Making a trip up to Bangkok

ChiFlyer

On 3/11/2024 at 12:56 AM, ChiFlyer said:

Well I remember when a message topic such as this would have prompted different questions from myself other than the ones I am about to ask. Getting older is a bitch, but also a blessing at times. Who knows. Anyway ->

In early May the Mrs and myself are making a few days trip up to Bangkok from the overall Bang Lamung area. The purpose of the trip is for her to have an interview at the US Embassy to obtain a visa so that she can accompany me on a trip to the US in September. On paper she is a lock, but visas at the US Embassy are a mystery box. That topic belongs in a different thread than this one.

What I am asking about is that come hell or high water what are some suggestions for some side trips and restaurants. It has been decades since I spent much time in Bangkok.

• We are staying at the Chatrium Riverside, which is on the Chao Phraya near the Spahan Taksin Sky Train stop. The hotel has river boat ferries that will take one to various locations and connections. I have stayed there several time before and it is a very good moderately priced hotel with a good buffet breakfast option. I opted for a suite with a river view (not all that much more expensive) to set a positive mood for the Mrs and her interview.
  • https://www.chatrium.com/chatriumriversidebangkok?utm_source=google&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=gmb-chatriumhotelriversidebangkok
  • The Mrs has never seen Wat Po or the Royal Palace. These are relatively close together and I figure this will be a good day trip.
  • I have never been to Asiatique, which is not that far from the hotel. I am thinking we can go there one night to sample the food stalls. Anyone been there?
  • I  am also looking for some restaurant suggestions in the general area. Isan Thai food suggestions would be most appreciated, but some decent Farang places would be good as well. I checked for the places that I liked a decade of so back and most have gone out of business, or Google is blocking them from searches. I am really becoming suspicious of Google.

If you have a BTS station at your doorstep, the city is your oyster.

Terminal 21 is also i central thing to check (if you have wifey with you), can take the BTS 0r MRT there. Pedestrian connectins, etc. Great food court.

Then down to Asoks and a short cross over and walk down to ....

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Benchakitti+Park,+Ratchadaphisek+Road,+Khlong+Toei,+Bangkok,+Thailand/Asok,+Kamphaeng+Phet+7+Rd,+Bang+Kapi,+Huai+Khwang,+Bangkok+10310,+Thailand/@13.7316419,100.5495213,15z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m14!4m13!1m5!1m1!1s0x30e29f1bbc1ff399:0x272f7997bda0bbf6!2m2!1d100.5587134!2d13.7295129!1m5!1m1!1s0x30e29ef1f0c56179:0x12b04663d38f032b!2m2!1d100.5603061!2d13.7370587!3e2?entry=ttu

We made it up to Bangkok today. Both the Mrs and myself have been under the weather recently, so I am not sure how much site seeing we will be doing in this heat. I do want to try the restaurant that @lazarus recommended.

The main purpose for the 4 day trip is for the Mrs' visa interview at the US Embassy. We will go through her docs once again tomorrow, so that she is fresh on everything for the interview. Tuesday is the actual interview. Our agent got an early time for the interview, so we will probably hustle it over to the embassy trying for a 7:30 arrival for an 8:45 interview. According to our agent one gets a seeding number based on their arrival time.

One disappointment so far. The dinner time party boats on the Chao Phraya are kicking up a bloody racket. I have stayed at the Chatrium Riverside 5 or 6 times in the past and do not recall there being an issue of this nature. I am unlikely to stay here again for this reason.  

• Like 4

11 hours ago, ChiFlyer said:

We made it up to Bangkok today. Both the Mrs and myself have been under the weather recently, so I am not sure how much site seeing we will be doing in this heat. I do want to try the restaurant that @lazarus recommended.

The main purpose for the 4 day trip is for the Mrs' visa interview at the US Embassy. We will go through her docs once again tomorrow, so that she is fresh on everything for the interview. Tuesday is the actual interview. Our agent got an early time for the interview, so we will probably hustle it over to the embassy trying for a 7:30 arrival for an 8:45 interview. According to our agent one gets a seeding number based on their arrival time.

One disappointment so far. The dinner time party boats on the Chao Phraya are kicking up a bloody racket. I have stayed at the Chatrium Riverside 5 or 6 times in the past and do not recall there being an issue of this nature. I am unlikely to stay here again for this reason.  

Good luck to the Mrs. on the interview.

I've entertained thoughts on trying for a visa for my lady, but as we're not married figured it would be a waste of time and money.

I'm thinking of going to Bangkok with the GF, just for a few days away from Pattaya. It's many years since I stayed overnight there, but back in the day my usual hotel was the Grace Hotel, just off Suk near Nana. Very popular with the Arabs back then, but it was a great location and they never bothered me. It's near the Nana skytrain station so convenient for travel, but looking at the website the prices have gone way up since I last stayed there 20-odd years ago. Has anybody been there recently, is it still OK?

30 minutes ago, Toy Boy said:

I'm thinking of going to Bangkok with the GF, just for a few days away from Pattaya. It's many years since I stayed overnight there, but back in the day my usual hotel was the Grace Hotel, just off Suk near Nana. Very popular with the Arabs back then, but it was a great location and they never bothered me. It's near the Nana skytrain station so convenient for travel, but looking at the website the prices have gone way up since I last stayed there 20-odd years ago. Has anybody been there recently, is it still OK?

Back in my Bangkok days, also about 20 years ago, I stayed frequently at the President Solitaire on soi 11. It was a great deal back then and was/is located about half way between Nana and soi Cowboy.

Sadly, I stayed there again for an overnight about 5 years ago and it had been pretty much run into the ground.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

Good luck to the Mrs. on the interview.

I've entertained thoughts on trying for a visa for my lady, but as we're not married figured it would be a waste of time and money.

I will post an update after the interview. With regard to your lady giving it a try, it is definitely a crap shoot. Very few agents will even be willing to engage in obtaining a visa from the US Embassy. I have been told that the following are important in the eyes of the US Embassy.

• Has she traveled (to the West) before and returned to Thailand without incident? Prior to myself, my Mrs had a Norwegian boyfriend. She made a few trips to Norway and our agent says that this is a big plus.
  • Does she own significant Thai assets directly in her name? (House, Condo, Car, Land, .....).
  • Can she demonstrate strong family ties that will motivate her to return to Thailand.

There are other factors as well, but these are what I understand to be the most important.

• Great Info 1

1 hour ago, ChiFlyer said:

The Mrs was granted a US B1 Tourist Visa this Morning. She put in a solid effort preparing for the interview.

There must have been 100 applicants at the US Embassy this Morning, many of whom left unhappy. I think that the Mrs was successful for two primary reasons.

• She has previously traveled to the West (Norway).
  • She owns in her own name a fairly significant amount of land, property, etc.

Being married to a US citizen who holds a long term Thai retirement visa probably did not hurt as well. 

Great news. Glad it worked out for you and your Mrs.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, forcebwithu said:

Great news. Glad it worked out for you and your Mrs.

Thanks.

Now comes the next part -> getting everything in the trip scheduled.

• I enrolled the Mrs for an American Airlines Advantage membership this afternoon. We may as well collect the points for these occasional very long trips.
  • I will hold off on buying airplane tickets until after she has her passport-visa in hand (probably about 1 week). I want to read any visa terms before committing to the tickets.
  • Airfare is going to be the biggest ticket item for the trip. We are going to fly Business Class (probably on JAL through Tokyo (HND)). Since I am waiting that long, I will wait until after the 17th (cycle closing date for my Amex card).
  • Lots of other things to do, but all are dependent on the travel dates.
  • Like 5

8 minutes ago, ChiFlyer said:

Got a pleasant surprise this afternoon.

The Mrs.' Visa was delivered. They had said 1 week. It was only two days.

The very good news (this is the first time that I am seeing the Visa) is that it a B1-B2 Tourist Visa allowing multiple entries over the next 10 years. 🙂 

Wow, that's awesome 👌 

Well done you both. 🍻

• Like 2

On 5/9/2024 at 11:19 PM, ChiFlyer said:

The very good news (this is the first time that I am seeing the Visa) is that it a B1-B2 Tourist Visa allowing multiple entries over the next 10 years. 🙂 

It must be that Chi-Town charm you exude.

On 5/7/2024 at 6:11 PM, ChiFlyer said:

Thanks.

Now comes the next part -> getting everything in the trip scheduled.

• I enrolled the Mrs for an American Airlines Advantage membership this afternoon. We may as well collect the points for these occasional very long trips.
  • I will hold off on buying airplane tickets until after she has her passport-visa in hand (probably about 1 week). I want to read any visa terms before committing to the tickets.
  • Airfare is going to be the biggest ticket item for the trip. We are going to fly Business Class (probably on JAL through Tokyo (HND)). Since I am waiting that long, I will wait until after the 17th (cycle closing date for my Amex card).
  • Lots of other things to do, but all are dependent on the travel dates.

BTW - AA premium econ is just about as good as biz class, IMO. It might save you a few quid.

• Surprised 1

On 5/9/2024 at 11:19 PM, ChiFlyer said:

That’s excellent. It’ll be easily renewed if needed later.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Glasseye said:

Too each their own. Not worth it for me.

Bingo, despite being affordable i will never ever buy a BC seat all the time i've got a hole in my arse lol, i hate flying as a passenger, i get this heady feeling (cabin pressure) which is really uncomfortable and it makes no difference where i'm sitting, i can't sleep despite trying all sorts of remedies.

Paying these prices for BC is just not worth it imo of course but i can quite understand those that do and no doubt benefit from it. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Pumpuynarak said:

Bingo, despite being affordable i will never ever buy a BC seat all the time i've got a hole in my arse lol, i hate flying as a passenger, i get this heady feeling (cabin pressure) which is really uncomfortable and it makes no difference where i'm sitting, i can't sleep despite trying all sorts of remedies.

Paying these prices for BC is just not worth it imo of course but i can quite understand those that do and no doubt benefit from it. 

Same same. With the purchase of two seats the extra costs could be into the thousand$$.

• Thumbs Up 1