Don't shoot the messenger Visa requirements to be enforced effective the 15th?

A poster in one of my line groups posted that effective the 15th of this month you're actually going to have to have your money in the bank this he said he got directly from Maneerat. The person that posted this is a manager of a very well-known venue here in town. I would be surprised if they enforce this but since he said it came directly from Maneerat there might be something to it. It'll sure change things for a lot of people if indeed it happens

Edited by Yesitisdakid
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Sad 1
  • Surprised 1

• Yesitisdakid changed the title to Don't shoot the messenger Visa requirements to be enforced effective the 15th?
13 minutes ago, Yesitisdakid said:

A poster in one of my line groups posted that effective the 15th of this month you're actually going to have to have your money in the bank this he said he got directly from Maneerat. The person that posted this is a manager of a very well-known venue here in town. I would be surprised if they enforce this but since he said it came directly from Maneerat there might be something to it. It'll sure change things for a lot of people if indeed it happens

Thanks for the heads up mate. Even if your warning only reaches one person due a renewal around that date it is worthwhile but hopefully it helps a lot more!!!

I have 11 months left so I should be OK.

I think it is due to the new boss flexing his muscles to ensure the money keeps rolling in .. If not I may put on my white collar and move to Hua Hin ..

• Like 1

If this is a permenant change that will cost Maneerat and other agents a fair amount of business. Their fee if you have the money in the bank is 8000B for the extension, more than I'm willing to pay for the small amount of time savings using an agent would save me. That also means there will be a serious dent in the under the table payments going to all involved when using an agent.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, KWA said:

I saw the same post but he rewound (a bit) in a subsequent post saying "it's only for one month".

I've asked him for clarification.

I didn't see that that's good to know maybe they're going to clamp down for a month and then just ignore it like they do with all the other regulations here thanks for the update

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Yesitisdakid said:

I didn't see that that's good to know maybe they're going to clamp down for a month and then just ignore it like they do with all the other regulations here thanks for the update

Interesting. Thanks for the posts. I keep the 800,000+ in the bank and pay Maneerat the 8,000 to do the paper work for me, so I guess that I am a lazy Farang with more money than he deserves. Still it is good to keep up with where things are going.

I recently had Maneerat do my "Extension of Stay" renewal and they did comment that there were some expected changes coming after the 15th. After they looked my paperwork over they said "does not apply to you".

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, ChiFlyer said:

Interesting. Thanks for the posts. I keep the 800,000+ in the bank and pay Maneerat the 8,000 to do the paper work for me, so I guess that I am a lazy Farang with more money than he deserves. Still it is good to keep up with where things are going.

I recently had Maneerat do my "Extension of Stay" renewal and they did comment that there were some expected changes coming after the 15th. After they looked my paperwork over they said "does not apply to you".

I do exactly the same as you leave the money in the bank pay them 8K to deal with it. I have more time than money but I'm also very lazy anytime I can avoid immigration I do it.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

That's pretty short notice for those that were expecting to use the agent to handle the 800k requirement. I wonder what will happen to those that go for their extension after the 15th since they will not be able to show the 800k in the bank two months prior to their extension and three months after their last extension, plase a minimum balance of 400k for the other seven months.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ChiFlyer said:

7 minutes ago, Yesitisdakid said:

I do exactly the same as you leave the money in the bank pay them 8K to deal with it. I have more time than money but I'm also very lazy anytime I can avoid immigration I do it.

Just imagine guys,if you married a nice Thai lady that be half ....tho she might cost you more in the long run 🙂

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Phantom51red said:

Just imagine guys,if you married a nice Thai lady that be half ....tho she might cost you more in the long run 🙂

I have two very good friend that went to marriage visa route they said it was a major pain in the ass the following year they just went ahead and got the retirement Visa. Retirement Visa in and out in one day while with the marriage visa they ask for a lot of different things depending on where you get it.

• Like 1
  • Great Info 2

6 minutes ago, Yesitisdakid said:

I have two very good friend that went to marriage visa route they said it was a major pain in the ass the following year they just went ahead and got the retirement Visa. Retirement Visa in and out in one day while with the marriage visa they ask for a lot of different things depending on where you get it.

Same experience of my friends as well. I am married to a nice Thai lady and would not begin to consider a Marriage Visa option.

• Like 2
  • Great Info 1

UPDATE 16TH NOVEMBER 2023

I visited Manerat this morning, mainly to get a re-entry permit (1500b, 1 pic)

I also asked about renewing my retirement extension in January, at the same time as doing a 90 day report.

I was told NO CHANGE at the moment. In Nancy's words, "cannot tell the future, but now, no change". Costs for renewal including "borrowing" the 800k remains at 12,500b.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

39 minutes ago, Painter said:

UPDATE 16TH NOVEMBER 2023

I visited Manerat this morning, mainly to get a re-entry permit (1500b, 1 pic)

I also asked about renewing my retirement extension in January, at the same time as doing a 90 day report.

I was told NO CHANGE at the moment. In Nancy's words, "cannot tell the future, but now, no change". Costs for renewal including "borrowing" the 800k remains at 12,500b.

You didn't happen to ask about TM30?

17 hours ago, Bazle said:

You didn't happen to ask about TM30?

I made a special trip  Whilst waiting for Royal Garden to open this morning I popped into Maneerat again.

For them to do a farang property owners TM30 they require 4 things

1. Original Blue Book. They will make a copy.

2. Original Title deeds. Presumably they will also make a copy.

3. Water or electricity bill, doesn't have to be recent.

4. A crisp 500b note.

If in doubt, they said take in everything from when you bought the condo and they can do. They also said they can do for years gone by if needed.

"Do not worry, Manerat is here for you" Nancy, Maneerat office, 17.11.23, 10.59am

Edited by Painter
  • Thanks 1
  • Great Info 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

17 hours ago, Painter said:

I made a special trip  Whilst waiting for Royal Garden to open this morning I popped into Maneerat again.

For them to do a farang property owners TM30 they require 4 things

1. Original Blue Book. They will make a copy.

2. Original Title deeds. Presumably they will also make a copy.

3. Water or electricity bill, doesn't have to be recent.

4. A crisp 500b note.

If in doubt, they said take in everything from when you bought the condo and they can do. They also said they can do for years gone by if needed.

"Do not worry, Manerat is here for you" Nancy, Maneerat office, 17.11.23, 10.59am

I did this a week or so back. The utilities bill was not necessary. The 500 baht note is nonnegotiable. 🙂 

• 2 months later...

Just visited Manerrat's office to extend my retirement extension.

Arrived at office at 0955. They'd done all they needed by 1005, including taking a pic.

Arrived at Bkk bank beach road branch at 1012. Greeted by a manerrat employee in a pink shirt, who got me a ticket (number 7), and took a pic of me with my passport. 

Sat and waited no more than 5 minutes, became very rich then very poor in seconds, signed 32 documents, and was out of the branch by 1025. Into a Bolt (very nice, almost new BYO electric thing) for a trip to immigration.  Phoned manerrat's employee, who took me inside, stood me by a desk, took a pic, and said goodbye.

Walked to the beach, got another bolt (ancient Honda jazz with boy racer exhaust and remnants of rear suspension), and sat in slow moving traffic back to the condo.

The whole process took 1 hour 14 minutes, the longest bit being the return bolt ride in traffic.

If I'd known so many people wanted a pic of me, I'd have had a shave before I went!

Incidentally,  immigration has changed since I was last there, pre covid. Two new buildings, it seemed more efficient. Having said that, there was a queue of people 80 long lining up inside and outside the new building on the left. I'm glad I didn't have to join it...

• Like 2
  • Great Info 5

2 hours ago, Painter said:

Just visited Manerrat's office to extend my retirement extension.

Arrived at office at 0955. They'd done all they needed by 1005, including taking a pic.

Arrived at Bkk bank beach road branch at 1012. Greeted by a manerrat employee in a pink shirt, who got me a ticket (number 7), and took a pic of me with my passport. 

Sat and waited no more than 5 minutes, became very rich then very poor in seconds, signed 32 documents, and was out of the branch by 1025. Into a Bolt (very nice, almost new BYO electric thing) for a trip to immigration.  Phoned manerrat's employee, who took me inside, stood me by a desk, took a pic, and said goodbye.

Walked to the beach, got another bolt (ancient Honda jazz with boy racer exhaust and remnants of rear suspension), and sat in slow moving traffic back to the condo.

The whole process took 1 hour 14 minutes, the longest bit being the return bolt ride in traffic.

If I'd known so many people wanted a pic of me, I'd have had a shave before I went!

Incidentally,  immigration has changed since I was last there, pre covid. Two new buildings, it seemed more efficient. Having said that, there was a queue of people 80 long lining up inside and outside the new building on the left. I'm glad I didn't have to join it...

Rules changing all the time i have never had to go to immigration for renewing guess this time will be different

7 minutes ago, Yesitisdakid said:

Rules changing all the time i have never had to go to immigration for renewing guess this time will be different

Yup... it was literally 2 minutes, stand there, smile, free to go...

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Yesitisdakid said:

Had to do the same last October. Before that, no trip to immigration required.

Also different as of a little over a year ago was the requirement to go to the Bangkok Bank branch to become 800K richer for a few minutes. For me that was the most time consuming part of the process. IIRC, I was there for over an hour while waiting in line and then watching the bank employees dick around preparing the documentation.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, forcebwithu said:

Also different as of a little over a year ago was the requirement to go to the Bangkok Bank branch to become 800K richer for a few minutes. For me that was the most time consuming part of the process. IIRC, I was there for over an hour while waiting in line and then watching the bank employees dick around preparing the documentation.

I expected the bkk bank visit to be the longest wait... but it seemed well set up. The manerrat employee there must have taken 8 pictures in thr time I was there, so the wait afterwards will have been longer. The 4 tellers were all doing whatever they do.

A thought did cross my mind... if I'd been logged onto the bkk bank app at the same time as the money was deposited in my account, could I send it somewhere else before the bank withdrew it? Then I realised that the bank had my passport, so I probably wouldn't have got far....

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Painter said:

I expected the bkk bank visit to be the longest wait... but it seemed well set up. The manerrat employee there must have taken 8 pictures in thr time I was there, so the wait afterwards will have been longer. The 4 tellers were all doing whatever they do.

A thought did cross my mind... if I'd been logged onto the bkk bank app at the same time as the money was deposited in my account, could I send it somewhere else before the bank withdrew it? Then I realised that the bank had my passport, so I probably wouldn't have got far....

LOL. I had the same thought as well. During the wait I went out to the ATM to get some cash and saw a balance of 800K+ in my account. Oh the possibilities... but as you correctly pointed out, they had my passport so my freedom with the new found wealth would be short lived.

8 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

Same here. I am fortunate enough to be able to carry the 800,000 balance in my Bangkok Bank Account. I stop by and get the letter on my way to Maneerat. 

7 hours ago, ChiFlyer said:

Same here. I am fortunate enough to be able to carry the 800,000 balance in my Bangkok Bank Account. I stop by and get the letter on my way to Maneerat. 

Just to clarify. It's not that I'm not able, it's just that I don't want to tie up that amount of money in Thailand when I can earn more than enough by investing the money to cover the agent's fee.

• Thumbs Up 3