Golf

Archie43

5 hours ago, Golfingboy said:

Paul Casey with one of the worst breaks I have ever seen. Stripes a drive down the middle, just misses a few old divots, but ends up in an old pitch mark from a plugged ball….with probably no relief. That sucks, never seen it before. I’m thinking another pro is to blame for not patching that up

8E3EAB7E-F1CB-4A51-9BC8-A9349E18566F.jpeg

Yep - that blew his chances really. About time golf changed more rules to get rid of the luck factor - balls on any fairway should not be 'punished' - you get a drop from a sprinkler - why not from a divot or pitch mark?

• Thumbs Up 1

Just watched the event on catch-up TV (fast forward all the khrapp ads) - Smith was solid and Casey was unlucky. Lahiri always chokes under pressure - he doesnt handle it well when he is in with a chance to win.  Amazing golf course with 3 finishing holes that always seem to make it hard to win - great event.  

I loved that an Aussie won of course, but even more happy that not many Yanks did well - and none of the really big boofhead hitters did well.  Golf is so much better when it is all about skill under pressure and not power.   Having the catch-up facility also meant I could fast-forward all the coverage of US players - even though they had no chance to win. Talk about biased coverage - saw way too many shots by Yanks when they had no chance - saw Sam Burns a lot and he ended up 26th !!  The Sky Golf UK commentators were OK, but unfortunately the TV coverage is controlled by the US Media and they show Yanks whenever possible.  I really hope that the PGA is dominated by non-USA players sometime in the future, like the LPGA - but they way they set up the PGA golf courses sure suits their big tall long bombers (who cant chip or putt like Seve Sergio etc. to save their life).

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, AussieBob said:

Yep - that blew his chances really. About time golf changed more rules to get rid of the luck factor - balls on any fairway should not be 'punished' - you get a drop from a sprinkler - why not from a divot or pitch mark?

Sorry for Casey who had a real good go and played really well.

He had the not insignificant consolation of pocketing $ 1,380,000 for third place !

I wish they had let me play as I would have got $45,000 for coming last. I wonder how many balls I would have drowned on the 17th? :default_blum:

• Haha 3

10 hours ago, Jambo said:

He had the not insignificant consolation of pocketing $ 1,380,000 for third place !

I wish they had let me play as I would have got $45,000 for coming last. I wonder how many balls I would have drowned on the 17th? :default_blum:

They let the worst golfer in the world play as a stunt once…..he dropped so many balls in the water, ended up putting it around the path. Scored 164 or some shite

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Golfingboy said:

Just read Europeans haven’t lost on home soil since 1993 at the Belfry. Hope they keep it going, but last September was such a resounding loss, you wonder if the Americans didn’t finally figure something out 

I would be very surprised if the Yanks don't win it again with the current crop of players they have available 

9 minutes ago, Stillearly said:

I would be very surprised if the Yanks don't win it again with the current crop of players they have available 

I tend to agree….the media and the betting houses had them as huge favourites before Wisconsin. I didn’t believe it….

17 hours ago, Jambo said:

Not sure how much golf you have played in Thailand, but there are many courses with island type greens like the 17th at Sawgrass - excpet the greens in Thailand are smaller.  Once course in Chiang Mai we played (Gassan Lakes) had two par 3s that were island greens.   But there was usually no wind and no pressure at all 🙂 

Yep - $45K USD for coming last - happy to accept that deal myself. 

6 hours ago, Golfingboy said:

87DE58B6-D9CA-4DDD-9C2B-6D157CC349C8.jpeg

Any parent who doesnt look towards golf for their talented young boy, and does not even give it a try, is an idiot.  Unlike so many other sports where the really big money is only made by a few, in golf everyone who is good enough to play the game at the elite level earns a lot of money. Cant remember his name, but there is a US Player that has played the PGA Tour on and off for over 15 years - never won a tournament - he has made over $10 million in prizemoney (plus add some sponsors deals etc. on top of that).  PLUS - they can all play into their 40s (like Tom Brady), and they can all join the Seniors Tour and make money into their 60s.  No other sport offers anywhere near the same financial rewards for so many players over such a long period of time.  AND - the nature of the sport and the integrity of the participants means that the vast majority of players are 'good men' (unlike most footballers etc.).  Parents - Listen - give golf a try !!

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, Golfingboy said:

Just read Europeans haven’t lost on home soil since 1993 at the Belfry. Hope they keep it going, but last September was such a resounding loss, you wonder if the Americans didn’t finally figure something out 

There was a big change of the guard in the European Team - Harrington picked too many 'old guard' players who failed to deliver - and he did not pick one he should have (Justin Rose).  Plus the US Team did the opposite - they got rid of the old guard - and the influx of new players mostly played well.  Then add Stricker as Captain with his no nonsense, open and friendly style - that was huge. The Yanks cant play as a team - Stricker did not try to make them into a 'team' - he just put people together that got on well, and then he let them all play as individuals.  Plus of course the crowd - besides no European support - the US spectators were a disgrace and got away with a lot on days 1 and 2.  It was only because of all the negative social media that they finally actually did something on day 3 to control the aholes, but by then it was too late.

It will not be same in Europe - the Yanks will not have so many things going their way.  I know it is 'unethical' but I would get a few boys from Millwall and let them loose at the US Players - that is basically what happened last time.  

• Thumbs Up 1

The Saudi League looks like it is going ahead, I thought it was dead. Wonder which players have actually committed. Here is the schedule, the total prize money is $255M just from these 8 events….I don’t see how that is possible with such an inferior product to PGA Tour

6C1C0497-7349-4928-B9ED-F3F95936AE9B.jpeg

Edited by Golfingboy
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Golfingboy said:

The Saudi League looks like it is going ahead, I thought it was dead. Wonder which players have actually committed. Here is the schedule, the total prize money is $255M just from these 8 events….I don’t see how that is possible with such an inferior product to PGA Tour

Small change to the Saudis especially with oil prices over the last couple of weeks ...

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Golfingboy said:

It is not really a Saudi Tour or League.  The Saudi money is bankrolling the Asian Tour's new premier events - like the Rolex series on the (ET) European Tour (including the DP World Tour).  It will attract some of the top players to participate - which is why the PGA and ET are fighting it and threatening players. That is also why companies in USA are cancelling sponsorship deals with those that participate (Like Phil). The existing hierarchy want to control where and when the best players in the world play - for their own benefits, not for the benefit of players or spectators.

Norman stated that the Saudis have committed to this long term.  They dont need to make money from it - unlike the PGA and ET.  What they are trying to do is to change the world game - and take some of the power and control away from the PGA.  The PGA wants most of the players playing in USA for most of the year.  The PGA 'puts up' with the Open, and some of 'their' players participating in the Rolex events, but they and their sponsors and the whole US golfing industry, want all the elite players to play in the USA most of the time.  They do that through prize money and setting the rules for participation in their Majors etc. 

What Norman has said is that they want the world's best players to be able to play in more locations outside USA.  There are 3 main golfing tours - PGA, ET and Asian.   The USA has the Majors and the Players, the ET has the Open and the Rolex and DP Word events, but the Asian Tour has very little 'special events'. 

The WGC has originally created 20 years ago to offer more 'money events' across the globe, besides just the Majors. The PGA agreed with that, and also with some of their players participating in Rolex events and DP World events, but they refused to agree to additional 'money events' on the Asian Tour.   What Norman has been doing for decades is to try and get a 'world series' of events that are above the PGA and the ET. They would all have massive prizemoney and all the best players, plus many others from all 3 Tours, would participate. What the Saudis and Norman want is just that - with 5-6 events on the PGA Tour and 5-6 events on the ET Tour, and5-6 events on the Asian Tour.  The PGA and ET are dead against that - the PGA wants all the best players playing week to week in USA - and the ET is happy with the Open and their own 5-6 big events - and of course the Ryder Cup.

Speaking of which - Norman has wanted the Ryder Cup to become a worldwide event.  All the best players in the world should be involved - but the PGA and ET refuse to even listen to such ideas - in their minds they 'own' the Ryder Cup.  Their approach to golf is not about the benefits to the world game - it is all about their own vested interests and control.

When a similar thing happened in cricket, the existing 'powers that be' refused to compromise or change for several years.  This could go in the same way - and hopefully eventually a 'balance' is reached.  If world golf breaks down to 3 Tours only and their best players never compete against each other, the game and spectators loses. But the PGA and ET would prefer that, than to give up their current power and control over where and when the players participate.

1 minute ago, Stillearly said:

^ The Aussies get to play in the Presidents Cup ..

Pfft - tokenism 🙂    But maybe the 'President's Cup' (how very American) becomes the playoff event for whoever plays the last winner of the Ryder Cup.  

Just watching the Valspar on Golf Channel, oh my so many long putts and chips holed out. Not a JT fan, but his last 5-6 holes are some of the best ballstriking/putting I’ve watched live. Wouldn’t be surprised if he hoists the trophy 

Edited by Golfingboy
  • Like 1

Just saw that Davis Love III is in the field. WTF, I know he probably has career status, but I am strongly against this. He did win once after 50, but turning 58 in April……you’ve made $50M +++ and you’re taking a spot away from a young man trying to earn a living

I don’t get it……Father Time has spoken Davis, you have zero chance of a high finish, move on, go fishing or bowling

On 3/18/2022 at 7:29 AM, Golfingboy said:

Just saw that Davis Love III is in the field. WTF, I know he probably has career status, but I am strongly against this. He did win once after 50, but turning 58 in April……you’ve made $50M +++ and you’re taking a spot away from a young man trying to earn a living

I don’t get it……Father Time has spoken Davis, you have zero chance of a high finish, move on, go fishing or bowling

I agree with you there - and a few related changes too.  IMO there are far too many 'old dogs' merely taking up slots while they prepare themselves for the senior tour.  Sure the 'greats' should be able to have a swan song or two as they fade out, but the PGA and ET should be making sure there is room for more newbies each year by pushing out those who are not the greats.  Likewise, if  a player does not win on the PGA or ET within say 10 years - then they should be ineligible to play on the main tour.  Far too many 'grafters' hanging around and taking up slots.  

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, AussieBob said:

I agree with you there - and a few related changes too.  IMO there are far too many 'old dogs' merely taking up slots while they prepare themselves for the senior tour.  Sure the 'greats' should be able to have a swan song or two as they fade out, but the PGA and ET should be making sure there is room for more newbies each year by pushing out those who are not the greats.  Likewise, if  a player does not win on the PGA or ET within say 10 years - then they should be ineligible to play on the main tour.  Far too many 'grafters' hanging around and taking up slots.  

Yes….my boy 🇨🇦 Hadwin is in the last group today, very happy about that. He won it 5 years ago, so obviously likes the track. But it will be the same old, NBC won’t even cover all of his shots. It will be the Sam Burns/JT show I’m afraid

• Thumbs Up 1