Golf

Archie43

4 hours ago, Golfingboy said:

@AussieBob I forgot that Rory has had his mate on the bag so long. Hard not to argue that a guy like Steve Williams wouldn’t win him more majors, when you have 270+ shots in 4 days, a great caddie is bound to shave 1 or 2 off…..facts. 
Some idiot tweeted about how he heckled Rory on Saturday, bragging he’s the reason Rory went downhill all weekend. Don’t think he got booted by security, but Rory did turn and glare at him. 
https://twitter.com/avg_follower

Rory cops a lot of crowd abuse in USA - brought a lot of that on himself when he was so aggressive to them in his early Ryder Cup matches. But that is no excuse - they should be throwing aholes like that bloke out - it aint the footy.  Trash talking to the players should be banned and anyone guilty thrown out and banned.  

Some people say Tiger did a lot for the game - IMO that is not totally true.  When Tiger played he was an absolute ahole and he brought the aggressive American aholes to see the game and support him.  'Get in the hole' 'Mashed Potatoes' and all that khrapp started with him.  He certainly has 'grown up' since those events years ago that lead to his divorce, but the footy aggressive crowds are still there in USA and a lot of them dont like Rory.  I hate watching the PGA now - except for the Majors, especially the Masters, where the crowds are more under control.  That plus the biased American media coverage, and their support of all things American, make me sick.  Who the phharkk cares that a US player went to XYZ University, or that Tiger or Phil made a birdie which makes them now only 2 over and 15 shots behind - Yanks.

I have been an avid golf watcher on TV for decades - but now I dont watch the PGA in USA.  I stick to the European Tour, LPGA, Seniors (go Bernard) and the Majors.  And no matter who it is, if it is not a Yank winning, then I am happy. And that is another reason I love the LPGA - the Yanks dont win too many because the courses are all set up for their 'college' game. And of course the Ryder and Solheim Cup - love it when the Yanks lose. 

• Haha 1

@AussieBob You forgot “light the candle” ! 
😂😂😂

I agree with what you said, I am by no means anti-American, but you rarely see the vulgar abuse by fans on European soil. And yes while Tiger and before him JD brought golf to a much wider audience, who are forced to play at public tracks and not their Dad’s country club, that audience has some undesirables in it. I was not born into privilege, just a regular guy. I have actually felt uncomfortable around a few very wealthy people, so in no way a snob, but golf is the exception. Doesn’t matter if it’s a cheap 9 hole municipal course, if I see someone in jeans and/or without a collared polo…..they go down a notch in my book, and I hope I’m not paired with them. Same as hearing a ringing phone, or talking in those 10 seconds I’m taking a shot. Chat with me on those 320 yard walks to my drive 😂

But unfortunately even if you play at better courses, you will always run into this shite, whether it’s your own group or someone close by. What are we going to do about it…let players on public courses, only if they have a certified copy of a diploma in golf course etiquette? 

I could on forever, but golf course behaviour by amateurs has pretty much followed society. Texting & driving, road rage, not opening doors for senior citizens, resorting to manslaughter when a kind word or a handshake might squash a beef, and just people not taking responsibility when they’re wrong. You have to love a place like Augusta that has public pay phones, and won’t let a single mobile come through the gates, especially in the age of the smartphone. Even I think that’s a little extreme, but it’s great to see traditions being honoured instead of “convenience”

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Golfingboy said:

@AussieBob You forgot “light the candle” ! 
😂😂😂

I agree with what you said, I am by no means anti-American, but you rarely see the vulgar abuse by fans on European soil. And yes while Tiger and before him JD brought golf to a much wider audience, who are forced to play at public tracks and not their Dad’s country club, that audience has some undesirables in it. I was not born into privilege, just a regular guy. I have actually felt uncomfortable around a few very wealthy people, so in no way a snob, but golf is the exception. Doesn’t matter if it’s a cheap 9 hole municipal course, if I see someone in jeans and/or without a collared polo…..they go down a notch in my book, and I hope I’m not paired with them. Same as hearing a ringing phone, or talking in those 10 seconds I’m taking a shot. Chat with me on those 320 yard walks to my drive 😂

But unfortunately even if you play at better courses, you will always run into this shite, whether it’s your own group or someone close by. What are we going to do about it…let players on public courses, only if they have a certified copy of a diploma in golf course etiquette? 

I could on forever, but golf course behaviour by amateurs has pretty much followed society. Texting & driving, road rage, not opening doors for senior citizens, resorting to manslaughter when a kind word or a handshake might squash a beef, and just people not taking responsibility when they’re wrong. You have to love a place like Augusta that has public pay phones, and won’t let a single mobile come through the gates, especially in the age of the smartphone. Even I think that’s a little extreme, but it’s great to see traditions being honoured instead of “convenience”

Well said mate - and I hear you.  Only 320 yards? 🙂

Yes it has followed society a lot, but it is also more than that. We used to play on a local PGA course - in this town the majority of residents are retirees and the average age of the members was over 50.  But we left because we could not stand the 'riff raff' and their terrible behaviour - and cheating.  Where I played as a member before (Sydney, Melbourne and Canberra) the members just did not behave that way - but up here it seems to be 'the norm'.  We once played with an older lady from Melbourne who was visiting for the first time - she was clearly 'a p[layer' in her younger days.  She and her husband were shocked at the behaviour - many timesn.  Then on one tee she said the funniest thing I have ever heard on a golf course.  I was literally just  about to tee off (in the back swing), when a bloke drove straight across the fairway on front of us, stopped at one of our group's balls, and then yelled out very loudly to his mate "Nuh - this aint it Davey" and then drove back - not a word or gesture towards us all just standing there watching.  She said in her dead pan classy voice:  "Etiquette? These people have no idea what it means, let along know how to spell it".  We burst out laughing - took a while before I could hit the ball - 350 yards of course (after the second hit). 

Edited by AussieBob
  • Haha 1

@AussieBob I was joking about 320. Was a very long hitter up until the age of 32 or so, funny enough even with the “old equipment” like Tiger and a very short backswing. Was not a natural player, actually went from 130-140 and quitting several times, to being obsessed with the game, all in same 2 year period from 18-20. My first trip to see my family after moving away at 24, Dad and I played a week straight, last round I almost holed out for 73, settled for 76. Look back at this thread from late June- August, and you will see time has not been kind to me……Not playing for years, 100 pound weight gain, no flexibility……Natural strength cannot bail me out now, Father Time is undefeated, as Sylvester Stallone said in “Creed” . Very big blow to the ego to lose 75+ yards on my drive, the short game is where you score and actually mine is not awful, but to really score it helps to be hitting approaches with SW, not 5 woods! 

No substitute for being young & fit, and playing or hitting balls almost very day. But also no need to hire world class instruction, these days you can just video your swing and get great feedback that way. But unless I come into a pile of cash, I will be content just playing a quick 9 or 18 before sunset, still love the game but not enough to spend $1000’s a year like I used to. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Golfingboy said:

@AussieBob I was joking about 320. Was a very long hitter up until the age of 32 or so, funny enough even with the “old equipment” like Tiger and a very short backswing. Was not a natural player, actually went from 130-140 and quitting several times, to being obsessed with the game, all in same 2 year period from 18-20. My first trip to see my family after moving away at 24, Dad and I played a week straight, last round I almost holed out for 73, settled for 76. Look back at this thread from late June- August, and you will see time has not been kind to me……Not playing for years, 100 pound weight gain, no flexibility……Natural strength cannot bail me out now, Father Time is undefeated, as Sylvester Stallone said in “Creed” . Very big blow to the ego to lose 75+ yards on my drive, the short game is where you score and actually mine is not awful, but to really score it helps to be hitting approaches with SW, not 5 woods! 
No substitute for being young & fit, and playing or hitting balls almost very day. But also no need to hire world class instruction, these days you can just video your swing and get great feedback that way. But unless I come into a pile of cash, I will be content just playing a quick 9 or 18 before sunset, still love the game but not enough to spend $1000’s a year like I used to. 

Yeh - I hear you. When someone once talked to me about taking up golf, I said 'dont - buy a boat - it's much cheaper'.

And you are right about all the khrapp the 'golf industry' tells you about how to play golf and how to hit golf balls and all the new 'better' equipment - it is total and utter rubbish - a scam.  I played a little golf here and there - firstly a lot as a teenager with mates - and then on and off for a long time - mainly pro-ams and corporate golf days.  Never got lessons - what worked, worked. 

As a player I could par or birdie any hole, but also shoot 2 or 3 over on any hole (occasionally worse).  I was great in an ambrose team (won a few events) - but frustrating when playing a comp to be going well and then 'the wheels fall off' for 2-3 holes. In my late 40s I decided to get some lessons - that completely ruined my swing - was totally lost for about a year.  I went back to doing what worked - took a while.  

After I decided to retire, I worked on my house for a while to fix it up and sell it, then go overseas.  Did not play much golf for nearly 2 years - just a few corporate days on invites from mates. Once settled into Chiang Mai I started going to the driving range - great facilities - auto ball feeders etc etc.  Started figuring things out using my cricket coaching experience, and soon realised all that khrapp the industry 'taught' was only valid for young men who want to become a Pro - absolutely nothing to do with the reality of the occasional player who does not hit balls all day every day. As you said - I used the camera and gear - so much better than guessing.  I have got the basics down now, and I know my swing (and what goes wrong), and through that process I also realised the critical importance of the right equipment. The most important component is not the khrapp they 'market' - it is the golf shafts - get that wrong and everything else is irrelevant. Then it is all about the length and lie angle of the clubs. Then it is the golf ball - and why some blokes use the balls that Tiger or Rory play is beyond comprehension - but that is what sells.

Taught the wife how to play during that process - she had never even touched a golf ball in her life, and she hit the first one when in her late 40s. That is a whole other story.

28 minutes ago, AussieBob said:

Yeh - I hear you. When someone once talked to me about taking up golf, I said 'dont - buy a boat - it's much cheaper'.

And you are right about all the khrapp the 'golf industry' tells you about how to play golf and how to hit golf balls and all the new 'better' equipment - it is total and utter rubbish - a scam. Never got lessons - what worked, worked. 

As a player I could par or birdie any hole, but also shoot 2 or 3 over on any hole (occasionally worse). frustrating when playing a comp to be going well and then 'the wheels fall off' for 2-3 holes.   I went back to doing what worked - took a while.  

Did not play much golf for nearly 2 years - Once settled into Chiang Mai I started going to the driving range - great facilities - auto ball feeders etc etc.  Started figuring things out using my cricket coaching experience, and soon realised all that khrapp the industry 'taught' was only valid for young men who want to become a Pro - absolutely nothing to do with the reality of the occasional player who does not hit balls all day every day. As you said - I used the camera .  I have got the basics down now, and I know my swing (and what goes wrong), and through that process I also realised the critical importance of the right equipment. The most important component is the golf shafts - get that wrong and everything else is irrelevant. Then it is all about the length and lie angle of the clubs. Then it is the golf ball - and why some blokes use the balls that Tiger or Rory play is beyond comprehension - but that is what sells.

Taught the wife how to play during that process - she had never even touched a golf ball in her life, and she hit the first one when in her late 40s. That is a whole other story.

A boat ain’t cheaper, but I’d surely have a Corvette for what I’ve dropped on golf. The bad hole is definitely part of my game, a double is OK but when you get a quad after being -1 for 6 holes or so, you ask WHY ME???

When I stayed at the Smith, it was a long walk or short baht bus to the range beside Central Airport. While a round can be more OR less than back home, a tray is SO much less than a bucket back home. It was 30 baht, right? Well in 2009 it was. Calgary even years ago could be $16 for a large, and Montreal is catching up too…..I know when places are a ripoff/cash cow, I never mind paying but when you start nearing a $20 just to smack some used balls…I’d rather play. I find when I do play, especially after a long layoff, 15-20 balls before the 1st hole is invaluable- gets the awful shots out without fatiguing you. I hit 100 once and topped my opening tee ball, smart eh? 

For me, the one thing I neglect is tempo. I’m technical, if I see a video I can correct it by saying “OK keep my elbow near my ribs, left arm straight” etc, but I never focus on a slow backswing. Except on a partial wedge, maybe. 

Equipment- I never get around to changing my grips. They’re due now, but I’m also due for a new iron set. As you said, there’s a lot of marketing BS, Rick Shiels was hitting a TM 5-iron 235 in England……it’s simple, they’ve lowered lofts to pump up our egos! Shafts, well I know mine are too stiff, everything was bought 2005-2007 when I was much fitter and playing pretty much my best golf. The irons just don’t carry far at all anymore.

The ball I have to disagree with you. For 20 years, ProV1 has been the best, and there’s good reason for it. But at $70 for a dozen, I rarely play them. Look over my posts around July, there was one round where I couldn’t believe how much a cheaper ball ran, new wedge, on a flop from rough, over sand. Off the tee, a distance ball is better, and you’re probably fine until you’re short sided. But if you don’t have too many of those shots and leave yourself room to the flag, your scores will be the same, obviously putts are the same, and that’s 40% of shots. 

Bringing the wife can be a rough experience…..let’s leave it at that. My Pinay bought a starter set and did love it the few summers we were together, it’s just hard to play with a total beginner when you take it seriously

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Golfingboy said:

A boat ain’t cheaper, but I’d surely have a Corvette for what I’ve dropped on golf. The bad hole is definitely part of my game, a double is OK but when you get a quad after being -1 for 6 holes or so, you ask WHY ME???
When I stayed at the Smith, it was a long walk or short baht bus to the range beside Central Airport. While a round can be more OR less than back home, a tray is SO much less than a bucket back home. It was 30 baht, right? Well in 2009 it was. Calgary even years ago could be $16 for a large, and Montreal is catching up too…..I know when places are a ripoff/cash cow, I never mind paying but when you start nearing a $20 just to smack some used balls…I’d rather play. I find when I do play, especially after a long layoff, 15-20 balls before the 1st hole is invaluable- gets the awful shots out without fatiguing you. I hit 100 once and topped my opening tee ball, smart eh? 
For me, the one thing I neglect is tempo. I’m technical, if I see a video I can correct it by saying “OK keep my elbow near my ribs, left arm straight” etc, but I never focus on a slow backswing. Except on a partial wedge, maybe. 
Equipment- I never get around to changing my grips. They’re due now, but I’m also due for a new iron set. As you said, there’s a lot of marketing BS, Rick Shiels was hitting a TM 5-iron 235 in England……it’s simple, they’ve lowered lofts to pump up our egos! Shafts, well I know mine are too stiff, everything was bought 2005-2007 when I was much fitter and playing pretty much my best golf. The irons just don’t carry far at all anymore.

The ball I have to disagree with you. For 20 years, ProV1 has been the best, and there’s good reason for it. But at $70 for a dozen, I rarely play them. Look over my posts around July, there was one round where I couldn’t believe how much a cheaper ball ran, new wedge, on a flop from rough, over sand. Off the tee, a distance ball is better, and you’re probably fine until you’re short sided. But if you don’t have too many of those shots and leave yourself room to the flag, your scores will be the same, obviously putts are the same, and that’s 40% of shots. 
Bringing the wife can be a rough experience…..let’s leave it at that. My Pinay bought a starter set and did love it the few summers we were together, it’s just hard to play with a total beginner when you take it seriously

I hear you about the loft on the irons - nowadays a 9 iron is more an 8 or a 7 in loft. So many other 'tricks' they employ these days to con blokes out of their money - all about feeding their egos.

I will push back on the balls - I have had the time (and the money) to play with them all. Years ago I learned what changed that made the pros hit it so far.  Before the serious strength techniques started, it was the ball - the ProV being the start of it all.  Certainly the new graphite shafts on drivers and long woods made a difference, but the balls changed it all a lot. If you give a Pro one of the old ballata balls - they are stuffed.  The ProV started it when they took a distance ball and gave it a soft urethane cover for short shots - everything changed. Power became King - control and skill became more and more irrelevent - now look at how Bryson won the US Open.  The US colleges all demand 300 yards drives - any less and you aint in the program.  Having said that - I used to play ProV too - but I no longer have the speed to really get it out there and the new 'middle ground' balls work wonders.  They are high quality balls with urethane covers but with lower compression - still deliver the driving distances of the big boys - but the big thing is the iron distances - 10-15 yards difference for me - and a higher flight. Because of their success even Titleist has brought one out - Tour Speed - great ball.  Taylormade Tour Response is great too.  Callaway too - but they are usually too soft - same for Srixons. The Bridgestones are too hard.  Cheaper too. But what works and doesnt work for me - aint same for all.

Your swing sounds like Rahms - if that is the vase then definitley a more flexible shaft would be better. But without proper testing the issue is not just lag - it is control, twist and height. Suggest you take the driver to a place and ask to try different shafts - if they do it right it will make a huge difference. But - most places have the gear and set up - but they only do it for selling the whole club, and even then they just stick with the standard brand's shafts and variations.  Made to measure is the way to go - but most places are scams - they talk khrapp and just try to sell you a new XYZ brand driver.  This is a place that does it right :  

1 hour ago, Golfingboy said:

I did not take the wife on a golf course for almost a year.  All her lessons were at the range prior to me playing. When she was ready I then putt on all the greens - never played a putt for over a month.  Then I let her hit my driver off the tee - I then finished the hole from wherever it went - but she still putted.  Then it was more and more shared until she was ready to play all by herself.  Learning on a golf course is not the way to do it at all. All cricket coaching batting is done in the nets - and I learned that most Korean LPGA girls spend years on the range learning, before they 'earn' the right to play on a course.  I followed the same process - people are amazed how good she is, given she has not played for long. 

Sounds like maybe we did all that at the same driving range in Chiang Mai - Stardome. 

• Thumbs Up 1

@AussieBob Our discussion reminds me of Greg Norman. Not his biggest fan, but he was the best overall driver of the ball, ever, and I heard once forgiveness improved, he didn’t have the advantage he once had. I’m not saying the top guys today wouldn’t still be there if they played 1995 tech, but it’s food for thought. Harrington told Feherty the groove change really did him in, remember the 3 majors in 2 years? About Bryson at the US Open, let’s not forget he putted lights out and was fairly accurate that’s week. I learned because of his one-length shafts, he could also reach the green from 190-200 with a wedge, where as most guys pitch out. He’s not winning every week I’m happy to see, I reallly thought he’d dominate Augusta, didn’t happen

The balls I really meant that to play under 80 or so, the feel shots require it. But otherwise why bother with ProV1? I bought some Velocity, as expected great  distance but little spin. 40% cheaper though. 
Jon Rahm, ha! He can’t go back too far, but rips through it. That’s me alright.

I went to try some drivers this summer, but it never worked out. Salesmen not helpful, too close to closing time, I’m a big boy so was sweating too much, wasn’t hitting them well……never had a meaningful session. But for sure with the options they have, I could see myself gaining 30 yards, you have to make some tweaks and put the ego away

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, AussieBob said:

Sounds like maybe we did all that at the same driving range in Chiang Mai - Stardome. 

Yes, sounds right! I was assuming you know the Smith Residence, south of the moat, Christ it was a gossip factory, but clean and 7k a month short term…..when the baht was 30-32, I mean could life get any cheaper? Funny thing was, I only went to the Wualai market once in 6 months with my lady, and I lived right there. Ah now I’m reminiscing again…..good times, even without Pattaya’s nightlife. As I said, at 33 with a 1500B mobile, the bars were not necessary. 

But can you believe this? My first trip the year before, 22 days, all in Patts except the night I landed. It was 2008, and Canadian firms were still anal about locking your phone to only their network. I took mine to a store, great guy spent while with me but couldn’t unlock it. I was there Nov-Dec during the airport protests, I did get THOSE alerts for free though! 

God, was an awesome time, but could you imagine being without a phone in Thailand , in this day and age? Unthinkable 

Edited by Golfingboy
  • Thumbs Up 1

19 hours ago, Golfingboy said:

Yes, sounds right! I was assuming you know the Smith Residence, south of the moat, Christ it was a gossip factory, but clean and 7k a month short term…..when the baht was 30-32, I mean could life get any cheaper? Funny thing was, I only went to the Wualai market once in 6 months with my lady, and I lived right there. Ah now I’m reminiscing again…..good times, even without Pattaya’s nightlife. As I said, at 33 with a 1500B mobile, the bars were not necessary. 
But can you believe this? My first trip the year before, 22 days, all in Patts except the night I landed. It was 2008, and Canadian firms were still anal about locking your phone to only their network. I took mine to a store, great guy spent while with me but couldn’t unlock it. I was there Nov-Dec during the airport protests, I did get THOSE alerts for free though! 
God, was an awesome time, but could you imagine being without a phone in Thailand , in this day and age? Unthinkable 

My first few 'playtime' visits to Thailand were in Bangkok only - it was me and a few fellow divorced mates in our early 50s. Never lived in Chiang Mai until after I retired and moved to Thailand and after I found the right one. Knew a few Aussies that did live there - so thought we can give it a try. Aside from the smoke season, it was great - decided to stay and we rented a house in Siwalee something on canal road in Mae Hia for years.  We visited Pattaya a few times - but of course I never went there for the girls - only when I was in Bangkok years before.

• Great Info 1

1 minute ago, AussieBob said:

My first few 'playtime' visits to Thailand were in Bangkok only - it was me and a few fellow divorced mates in our early 50s. Never lived in Chiang Mai until after I retired and moved to Thailand and after I found the right one. Knew a few Aussies that did live there - so thought we can give it a try. Aside from the smoke season, it was great - decided to stay and we rented a house in Siwalee something on canal road in Mae Hia for years.  We visited Pattaya a few times - but of course I never went there for the girls - only when I was in Bangkok years before.

Pattaya/Chonburi is the one spot where a man could tell everyone he went for the golf, be truthful, and have no one believe him. It has quite a few tracks in an hour’s radius or less. 

Speaking of which, the ladies are teeing off at Siam

10 minutes ago, Golfingboy said:

Pattaya/Chonburi is the one spot where a man could tell everyone he went for the golf, be truthful, and have no one believe him. It has quite a few tracks in an hour’s radius or less. 

Speaking of which, the ladies are teeing off at Siam

Yes - we will be watching the LPGA shortly.  We went there a few times to watch the LPGA at the Siam Country Club - used to get free entry tickets through a mate of a mate.  One of the few times I would ride a bike (scooter) in Thailand - rented one for the 4 days and we would ride to the course from the hotel about 4ks away and park the scooter for free.  Way cheaper and much more convenient than any other means of transport to get into the course.  Especially when leaving when all the cars and baht vans are stuck - hope it is still OK to do next time we visit.

We are looking around Chonburi for the next time we live there - membership of Siam is an option - but there are far better values on offer not too far away.  Not like any of the golf courses are bad - the ones we have visited so far are all good - especially compared to the khrapp on offer around here. 

• Thumbs Up 1

@AussieBobTraffic can be bad at golf events, yes. I got a ticket last minute to the 2008 match play final in Tucson, Woods vs Cink. Caught maybe 10 holes, as my bartender friend gave it to me late, and you had to park in the desert 5 miles away and catch a bus to the gate. They had already finished 18 of 36, Woods won 8&7. Was kind of surreal standing so close to Tiger, I mean you saw him on TV all the time, and then….there he was. 

I played a total of 3 rounds around Pattaya, it’s fun. I found the uglier caddies did a better job, especially green reading. But the stories I’ve heard since don’t inspire much confidence. Prices always going up and being stuck behind Asian tourists in groups of 5 or 6, that’s not good. I was sad to see the guesthouse owner from Buakhao who brought me, is now in a wheelchair

Edited by Golfingboy
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Golfingboy said:

@AussieBobTraffic can be bad at golf events, yes. I got a ticket last minute to the 2008 match play final in Tucson, Woods vs Cink. Caught maybe 10 holes, as my bartender friend gave it to me late, and you had to park in the desert 5 miles away and catch a bus to the gate. They had already finished 18 of 36, Woods won 8&7. Was kind of surreal standing so close to Tiger, I mean you saw him on TV all the time, and then….there he was. 
I played a total of 3 rounds around Pattaya, it’s fun. I found the uglier caddies did a better job, especially green reading. But the stories I’ve heard since don’t inspire much confidence. Prices always going up and being stuck behind Asian tourists in groups of 5 or 6, that’s not good. I was sad to see the guesthouse owner from Buakhao who brought me, is now in a wheelchair

Yep - the better looking they are - the less they know golf usually. One of the courses we played at  had 'premium' caddies for an extra fee - better looking with much shorter dresses 🙂  What we did was get to know a 'senior' caddie, and we booked her all the time.  She would organise our tee-offs - including at other golf courses in Chiang Mai - she knew them all.  She also make sure we were not ever behind 'those' Asian groups you mentioned - but if we ever caught any of them, she would signal to the caddies in front to let us play through.  Funny story:   one day the wife put a huge bag of empty plastic water bottles in the car at home, I assumed she was putting them somewhere  - when we got there she handed them to the caddie - and we did that every few weeks.  Apparently she also made a few baht by collecting used water bottles - Thais are always finding ways to make money.

There is nothing like being there and up close with the players - only at golf can you get so close. Maybe basketball for the elite seats/boxes, but in golf the average joes are right there and the elites are in the corporate boxes well away.  Greg Norman was like that - the aura was amazing - he was something special that is for sure.  And let me tell you, the two loveliest girls on the LPGA are Ingee Chun and Brooke Henderson - they are just wonderful - and they can play golf unbelievably well.  For any blokes who have never seen the LPGA girls up close - go and take a look. Not only are they good looking, they can hit the ball a mile - much further than most non-Pro level blokes. There are now many girls who can hit it over 300 yards now - and they all have great short games - and the world greatest ever putter is a girl (Inbee Park). Plus - the crowds are much smaller - easy to get around and a far more enjoyable time. 

Edited by AussieBob

Oh my, huge struggles in the cooler Florida weather today at TPC, so many water balls on 17th hole. Tommy Fleetwood was one of the lucky ones to finish his whole 18 Thursday by noon, and has to wait until late Saturday to hit another shot

Definitely a Monday finish, if not Tuesday. They are actually forecasting -2C tonight for Jacksonville…..that’s crazy cold and will further delay play for frost I’m sure 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, AussieBob said:

LPGA in Thailand exact opposite to PGA - very hot.  Last day today - final group tees off at 10am local time.  

21 under is leading….course can’t be playing too tough, but hey these gals are very good. 🇨🇦 Brooke is in the hunt, but even just 3 back I’m thinking she needs a 62-63. Any bogey is such a killer 

13 minutes ago, Golfingboy said:

21 under is leading….course can’t be playing too tough, but hey these gals are very good. 🇨🇦 Brooke is in the hunt, but even just 3 back I’m thinking she needs a 62-63. Any bogey is such a killer 

Course has been easier this year - the greens are still soft after lots of rain. But if their drives go wide then the rough can be a big penalty - the long hitters have not done well this year - driver mistakes are punished.  If Brooke (and Minjee) keep it on the fairways, they have a chance if their putters are hot. The coverage starts soon here on Foxtel (via the IPTV) - should be a great day.  Anyone within 5 shots can win it I reckon/hope - if so, then 10 are in it with a chance.  But as always, it comes down to the last group on hole 15 - only then can you truly say who can win it. 

• Thumbs Up 1

16 minutes ago, AussieBob said:

Course has been easier this year - the greens are still soft after lots of rain. But if their drives go wide then the rough can be a big penalty - the long hitters have not done well this year - driver mistakes are punished.  If Brooke (and Minjee) keep it on the fairways, they have a chance if their putters are hot. The coverage starts soon here on Foxtel (via the IPTV) - should be a great day.  Anyone within 5 shots can win it I reckon/hope - if so, then 10 are in it with a chance.  But as always, it comes down to the last group on hole 15 - only then can you truly say who can win it. 

Yup, judging by those who’ve already teed off, another shootout is brewing…….

536D139A-EF02-46AB-8899-2D0A761C9465.jpeg