Golf

Archie43

2 minutes ago, Golfingboy said:

Is Scottie that bad around the greens ? I know Bryson in that epic back & forth with Cantlay I think, maybe the BMW, lost all faith in his chipping on the weekend, putting from 20 yards off a few times. That was obvious 

It is really the skill that enables a medium hitter these days to compete. The guy who does it better than anyone IMO is Reed. I hate the prick like no other, but it’s disturbing how many times I’ve seen him escape from 35 yards away, deep rough, and not only one putt, but hole the fecker too! 
Those are shots that we amateurs, and even many pros(Nicklaus admitted to it) , just don’t practice nearly enough…..it’s boring

The 'problem' with being able to hit it 400 yards, is that it means you have much easier shots to the greens - even if in the rough.  But when the power game is 'off' those guys are rubbish - not even shown on TV - because they cant recover - they dont have the skills. That is why Rory is usually in contention when the power is 'off' - his short games is as good as any - but when his putting is not so good, then he struggles to win - but often makes the top 10-20. 

I am sure Reed practices those shots - he is definitely one of the best at it of all time - Seve would be happy to accept some of his recoveries - and Reed is usually also a good putter. I see Reed as a bit of an asshat too - but I somewhat 'forgive' him for his demeaner because he is such a good skill player - which is why he won the Masters. There is also something there about his parents - he apparently has not even spoken to them in years - something happened. 

My issue with length and power is best shown by one player.  Jordan Speith.  As soon as his putting started to become normal, he fell out of contention.  Unlike his mate Justin, he was unable to put more power into his drives, and he has lost ground for many years.  He will occasionally appear up there on leaderboards, but until he can hit it 350+ yards on the fairways, he aint gonna be the same dominant player ever again.

Actually it was Nick Faldo.  In 1996 he destroyed Norman's heart (and us Aussies) to win the Masters. But a year later in 1997 on holes like the 15th he hits driver and a 3 iron to the Par 5 green - but Tiger hits a driver and a 9 iron.  Tiger changed golf that weekend and Faldo's career was over.  It was not just that Tiger hit it much further than everyone else, it was that he kept it in play when he hit it a long way. Plus he had a great short game, could putt, and had an extremely strong mind and was totally focussed on winning every time he played.  Now all the boys hit it a mile and usually keep it in play.  DJ hit a drive 422 yards in the Dell Matchplay - Scotties longest was 404 yards - when they do that and keep it in play, how can anyone who is 'normal' beat them. 

Change the golf clubs and the balls that Pros are allowed to us in competition, and skill will come back into it. Leave the long low spinning balls and equipment legal for us Amateurs - that is what the market wants - so do it.  But dont let the Pros destroy the game though gym work - it is too easy for the big athletes (linebackers) to hit the ball hard and straight.  Sheite - if I could hit it 400 yards on the fairway and 160 yards with a PW when I was 35 (when the tour average was 260/270 yards), then I could have won PGA events - not as many as Tiger did - but probably one or two. 

• Thumbs Up 1

@AussieBob Reed is an arse, sorry but I dare say it’s not even up for interpretation. We all have our favourites and “others”, but never have I seen a PGA golfer so universally hated by peers and fans alike. The Top 5 comment in 2014 was his undoing IMO, funny enough his best ever ranking was 6th! 

About Rory, yes when he’s on in most facets he wins by 8, but a good short  game? Come on Bob, I don’t think I’ve seen a worse player inside 125 yards that has a similar resume. Wedges from the fairway to 35 feet…. you and me can do that too. But I love the guy…..he’s my Avatar here FFS

You remember how Phil talked about Tiger using inferior clubs, namely steel shaft in his driver? When I was 22 or so and in my best shape, I was still able to touch 300 yards with a steel Invex, the driver Daly used in the ‘95 Open. No way I’d use one today, hell I don’t think steel is an option for anything more than 4-iron now! 1999 I crossed the border to New York for a round, paid top $ in USD for a 7.5 Big Bertha……now that was a club. Still have it, but don’t think it would be prudent to try it, loft, smaller head, etc…

Not saying steel shafts go farther, but back then if you had the speed;strength, they were awesome and probably didn’t cost too many yards. But now you got me thinking……my 23 year old body AND spine, a dedicated flexibility program, today’s balls/drivers, oh and a few video lessons…don’t mean to sound like Reed, but I would have needed binoculars to see my tee balls

Oh well, season should be starting soon, albeit in 5 degree weather….200 yard bombs, here I come! 

6 minutes ago, Golfingboy said:

@AussieBob Reed is an arse, sorry but I dare say it’s not even up for interpretation. We all have our favourites and “others”, but never have I seen a PGA golfer so universally hated by peers and fans alike. The Top 5 comment in 2014 was his undoing IMO, funny enough his best ever ranking was 6th! 
About Rory, yes when he’s on in most facets he wins by 8, but a good short  game? Come on Bob, I don’t think I’ve seen a worse player inside 125 yards that has a similar resume. Wedges from the fairway to 35 feet…. you and me can do that too. But I love the guy…..he’s my Avatar here FFS
You remember how Phil talked about Tiger using inferior clubs, namely steel shaft in his driver? When I was 22 or so and in my best shape, I was still able to touch 300 yards with a steel Invex, the driver Daly used in the ‘95 Open. No way I’d use one today, hell I don’t think steel is an option for anything more than 4-iron now! 1999 I crossed the border to New York for a round, paid top $ in USD for a 7.5 Big Bertha……now that was a club. Still have it, but don’t think it would be prudent to try it, loft, smaller head, etc…

Not saying steel shafts go farther, but back then if you had the speed;strength, they were awesome and probably didn’t cost too many yards. But now you got me thinking……my 23 year old body AND spine, a dedicated flexibility program, today’s balls/drivers, oh and a few video lessons…don’t mean to sound like Reed, but I would have needed binoculars to see my tee balls

Oh well, season should be starting soon, albeit in 5 degree weather….200 yard bombs, here I come! 

Not saying Reed aint an arse - of course he is - but at least he can play golf.  I have no time for nice guys who are only there because they could hit it a long way when younger, so they got all the training and coaching and gear etc etc. Rory would not make it in the juniors or college these days - that is the problem.

I mean Rory being able to get up and down when in trouble around the green.  Since he decided to stop hitting wedges 160 yards into orbit and use lower lofts and hit it easy - his shots top greens has improved a lot. But they are not great - but they are so much better. But his ups and downs are right up there.  

Some years ago I was playing a social round with some mates and one bloke had a new driver and was using the 'new' ProV ball.  On one par4 where if I hit a good one with draw it was always a worry I would go in a bunker, he left me use his club and one of his old ProV balls.  I sailed it right over that bunker.  But at about $400 for the driver and $6 each for those balls, there was no way I was going to go that way.  Now they are all so much cheaper relatively - the drivers are more but the balls are much cheaper- and I dont usually lose a driver. 

Example of the crap being done in golf about the physical issues and why they are lying about it. 

This is the official picture:

Dell Final.jpg

This is the reality:

Dell Final 2.jpg

Kisner is about 5' 9" and weighs about 70kgs.

Scheffler is 6' 3" and weighs about 95kgs.

Years ago I coached a very good young cricketer - he eventually played senior level adult cricket.  When he was 15 he was 6' 2" and weighed 102 kgs - fast bowler - could not bat for sheite but didnt need to - he played at the Nationals for years.  Golf is now being dominated by these guys at the youth level - which is where they are 'identified' these days in all professional sports - because being able to chip and putt is irrelevant - cant hit it 300+ at 15 and you aint in the program. 

• Thumbs Up 1

@AussieBobIt sounds like what the Russians and Bulgarians would do in the 70’s…..one look at an 8 year old and they’d decide “he’s a weightlifter, you’re going to be a long-distance runner” . Natural selection

It’s a shame if colleges today immediately discount a 17 year old who only drives it 275…..but I believe you. It’s the where the game is at. But honestly as I posted here last June-July, I think I’ve never had so much fun as I did last summer because of only hitting it 220 or so. I accepted I’m getting older and stiffer, but bogeys are still easy to come by and even managed a 41 for 9 holes the same month. I used to be ultra competitive and easily irritated, but now I’m at ease with knowing I’ll never shoot 76 again. And I probably play faster than 99% of guys out there, no multiple practice swings, just find my ball and….whack. You lose less of them whe you’re shorter

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Golfingboy said:

@AussieBobIt sounds like what the Russians and Bulgarians would do in the 70’s…..one look at an 8 year old and they’d decide “he’s a weightlifter, you’re going to be a long-distance runner” . Natural selection

It’s a shame if colleges today immediately discount a 17 year old who only drives it 275…..but I believe you. It’s the where the game is at. But honestly as I posted here last June-July, I think I’ve never had so much fun as I did last summer because of only hitting it 220 or so. I accepted I’m getting older and stiffer, but bogeys are still easy to come by and even managed a 41 for 9 holes the same month. I used to be ultra competitive and easily irritated, but now I’m at ease with knowing I’ll never shoot 76 again. And I probably play faster than 99% of guys out there, no multiple practice swings, just find my ball and….whack. You lose less of them whe you’re shorter

Move to Thailand mate - the much warmer weather makes it so much easier on the body and the ball travels farther. I can hit it 240+ in Thailand - but only about 220-230 here - and less in winter.   I am so looking forward to getting back there and playing golf with the wife - much more expensive there when paying 'tourist prices' - but most clubs do offer annual memberships and/or 'locals' promotions.  

• Great Info 1

7 minutes ago, AussieBob said:

Move to Thailand mate - the much warmer weather makes it so much easier on the body and the ball travels farther. I can hit it 240+ in Thailand - but only about 220-230 here - and less in winter.   I am so looking forward to getting back there and playing golf with the wife - much more expensive there when paying 'tourist prices' - but most clubs do offer annual memberships and/or 'locals' promotions.  

Never found the ball to go that far in Thailand. I was still playing semi-regular in 2009, when I stayed 8 months, but only got 2 rounds in the whole time, with Dave from Canterbury Tales. I remember 270 or so was my best, but after a downpour so all carry, and then couldn’t reach a par 5 that was 495 with hybrid- caddie said take 3 wood……she was right! 

Funny thing was, I don’t know where I wasted shots, but those 2 rounds were 95-99, yet the year before paying 600 baht for shite rental clubs from the 1980’s at Bangpra, I managed a 90…..go figure! Today I would take a 95 after a layoff, but back then I had just spent 6 months in Arizona and had managed to break 80 often. Maybe what I’m saying is…..Thailand golf can be tricky???

• Thumbs Up 1

21 hours ago, Golfingboy said:

Never found the ball to go that far in Thailand. I was still playing semi-regular in 2009, when I stayed 8 months, but only got 2 rounds in the whole time, with Dave from Canterbury Tales. I remember 270 or so was my best, but after a downpour so all carry, and then couldn’t reach a par 5 that was 495 with hybrid- caddie said take 3 wood……she was right! 
Funny thing was, I don’t know where I wasted shots, but those 2 rounds were 95-99, yet the year before paying 600 baht for shite rental clubs from the 1980’s at Bangpra, I managed a 90…..go figure! Today I would take a 95 after a layoff, but back then I had just spent 6 months in Arizona and had managed to break 80 often. Maybe what I’m saying is…..Thailand golf can be tricky???

There are only 2 ways to play 'real' golf in Thailand.  Like a Pro or like a Tourist/Local (hit and giggle).  All the golf courses, save for the local Thai hacked out courses, are designed by very good professional golf course designers.   When you play that sort of course, you have to figure out each and every hole and decide your Plan A, B, C.  Or hit and giggle.

Years ago I played with a Pro in the Senior Masters at the Royal Pines Golf Club.  I have played with a lot in Pro Ams over the years - but that one bloke actually taught me how to play golf.  Each team was 2 Pros and 2 Ams - own individual and team scores kept every hole (not Pro score and team Ambrose score like most). The Pro I was teamed with never said how to hit a ball - he taught me how to play golf.  The event was over 3 days and on days 1 and 2 we all played in the Pro-Am together, and on day 3 the Pros played the last round without the Ams.  After day 1 the Pro was doing well, but our team was only middle of the pack - because of me.  Over dinner the subject of how badly I was scoring came up, and the Pro said I was playing the holes wrong - he did not talk about hitting bad shots at all.  On day 2 before each of the first few holes he 'explained' how each hole was designed (from the tees) - what the course designer was doing - and why that was there, and why that was over there.  We had the time because as every Am had to finish each hole it took a long time. Until then I had never looked at a golf hole that way - I had absolutely no idea.  He told me how to play each hole, given my capabilities, and then after the first 9 he said he would now focus on his own game and let me keep going alone - with the occasional 'be careful of that', and 'hit it over there'. I ended up coming 2nd in the Ams single event and we won the Am team event - he kept all the ProV1 golf balls with my thanks. 

One example - 200 yards from a green.  He could make the green 90% of the time, but I was at best 50/50, but when I missed I was in the sheite - he was in the bunker. So I learned to hit 120-130 with 9 iron and chip close with wedge - 90% of the time I was on the green and never in the sheite - and I made a few of the birdie/par putts.  Only if I hit a great drive on the fairway would I go for a green - and then only if it was less than 160/170 yards away.  He came 2nd in the Pro event - I walked around with him on Sunday.  Wow!!  That day he was 'focussed'.  I learned what it means to play serious professional golf that day. I was watching him up close, and just by being there I learned how a Pro plays the game that day.  I understood what he was doing, and why he was about to play a shot. I stayed out of his head and we never spoke until afterwards.  Just the occasional knowing smile exchanged.  It was the best day I ever had on a golf course (dont tell the wife I said that). 

3 hours ago, Golfingboy said:

Tiger is in Augusta with his son, will play a practice round to gauge  whether or not he will tee it up. Not his biggest fan, but I really hope he plays, I mean he almost had a foot amputated 

I hope he only plays the Par3 event. If he plays the full event, it could be a serious embarrassment.  I know you should never doubt a champion, and he was come back before, but surely even he cant do it this time.

15 minutes ago, AussieBob said:

I hope he only plays the Par3 event. If he plays the full event, it could be a serious embarrassment.  I know you should never doubt a champion, and he was come back before, but surely even he cant do it this time.

You really think the hills will fatigue him that much? It’s very possible. I think he can play the first 36, maybe even make the cut, but golf is not fun at any level when you’re huffing and puffing. The dozen or so times I played last summer, was very proud I never took a cart, but at 315 pounds or so, the one mountainous track I played could have killed me. All it takes is less than a wedge distance up to the green at a 10 degree slope……and boom you’re screwed for the rest of the day. Now Tiger is over 100 pounds lighter, but that ankle will never be the same, either

Masters.com has him in the field now

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Golfingboy said:

You really think the hills will fatigue him that much? It’s very possible. I think he can play the first 36, maybe even make the cut, but golf is not fun at any level when you’re huffing and puffing. The dozen or so times I played last summer, was very proud I never took a cart, but at 315 pounds or so, the one mountainous track I played could have killed me. All it takes is less than a wedge distance up to the green at a 10 degree slope……and boom you’re screwed for the rest of the day. Now Tiger is over 100 pounds lighter, but that ankle will never be the same, either

Masters.com has him in the field now

I think Augusta and the industry want him in the field, but as Tiger himself learned in the past, to be competitive at that level takes a lot of physical endurance over 36 holes.  Augusta is an 'easier' course as such, because the power advantage is not as required as is a short game there.  But hitting all those power shots, plus the occasional harder shot from the rough, takes a  lot of fitness and strength.  The walking would be fine - you and I both can walk that course - but hitting golf balls as powerfully as they have to do these days - not so easy. Tiger will not be happy to play 2 rounds only taking it easy like Jack and others when they were 70+  - he wants to be competitive - he is only 46.  

• Thumbs Up 1

33 minutes ago, AussieBob said:

I think Augusta and the industry want him in the field, but as Tiger himself learned in the past, to be competitive at that level takes a lot of physical endurance over 36 holes.  Augusta is an 'easier' course as such, because the power advantage is not as required as is a short game there.  But hitting all those power shots, plus the occasional harder shot from the rough, takes a  lot of fitness and strength.  The walking would be fine - you and I both can walk that course - but hitting golf balls as powerfully as they have to do these days - not so easy. Tiger will not be happy to play 2 rounds only taking it easy like Jack and others when they were 70+  - he wants to be competitive - he is only 46.  

One thing is for sure…..I hope some overzealous security guy doesn’t step on that injured ankle again……

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, galenkia said:

Tiger confirms he's in.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/golf/60995999

Tee time 3.34pm UK time.

I am surprised - but he has said he will confirm after playing 9 holes on Wednesday (weather permitting).  Making a comeback at the Masters with no warm up event, after almost losing a leg - only Tiger could or would do that.