Golf

Archie43

7 hours ago, galenkia said:

Been watching the last 3/4 holes. Between Burns and Riley. Riley got a tough putt,no, bottle went.

Both level on 17 under so playoffs.

Teeing off.

Was a good tournament, my boy was a combined 1 under for the weekend…..not so bad, but the youngsters are too good today. Have to make many birdies AND limit the bogeys. For Riley to make that triple and still be in a playoff, I think he can handle pressure. Seen many guys in his position for the first time…..shoot 44 on back nine and finish in 20th place

• Like 2

4 hours ago, galenkia said:

Crowds in the United States have been getting away with shit for years and need sorting out.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/golf/60848332

I was discussing that a few weeks ago with @AussieBob. I think it’s part of an overall trend especially with the younger generation. Today it is all me, me, me…..it astounds me what people think is acceptable behaviour. Reminds me of my time driving cab, people cut you off, almost crash into you, you have the “audacity”to use your horn, and they threaten you or give the middle finger. I would say I had dozens of “close calls” over the last decade that almost got physical, and at 6”1, 300+ trust me I wasn’t  afraid. Always walked away, didn’t want a criminal record, but it’s astounding how awful people’s tempers can be. The rare time when I was in the wrong, I would always signal an apology, not berate the other driver….

In my eyes, if I drift into your lane and almost cause an accident, I say thank you for honking, you prevented a collision & my insurance rising…..Unfortunately people are so self centred, this just doesn’t make sense to them. Same with a sporting event or even playing golf….attitude seems to be “hey I paid $100 to use these facilities, I’ll be rude if I want, even if I ruin the property a bit”

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Golfingboy said:

I was discussing that a few weeks ago with @AussieBob. I think it’s part of an overall trend especially with the younger generation. Today it is all me, me, me…..it astounds me what people think is acceptable behaviour. Reminds me of my time driving cab, people cut you off, almost crash into you, you have the “audacity”to use your horn, and they threaten you or give the middle finger. I would say I had dozens of “close calls” over the last decade that almost got physical, and at 6”1, 300+ trust me I wasn’t  afraid. Always walked away, didn’t want a criminal record, but it’s astounding how awful people’s tempers can be. The rare time when I was in the wrong, I would always signal an apology, not berate the other driver….

In my eyes, if I drift into your lane and almost cause an accident, I say thank you for honking, you prevented a collision & my insurance rising…..Unfortunately people are so self centred, this just doesn’t make sense to them. Same with a sporting event or even playing golf….attitude seems to be “hey I paid $100 to use these facilities, I’ll be rude if I want, even if I ruin the property a bit”

Respect for others seems to be lacking in a lot of people these days. No matter what situation. Sad, but unfortunately true. And cricket crowds are the same, both were considered gentlemen sports, now crowds at both golf and cricket are more like a stag night party. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, galenkia said:

Respect for others seems to be lacking in a lot of people these days. No matter what situation. Sad, but unfortunately true. And cricket crowds are the same, both were considered gentlemen sports, now crowds at both golf and cricket are more like a stag night party. 

Ah that’s too bad. I never advocate violence as a means of solving problems, but at the same time, when someone is overtly rude to a polite, quiet person…. I have no sympathy whatsoever if the little shite is knocked out. I don’t get these people that yell and insult others, and never face repercussions. It’s like they know people won’t call their bluff… well in poker, and life, sometimes the bluff gets called

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Golfingboy said:

Ah that’s too bad. I never advocate violence as a means of solving problems, but at the same time, when someone is overtly rude to a polite, quiet person…. I have no sympathy whatsoever if the little shite is knocked out. I don’t get these people that yell and insult others, and never face repercussions. It’s like they know people won’t call their bluff… well in poker, and life, sometimes the bluff gets called

Last summer we introduced a new cricket tournament, The Hundred, specifically designed to attract families as it was the shortest format of the game. Some grounds ended up banning alcohol sales due to the drunken behaviour of a minority of people. They were fighting and scaring families. Cricket crowd behaviour has been deteriorating for years but they have never needed to ban alcohol sales before. 

• Great Info 1

7 minutes ago, galenkia said:

Last summer we introduced a new cricket tournament, The Hundred, specifically designed to attract families as it was the shortest format of the game. Some grounds ended up banning alcohol sales due to the drunken behaviour of a minority of people. They were fighting and scaring families. Cricket crowd behaviour has been deteriorating for years but they have never needed to ban alcohol sales before. 

Exactly, even if I know for a fact that your people  🇬🇧 handle their drink better than over here, there is no doubt that being over served is THE reason for rude behaviour. But you guys still behave better after 12 than most of my neighbours after only 4……

Conners 🇨🇦 just got a free win in Round 1 of the Match Play due to Casey’s back spasms…..poor bastard, first that ball that found the only pitch mark on 20 acres of fairway, now back pain…..oh well, he has millions of £ he can use for therapy 

Edited by Golfingboy
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Golfingboy said:

The Facebook generation on full display.  Bad News - they are getting worse, and more of them every year.  What sort of of f*ckwit yells out 'get in the hole' and all the other inane stupid comments they make. I remember once when attending a football match (NRL) with the brother (invited along), one of his mates was screaming all sorts of foul language awful insulting crap out and was just non-stop. After a while, I said to him "you do realise that they cannot hear you dont you - but I sure can - and so can that older lady there".  He looked at me like I had two heads and said "what's the f*cking problem??"  That is the sort of idiot that now attends the golf - Tiger was not the best thing for golf - he was one of the worst. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Golfingboy said:

Dont buddy.  He and his mates will run to the Police and scream assault - and you will be the one in trouble. 

I love Thailand for many reasons - one of them is the behaviour of the people in public, and the fear of the Police. 

Being scared of the Police was normal when I was a lad. I remember one time we were lined up and given a lecture by a Policeman when we were caught fighting outside a Club - one bloke spoke back rudely and the Policeman knocked him out cold.  Sure, it was wrong - but it was also right.  If people have no respect for the Police and the Law/Order that they enforce, then society will break down and fall apart. There are some people who need to be 'beaten down' to submit. The liberal social warriors have forgotten why we have Police, and why we and they need them. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Saturday’s morning matchups at the match play in Texas. Bland 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 is an amazing story IMO, barely top 300 in the world his whole career, and now at 49, has a chance to be in the Masters in 12 days. I’m pulling for him, but against DJ…good luck. Other than that, go Conners 🇨🇦

4B49804A-3C1B-4126-9C86-73C7831B6542.jpeg

Edited by Golfingboy

2 hours ago, Golfingboy said:

Saturday’s morning matchups at the match play in Texas. Bland 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 is an amazing story IMO, barely top 300 in the world his whole career, and now at 49, has a chance to be in the Masters in 12 days. I’m pulling for him, but against DJ…good luck. Other than that, go Conners 🇨🇦

4B49804A-3C1B-4126-9C86-73C7831B6542.jpeg

Go Scotty - and good luck to Blandy.  

12 hours ago, AussieBob said:

Go Scotty - and good luck to Blandy.  

Poor Scott, loses the last 4 holes and Kisner wins 1UP. Shows anything can happen during match play, never give up. Zalatoris sinks a 15 footer to stay alive against Na, last match of the morning still going. I’m biased, but I like 🇨🇦 Conners’ chances against 🇲🇽 Ancer, who thrashed Morikawa 7&6…..didn’t see that one coming.

Did some rough calculations, and I think Bland 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 will move up the world rankings, but a touch short of the Masters at 52nd or so…..hope I’m wrong and he gets in. For sure had he beaten DJ and made the QF, he was in…..truly a great story

5 hours ago, Golfingboy said:

Poor Scott, loses the last 4 holes and Kisner wins 1UP. Shows anything can happen during match play, never give up. Zalatoris sinks a 15 footer to stay alive against Na, last match of the morning still going. I’m biased, but I like 🇨🇦 Conners’ chances against 🇲🇽 Ancer, who thrashed Morikawa 7&6…..didn’t see that one coming.

Did some rough calculations, and I think Bland 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 will move up the world rankings, but a touch short of the Masters at 52nd or so…..hope I’m wrong and he gets in. For sure had he beaten DJ and made the QF, he was in…..truly a great story

Scotty always was a bit of a 'show pony' and often got flustered when the pressure was applied. He has the same mental problem that Rory has (although a lot more than Rory). What we Aussies call the 'dumb blonde syndrome' - too good looking for his own good - cant take criticism positively and does not learn from mistakes (their own or others).

• Thumbs Up 1

45 minutes ago, AussieBob said:

Scotty always was a bit of a 'show pony' and often got flustered when the pressure was applied. He has the same mental problem that Rory has (although a lot more than Rory). What we Aussies call the 'dumb blonde syndrome' - too good looking for his own good - cant take criticism positively and does not learn from mistakes (their own or others).

Hate to bring it up, but that 2012 Open had to sting, 4 bogeys to close…..although he DID end up winning his only major 9 months later. Anyway, no doubt the same as Rory as the money available today at such a young age has definitely stifled the drive to practice, and crush the opposition like Tiger. Don’t blame them, really. But Scotty just has that simple, powerful, repeatable piston like motion….it’s a shame he didn’t win more big ones. 

Anyway, go Conners 🇨🇦…..it won’t be easy, and whether he finishes 1st or 4th, it’s 2 matches again Sunday

• Like 1

Scheffler easily beats Kisner in the final and becomes the World #1…….had no idea he was that close. No shame for Kisner, a win and two runner-ups in this event…..he loves it in Texas obviously 

Conners 🇨🇦 just wrapped up a huge win against DJ for 3rd place, should put him in the top 30 in the world. Big week for him

Poor Bland 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿…….this close to a Masters appearance, and most probably the only shot he had in his life as he’s nearly 50. I think Augusta should send him a special foreign invite, but they like the field small and I think that category usually goes to up and comers from Asia and Latin America. But I hope he gets to play…….

Edit : he got an exemption to the Valero in Texas that begins Thursday, so top 20 there might do it….

47EBAB13-DD88-4BC9-A4E9-2C88BC49DE6C.jpeg

Edited by Golfingboy
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Golfingboy said:

Scheffler easily beats Kisner in the final and becomes the World #1…….had no idea he was that close. No shame for Kisner, a win and two runner-ups in this event…..he loves it in Texas obviously 

Conners 🇨🇦 just wrapped up a huge win against DJ for 3rd place, should put him in the top 30 in the world. Big week for him

Connors was unlucky in the Semi - that match could have gone either way. 

Unfortunately, Scottie Scheffler is the modern golf player in USA - 6' 3" and a big man that hits it a mile - but cannot chip for sheite.  What bet Scottie doesnt make the cut at the Open? (if the wind blows). And as Bryson found, although most US courses greatly favour the long hitters, the Masters at Augusta does not favour either power or skill - it requires all parts of the game to be on song for 4 days straight. 

2 minutes ago, AussieBob said:

Connors was unlucky in the Semi - that match could have gone either way. 

Unfortunately, Scottie Scheffler is the modern golf player in USA - 6' 3" and a big man that hits it a mile - but cannot chip for sheite.  What bet Scottie doesnt make the cut at the Open? (if the wind blows). And as Bryson found, although most US courses greatly favour the long hitters, the Masters at Augusta does not favour either power or skill - it requires all parts of the game to be on song for 4 days straight. 

Is Scottie that bad around the greens ? I know Bryson in that epic back & forth with Cantlay I think, maybe the BMW, lost all faith in his chipping on the weekend, putting from 20 yards off a few times. That was obvious 

It is really the skill that enables a medium hitter these days to compete. The guy who does it better than anyone IMO is Reed. I hate the prick like no other, but it’s disturbing how many times I’ve seen him escape from 35 yards away, deep rough, and not only one putt, but hole the fecker too! 

Those are shots that we amateurs, and even many pros(Nicklaus admitted to it) , just don’t practice nearly enough…..it’s boring