Golf

Archie43

5 hours ago, Golfingboy said:

Thought Spieth was heading towards an easy victory at Pebble Beach, now Hoge has it wrapped up unless he drives in the Pacific on 18

Won by 2 shots in the end then. 

Been watching it on and off over the days. Like to have it on if I'm not watching something I need to concentrate on, find it nice and relaxing. 

• Thumbs Up 1

14 minutes ago, galenkia said:

Won by 2 shots in the end then. 

Been watching it on and off over the days. Like to have it on if I'm not watching something I need to concentrate on, find it nice and relaxing. 

In between glasses of milk and root beer, right mate? 

I’m watching you from across the pond…..

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

@Stillearly I don’t know where I stand on this whole Saudi thing. Been listening to a few podcasts and interviews with Tiger, Pat Perez, etc….It’s great to see how many star players are staying loyal to the PGA and not even considering jumping ship for some cash. One of the beauties of golf is that the prize money part of salaries, must be continuously earned, besides endorsements, there are no guaranteed paycheques(then again, Tiger made 10x the $ off the course). You wonder what the motivation is for the Saudi group, with guaranteed prize money every week, fields of only 40 players, and huge upfront offers(Bryson $135M) just to get the guys to “defect”. 

Doesn’t sound very profitable to me…..or is it? Maybe the PGA is making so much more revenue than we think, off the backs of the players, that they deserve an extra slice and have been getting royally f—led since Tiger came on the scene. Perez even mentioned that if they donated $500M today to Woods’ bank account, that wouldn’t even begin to pay him back for the interest and investment he is responsible for bringing to golf since 1996. Strong words indeed. But it seems over the last few days that this is not just talk, this League might very well be happening, and soon at that

Anxious to see how it plays out, but let’s face it……the PGA Tour, and namely the 4 majors & Players championship, is the biggest draw in the world, and that won’t change anytime soon. To me, the Saudi thing will be more like the 50+ circuit, just an exhibition of sorts. Don’t see how we as golf fans could possibly be tuning in instead of watching the PGA Tour……unless a majority of the proven, younger guys switch over, which won’t happen. But if they DID convince Rory, Morikawa, DJ, Hideki as well as Phil, Westwood, and other 40+ guys, no doubt it COULD be a huge draw

I am all for competition, but in this case, for me, there is ONE golf tour, and I don’t see a Saudi group destroying that just because of unlimited deep pockets. But I do feel many pros are in for a pay raise, especially the ones who barely cover their expenses in a bad year and really need it

Tough scoring at the Honda Classic, always nice to see in these days of insane distance. The tee times are not out for Saturday yet, because a single player is left. His 2 companions finished the par 5 18th, but he decided to mark his ball in the fairway and wait until sunrise. Never heard of this before, usually the group as a whole quits or finishes together.

To be fair, he is right on the cut line after being near the lead, and was a sponsor’s invite with no PGA experience . But to go out at 6:45 AM, cold weather, water & sand everywhere needing a par, I think finishing with his partners would have been better, even with light fading

B17B0FE6-27C9-4BE9-8602-586FFF108953.jpeg

Edited by Golfingboy

Damn Phil…..Callaway, Amstel Light, Workday and KPMG

Those 4 companies were NOT paying him chump change

I always liked the man, but it’s too bad he is getting all this negative press when his playing career was basically ending(PGA). He didn’t need any extra money, and now it looks like he’s cost himself millions for opening his mouth. I wonder when we will see him again….. I have heard he won’t be welcome at the Masters in April. Crazy to think, as a 3-time champion

E8D0B333-960A-486B-8573-14B7B12A2CC7.jpeg

• Sad 2

3 hours ago, Golfingboy said:

Damn Phil…..Callaway, Amstel Light, Workday and KPMG

Those 4 companies were NOT paying him chump change

I always liked the man, but it’s too bad he is getting all this negative press when his playing career was basically ending(PGA). He didn’t need any extra money, and now it looks like he’s cost himself millions for opening his mouth. I wonder when we will see him again….. I have heard he won’t be welcome at the Masters in April. Crazy to think, as a 3-time champion

E8D0B333-960A-486B-8573-14B7B12A2CC7.jpeg

Yeah, sometimes it's best to just keep certain opinions to yourself. Not the first to say something personally costly and sure won't be the last.

• Thumbs Up 1

Tough scoring day In Florida for Arnie’s  event. Billy Horschel just got me of the best rulings I’ve ever seen…..Rolled through into the thick cabbage on his approach to 18 by 6 inches, looked like sure bogey. Because of a sprinkler, gets to drop in the fringe, sinks a long birdie. 

Rory fading away but still in it

11 minutes ago, Golfingboy said:

Tough scoring day In Florida for Arnie’s  event. Billy Horschel just got me of the best rulings I’ve ever seen…..Rolled through into the thick cabbage on his approach to 18 by 6 inches, looked like sure bogey. Because of a sprinkler, gets to drop in the fringe, sinks a long birdie. 

Rory fading away but still in it

Watching this myself.

Low scores for most of the leading players. Lots of dropped shots.

• Like 2

Tyrell Hatton 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 knocked a putt 10 feet past the hole, and was just shocked at how fast it was. Suddenly, Azinger and Maltbie are talking about how much emotional he is, and how much he complains. I don’t feel Hatton is that bad

Said it many times before, but American golf commentators, especially Azinger, are so biased in favour of their own players…..I can’t be the only one who sees this. 

• Like 2

On 2/19/2022 at 3:59 PM, Golfingboy said:

@Stillearly I don’t know where I stand on this whole Saudi thing. Been listening to a few podcasts and interviews with Tiger, Pat Perez, etc….It’s great to see how many star players are staying loyal to the PGA and not even considering jumping ship for some cash. One of the beauties of golf is that the prize money part of salaries, must be continuously earned, besides endorsements, there are no guaranteed paycheques(then again, Tiger made 10x the $ off the course). You wonder what the motivation is for the Saudi group, with guaranteed prize money every week, fields of only 40 players, and huge upfront offers(Bryson $135M) just to get the guys to “defect”. 

Doesn’t sound very profitable to me…..or is it? Maybe the PGA is making so much more revenue than we think, off the backs of the players, that they deserve an extra slice and have been getting royally f—led since Tiger came on the scene. Perez even mentioned that if they donated $500M today to Woods’ bank account, that wouldn’t even begin to pay him back for the interest and investment he is responsible for bringing to golf since 1996. Strong words indeed. But it seems over the last few days that this is not just talk, this League might very well be happening, and soon at that

Anxious to see how it plays out, but let’s face it……the PGA Tour, and namely the 4 majors & Players championship, is the biggest draw in the world, and that won’t change anytime soon. To me, the Saudi thing will be more like the 50+ circuit, just an exhibition of sorts. Don’t see how we as golf fans could possibly be tuning in instead of watching the PGA Tour……unless a majority of the proven, younger guys switch over, which won’t happen. But if they DID convince Rory, Morikawa, DJ, Hideki as well as Phil, Westwood, and other 40+ guys, no doubt it COULD be a huge draw

I am all for competition, but in this case, for me, there is ONE golf tour, and I don’t see a Saudi group destroying that just because of unlimited deep pockets. But I do feel many pros are in for a pay raise, especially the ones who barely cover their expenses in a bad year and really need it

I hear you and understand - not so sure myself about what 'side' to support. But having said that I do see that the PGA is the one trying to 'divide' - whereas the Asian Tour (supported by Saudi money) has been trying to become a 'third' player in the overall market. The PGA has fought against the Asian Tour for decades - because they see it (rightly) as a threat to their dominance and control.  Lets face it, the European Tour (ET) is only going well because of a few sponsors - lose them and the ET is in big trouble. The PGA and ET have for decades fought to keep the Asian Tour 'down'.  Now that the Asian Tour has the money to 'fight back' against the PGA and ET tour, the PGA especially is threatening all sorts of sanctions and suspension.  I have been across what Norman has been trying to do for years - and he is right. The idiots in the PGA Australia refused to join the Asian Tour because the US PGA told them to - now look where they are.  In return the PGA supported a couple of events in Australia and 'supports' players to go there and play - remember the infamous Australia events when Tiger was 'caught out'.   

The PGA wants to dominate and control golf worldwide - which they currently do because of the money they have on offer, and that global players like Rory play there because of that fact. But if the players also played elsewhere a lot, then the PGA (and its sponsors) would lose that power and control.  The Saudis are not great, but who is to say that the money from all sources behind the PGA or ET is totally 'clean'? Human Rights abuses occur all over the world, but to use that as a 'tactic' to discredit an opposing tour trying to become big, shows the depth that the PGA will sink to in order to keep its power and control. 

IMO golf is a global game and it should have 3 main tours - USA, Europe and Asia.  Concurrent in that should be the ability of all players to play in all 3 tours - within certain guidelines etc.  The fact that both the ET and the PGA play several of 'their' events in Asia shows that to be the case.  The PGA wants to be like the LPGA - whereby most of the leading players from different worlds are all playing on the one big tour - the LPGA.   The LPGA 'allow and support' the Korean, and Japanese, and European Tour players, participating in their Tour. But the LPGA is too small globally to have 2-3 large Tours - the LPGA is needed in the women's game.  That is not the case for the men's game - but the PGA refuses to even discuss with the Asian Tour for it to play a bigger role in global golf.  So they are forcing the Asian Tour to 'go it alone' hoping that they will fail and fade away, and thereby leaving the PGA in power for decades to come. 

Overall, I support the Asian Tour and what Greg Norman is trying to achieve. But the PGA is very very powerful - as Phil found out the hard way - several of his sponsors have cancelled their contracts.  It all reminds me of Tennis, Rugby League, Rugby Union, Football, NFL - it often takes dramatic circumstances for a sport/game to be taken out of the control of the existing vested interests, for the game itself to be able to improve and grow.   

Edited by AussieBob
  • Great Info 1

@AussieBobI agree with pretty much all of your post. Competition is always healthy, but I think we all agree the Saudi concept vs the PGA is apples& oranges. The PGA must take a firm stand yes, but whenever you start punishing players just for looking elsewhere, you more like Putin than a democracy. But I’m all for the PGA, the Saudi thing is already dead IMO. 

One of the main problems going back to Seve’s era even, was the minimum # of tournaments required to be a member. I believe Rory  and others chose to play in America “full-time as a member”, but don’t they still play in Europe some weeks? 

Golf is a global game, let the stars play where they please every week. The hosts should be happy enough to receive them, instead of a supposed “non-profit” worrying if that guy will reach his 15 tournaments or whatever for that season. The PGA should remain the main attraction, I’m all for that, but any monopoly has issues. Why is Monahan making $5M a year in a non-profit? Why are suspensions never discussed, did Dustin really take a 6 month “personal break” in 2014, or was it his final warning for being a cokehead? 

The other problem I have is with LPGA. That Tour could be so much more, if not juste to capitalize on the beauty of some of their members. Sex sells, doesn’t take away from their skills. Any again, the Yanks being jealous of foreigners….let ‘s face it, as a worldwide tour, the Koreans are by far the best in the ladies’ game, it won’t change. I’m not PC at all, but when they tried to implement an English proficiency for the Tour, one of the most racist ideas I saw, and it was killed fast

3 hours ago, Golfingboy said:

@AussieBobI agree with pretty much all of your post. Competition is always healthy, but I think we all agree the Saudi concept vs the PGA is apples& oranges. The PGA must take a firm stand yes, but whenever you start punishing players just for looking elsewhere, you more like Putin than a democracy. But I’m all for the PGA, the Saudi thing is already dead IMO. 
One of the main problems going back to Seve’s era even, was the minimum # of tournaments required to be a member. I believe Rory  and others chose to play in America “full-time as a member”, but don’t they still play in Europe some weeks? 
Golf is a global game, let the stars play where they please every week. The hosts should be happy enough to receive them, instead of a supposed “non-profit” worrying if that guy will reach his 15 tournaments or whatever for that season. The PGA should remain the main attraction, I’m all for that, but any monopoly has issues. Why is Monahan making $5M a year in a non-profit? Why are suspensions never discussed, did Dustin really take a 6 month “personal break” in 2014, or was it his final warning for being a cokehead? 
The other problem I have is with LPGA. That Tour could be so much more, if not juste to capitalize on the beauty of some of their members. Sex sells, doesn’t take away from their skills. Any again, the Yanks being jealous of foreigners….let ‘s face it, as a worldwide tour, the Koreans are by far the best in the ladies’ game, it won’t change. I’m not PC at all, but when they tried to implement an English proficiency for the Tour, one of the most racist ideas I saw, and it was killed fast

I dont think the Saudi thing is dead yet.  They have committed to financially supporting the Asian Tour, and with that they have requested Norman setup a group of 'premium' events with premium players attending - like the Rolex events in Europe.  I am sure that break away group thing they tried is dead, but I am sure they will now move towards Plan B.

How the global golf works is that each Tour requires its 'full time members' to play a certain minimum number of events, but they also have co-sanctioned events like the Open whereby it is counted as a event in the PGA and points won and prizemoney earned counts towards the PGA.  Each Tour has an end of season big money event (Fedex Cup and the DP World Champs) and only the top qualified 'member' players get to play in that event.  Guys on the PGA tour can qualify if they play 'enough' events, and if they have won enough points/money on that Tour. There are lots of other complications and variations which I dont fully know - they seem to change each year - remember when the CEO of the European Tour went to USA and reached agreement with Rory about the minimum number of events he had to play.  What the Asian Tour wants is a part of that action (co-sanctioned events) and their own end of season event in Saudi. But both the PGA and ET see that as a threat and have reacted.

Yes the PGA (and LPGA) keep a lot of things 'hidden'. But they can do that because they are not publicly listed organisations or companies - unlike EPL or NFL etc etc. 

You are dead right about the LPGA - it is a fact that the LPGA is not happy about the Koreans (and now some Thais and Japanese) winning so many events.  But they know that if they went it on their own they would fold - the money is not there for the women's game in USA - it certainly is however in Korea and Japan and if those 2 Tours ever got together like the mean's Asian Tour is becoming, the LPGA would be in big trouble.  The English proficiency push is still there, but now it is strongly encouraged not a rule - it was done because the USA audience hated that non-Americans were winning and they could not even speak English when interviewed.  They also tried to introduce clothing rules and that went down like a lead balloon too - some say it was because the Asian ladies looked so sexy and slim, but the American girls were ugly and fat 😁  That Nellie Korda reached number 1 for a while they loved it, but with Jing Young Ko now back on top they do not like it.

The LPGA and PGA have one thing in common - they are totally biased towards the USA Tour, USA Players, USA Sponsors, and USA spectators.   Anything that will take that arrogance and power over the game away from them, I will always support. We are lucky the R&A still 'owns' the rules - otherwise who knows what the PGA would have done by now. 

• Like 1

@AussieBob That’s funny about the dress code, I remember Lexi putting on a dress from the 1800’s and saying”LPGA is this modest enough”. I’ve seen some of the prize money though, and some events have now gotten way up there, along with the season ending bonus. I don't think they should be anywhere near the PGA, I think the average golfer still prefers to see an average drive of 310 and the odd 380ish, versus 240-280. I forgot about how many Thai ladies are successful too, not just the sisters…..Patty won a major and people barely heard of her. 🇨🇦 Brooke Henderson features prominently in the broadcasts, but like you said and I reminded my late Dad, the 🇺🇸 analysts don’t love Brooke, they hate the Asians…..

One thing I will say about a lady’s odds of “making it”……it’s much easier IMO than a man. I would venture to say, including the college kids, there are tens of thousands of elite male golfers worldwide, indexes much better than scratch, who can shoot 66 or better at will on average tracks. DJ, Rory, Rahm, Hideki…..these guys deserve to be at the top, and comfortably at that. But the difference between the guy who is say #100 on the money list, and the Sunshine Tour or top American amateur player is very small. An injury, a cold putter or driver, the pressure of Monday Qualifying…….there is no shortage of top players waiting to snatch your place on Tour. The ladies, well, if you can drive it 275 today while staying inside the tree line and not 3-putt often……probably make it to the LPGA very fast. But not be a multi-millionaire at 22 like the boys……

Scheffler needs a massive 2 putt to stay -5 and likely win. Woodland finishes eagle, double, bogey to blow it. Hovland barely clears the lake on 18 to set up an uphill birdie putt. He had his chances too. 

Hoping to see a playoff, Hatton has been in the house at -4 for a while. Be great to see what Azinger has to say if Tyrell ends up winning

They clearly didnt like Rory shooting 7 under on day 1 - the course was brutal over the weekend. That the winner was -5 shows how tough it got.  On Sunday only 2 blokes (Hatton and Herbert) shot under 70.  All Rory had to do was shoot par on Fri, Sat and Sun and he would have won by 2 shots. IMO Rory seems to lack 'awareness' - he goes too hard at it when the course/weather of the day requires the players to be more 'controlled'.  He does that a lot because he is so good and it often comes off for him - but when it doesn't it ruins his round - he is such a 'confidence player'.  I have said it for a while, it is no coincidence IMO that he has not won a major since he sacked his caddie and replaced him with a mate.  I doubt that there is a pro in the top 100 that would swap for Harry, if he and Rory did split.  I understand why he split with JP, but surely a pro caddie would have been a better choice, rather than a close mate. 

@AussieBob I forgot that Rory has had his mate on the bag so long. Hard not to argue that a guy like Steve Williams wouldn’t win him more majors, when you have 270+ shots in 4 days, a great caddie is bound to shave 1 or 2 off…..facts. 

Some idiot tweeted about how he heckled Rory on Saturday, bragging he’s the reason Rory went downhill all weekend. Don’t think he got booted by security, but Rory did turn and glare at him. 

https://twitter.com/avg_follower