CCTV Help

forcebwithu

One of my old D-Link IP security cameras has bit the dust and I expect the others are nearing the end of their useful life.

I bought the Tapo C210 camera to try out as a replacement, but can not get either the D-ViewCam app that I use for the D-Link cameras, or the iSpy open source security camera app to recognize the C210.

I know the camera and its settings are fine as I was able to view what the camera is seeing using the VLC player and the RTSP protocol. When I plug the identical URL into iSpy I get nothing.

I'm a rank novice when it comes to CCTV's and setting up these apps. With D-ViewCam it was somewhat plug 'n play since the app and cameras were from the same company.

From what I read I could buy an NVR to handle the video feeds, but I already have enough computers in my small home office, I don't really want another one if I can avoid it. Thus my looking into a software solution that can run on my existing Windows laptops.

Any suggestions, pointers and help would be most welcome. If it does happen the best and easiest solution is the NVR route, recommendations on brand and model would be also welcome. My current security system is five cameras, so the solution doesn't need to accommodate more than say eight channels.

Here's the tp-link instructions if you haven't already seen them.

https://www.tp-link.com/en/support/faq/2680/

Windows firewall issue? Turn off and see if that works. Remember to turn it back on afterwards.

Is camera and PC on the same subnet? Does it need to be?

I only buy cameras that either come with their own application and/or can be viewed with a web browser. And they must come with the ability to save images and recordings to a local FTP server. Unfortunately getting harder and harder to find.

9 minutes ago, fygjam said:

Here's the tp-link instructions if you haven't already seen them.

https://www.tp-link.com/en/support/faq/2680/

Windows firewall issue? Turn off and see if that works. Remember to turn it back on afterwards.

Is camera and PC on the same subnet? Does it need to be?

I only buy cameras that either come with their own application and/or can be viewed with a web browser. And they must come with the ability to save images and recordings to a local FTP server. Unfortunately getting harder and harder to find.

Thanks for the link. One I had found before.

Thought it might be a firewall issue, but since I could view the live stream from VLC ruled that out.

And, drum roll, ta da, figured out just now what was wrong...

As I was writing this post it occurred to me it could be an extension in Chrome that was the source of the problem. So tried Edge as a quick test and was surprised to see my ugly mug staring back at me.

Had a look in Chrome's extension manager and there was one in particular I had forgotten I installed a long time ago that stood out, "Disable HTML5 Autoplay".  Turned that extension off, refreshed the iSpy tab, and voilà Chrome now displays the live stream.

Quite the satisfying feeling when a particularly difficult computer issue is resolved.

Just bought 4 of the Tapo P100 plugs, controlled by phone or programmable and 2 of the P110 plugs, as P100 but include energy monitoring. With UK energy prices it's good to know where your money is going.

I see one negative with iSpy. Even though I have only five camera feeds, if I up the framerate to more than 10 FPS I get a max. CPU usage every few seconds. Chrome has too much overhead to support the iSpy app so will have to look for a dedicated app that runs on Windows.

7 minutes ago, forcebwithu said:

I see one negative with iSpy. Even though I have only five camera feeds, if I up the framerate to more than 10 FPS I get a max. CPU usage every few seconds. Chrome has too much overhead to support the iSpy app so will have to look for a dedicated app that runs on Windows.

Blue Iris is meant to be the bee's knees but you need some serious CPU horsepower to run it so I've been told.

I use a dedicated Intel NUC (mini PC) to capture recordings and snapshots and an Android app, tinyCam, running on an old Android TV box for the live display.

• Great Info 1

On 1/17/2023 at 7:58 AM, fygjam said:

Blue Iris is meant to be the bee's knees but you need some serious CPU horsepower to run it so I've been told.

I use a dedicated Intel NUC (mini PC) to capture recordings and snapshots and an Android app, tinyCam, running on an old Android TV box for the live display.

I'm giving Blue Iris v5 a try. A couple of my D-Link 5020L cameras had no problem with setting up the connection on BI, but the 5000L and 6045L no joy.

I'm also having problems getting the connection to work for the new TP-Link C210 in BI. That one surprises me as it's ONVIF compliant and figured that would be the easiest one to set up and connect to.

No problems with getting any of the above to work in iSpy, but BI is giving me fits.

Online help hasn't been much help. Wondering now if some camera models are not supported by BI.

Have you run across camera models that are not compatible with the security apps you've used?

1 hour ago, forcebwithu said:

I'm giving Blue Iris v5 a try. A couple of my D-Link 5020L cameras had no problem with setting up the connection on BI, but the 5000L and 6045L no joy.

I'm also having problems getting the connection to work for the new TP-Link C210 in BI. That one surprises me as it's ONVIF compliant and figured that would be the easiest one to set up and connect to.

No problems with getting any of the above to work in iSpy, but BI is giving me fits.

Online help hasn't been much help. Wondering now if some camera models are not supported by BI.

Have you run across camera models that are not compatible with the security apps you've used?

My setup is probably a bit different to most. I don't like/trust streaming my data across the internet so I only go with cameras where I can confine things to my home network. As such, I have my own FTP server where the cameras can upload recordings and snapshots of events. I also have a static IP address from my ISP and a gatekeeper machine so I can log onto my home network from anywhere and checkout any alerts.

My current crop of cameras, noname brand from China, can be configured and viewed from either a web browser or their own proprietary software, both Windows and Android.

When I was a noob my first lot of cameras were Foscam knockoffs and at the time the tinyCam android app or Blue Iris Windows app were meant to be the best. i.e. supported the largest range of cameras. Blue Iris was also the most flexible, allowing one to define multiple "sensitive" areas within a view for triggering events. My current lot are meant to detect "humanoids" but they're hit and miss so I go with whole of view and put up with false alerts from waving tree branches on windy days.

Strange the problems you are having with the D-link devices. Normally stuff from the same manufacturer is bug for bug compatible.

As the old chief said

• Great Info 1