics on his phone, so the Mrs invited him into the garage so he could have a look and take more pics, have a seat etc. The chat was in a bit of confidence so I won't say anything, but I suppose you chaps can read between the lines.

Maybe his Mum is as much to blame but it is none of my business, I just want to fix a puncture on bike.

I'll get it fixed tomorrow, do it on the QT and if the boyfriend or Mum challenges me, I'll just tell them to f**k off.

Thanbks for all the input guys, looks like we are all on the same page with this. Cheers @boydestefor your suggestion! Virtual SM lights all around, plus real ones if ever. 🙂

Edited by Butch
  • Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 3

23 minutes ago, Butch said:

[...]

I'll just say what I have noticed, which is when he turns up the lad has to go out for a few hours.

I had a long chat with the lad a few weeks ago, I'd brought the Hako out of storage and was working on it, and he stood at the bottom of the drive, looking and taking pics on his phone, so the Mrs invited him into the garage so he could have a look and take more pics, have a seat etc. The chat was in a bit of confidence so I won't say anything, but I suppose you chaps can read between the lines.

So fix that bike the next time the lad needs another place to stay for a couple of hours.

• Thumbs Up 1

Talk with the mother that you will help the son fix it..... then just go ahead and fix it.

The boyfriend probably doesn't know he has a bike ..let alone one with a puncture and it has nothing to do with him anyway. 

cheers 

Edited by roobob
  • Thumbs Up 1

Well I fixed it anyway, did it under the cover of darkness, and turned round it the other way so he'll know someone has touched it. It's gone now, so there's a happy lad somewhere.

@roobobDon't really want to talk with the mother mate, she's probably as uninterested as the boyfriend is, if she had any concern she'd had asked the boyfriend to fix it, but they're both too occupied with each other it appears.

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Sad 1

In the past I would have helped the kid out, surely the right thing to do.

However.... Each year the truth to the statement, "No good deed goes unpunished." becomes more evident to me. I hate to say this or even admit it because it goes against all of my nature. I could explain in more detail but it would take too long for me to here. The bottom line....anytime you get involved with other folks there can be a trade off, sometimes with negative consequences, it's almost inevitable. 

I am not saying never help someone in need, but I am much more measured now than I would have been say twenty years ago, simply based on personal observation and experience (believe me I've had a lot of it).

------------------------------------------------

The kid is in an unfortunate spot. From the looks of it he is in a bad situation, and probably will be for a long time, perhaps the rest of his life. The gesture of you helping him with the tire is admirable, but won't result in jack in helping him with his confidence. IMO, based on what you have said here, he is kind of toast in that regard. And there ain't squat you can do about it. Unfortunate, but probably likely.

I lean more toward puncturing the boyfriends tires. You would probably get more satisfaction from that. The guy will think the dame is fucking someone else, and leave the scene completely. 

The real problem here is actually with the mother. Between her and the kids real father that is where the root of the problem exits, and there isn't f**k all you can do about it. Get involved a little bit, and it can mushroom from there.

Sorry to present it this way. I think it's good to help people when you can, but be selective and weigh it out when you do, because once you extend that hand of kindness, often you can get bit.

• Thumbs Up 1