Thai Etiquette

SCOTTIEDAM

Hey guys,

Has this ever happened to you?  A customer came to the house to look at a dress my wife was making her, but the wife was down by one of the fish ponds and I was in my office working, and this lady just walked in the front door, didn't ring the bell, didn't knock, nothing, just walked in the house. I heard a noise and went to investigate, and found this old Thai lady and her friend walking around my house.

I told them they had to please wait outside, with hand jesters and ackbye( "go away" in Thai ) forgive the spelling, as I don't speak fluent Thai, they kinda understood and went outside, and I went to the wife and asked if this is normal, never happened before, and she said it was ok, she was family.

Turns out, she was a friend of a friend, who knew one of my wife's aunts, and she was Thai, so it was ok ! WTF ???

• Haha 5
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, SCOTTIEDAM said:

Hey guys,

Has this ever happened to you?  A customer came to the house to look at a dress my wife was making her, but the wife was down by one of the fish ponds and I was in my office working, and this lady just walked in the front door, didn't ring the bell, didn't knock, nothing, just walked in the house. I heard a noise and went to investigate, and found this old Thai lady and her friend walking around my house.

I told them they had to please wait outside, with hand jesters and ackbye( "go away" in Thai ) forgive the spelling, as I don't speak fluent Thai, they kinda understood and went outside, and I went to the wife and asked if this is normal, never happened before, and she said it was ok, she was family.

Turns out, she was a friend of a friend, who knew one of my wife's aunts, and she was Thai, so it was ok ! WTF ???

Amazing. My doors are always locked the second I walk into my house. I have always been that way.

Usually the gate is always closed and locked. Anyone found within my confines univited would most likely not walk out still breathing.

15 minutes ago, Glasseye said:

Amazing. My doors are always locked the second I walk into my house. I have always been that way.

Usually the gate is always closed and locked. Anyone found within my confines univited would most likely not walk out still breathing.

I was brought up in the north of scotland, all those years ago we didn't lock the door unless going out of town. Mind you no random Thais walking into the home in those days.

Now i have a digital lock, fukcing lucky to get in myself, strangers have no chance.

• Thumbs Up 1

16 minutes ago, Glasseye said:

Same with me, doors always locked when I am in to stay; I can recall when I was a child in the '60s that we never bothered locking our doors in our small northern community, and even when I lived in the smaller and more northern Dawson City in the '80s it was common to leave one's dwelling unlocked but you won't find that today and I think the  main reason why this has changed over the years is the prevalence of addictive drugs in today's society - too many crimes of opportunity happening to feed these habits. 

Just now, maipenrai said:

Same with me, doors always locked when I am in to stay; I can recall when I was a child in the '60s that we never bothered locking our doors in our small northern community, and even when I lived in the smaller and more northern Dawson City in the '80s it was common to leave one's dwelling unlocked but you won't find that today and I think the  main reason why this has changed over the years is the prevalence of addictive drugs in today's society - too many crimes of opportunity happening to feed these habits. 

It is the most basic and simplist method of home safety. That, along with good lighting are the two most important things a person can do for home safety.

Amazing how few people actually follow these basic simple rules.

• Great Info 1