What are you reading?

Al McReady

2 hours ago, coxyhog said:

If you can join your local library then you can get all sorts of ebooks for free.That's what I've been doing since lockdown started & I haven't paid a penny.

It's a great tip, and I will explore it.

Back in the day when we had holidays I'd always take the Kindle. Going through a paperback phase now, aside from some fancy Belgium beers, a few paperbacks is about all I've bought recently outside of the grocery shopping!

• Like 1

getting back into reading fiction, after a 14 year hiatus!! - when i got divorced, just could not read a novel / fiction story - technical book millions of them - but novels no!!

Reading the event series by David Goleman - but of pulp suspend belief stuff but ok. 

After reading that one I was interested in reading a book about one of Philbys contemparies so I read this. OUR MAN DOWN IN HAVANA, about Graham Greene.

Edited by andycoll
Picture problems.

1 hour ago, andycoll said:

After reading that one I was interested in reading a book about one of Philbys contemparies so I read this. OUR MAN DOWN IN HAVANA, about Graham Greene.

Picture or no picture, an absolute classic. Greene was a wonderful writer.

Edited by Lemondropkid
  • Like 1

On 3/25/2021 at 5:09 AM, andycoll said:

As he seems quite popular on here I went and found one of his books at the library.

download.jpeg

I've read that,a good book,in fact all of the books I've read by Macintyre have been excellent.

Edited by coxyhog
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 3/28/2021 at 8:07 AM, galenkia said:

Brand new Dean Koontz. Used to read everything of his until he went downhill with the Odd Thomas series. Thought I'd give this a go as it's cheap. 

9781542019958.jpg

Yes, the Odd Thomas series was a  bit odd. It had a lot of potential but didn't quite make it. Which was a pity. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Snakewood by Adrian Selby

The Good: A masterclass in character/narrative voice(s), kickass murderous mercenaries, a unique magic-system based on what is essentially magic mushrooms and their effects, and a genre-bending/blending/breaking triumph of style.

The Bad: Now, whilst this wasn’t a ‘bad read’ for me, the style and voice will be polarising. As a reader you will either hit the ground running, or hit the ground and land on your face only to ask through a mouthful of dirt ‘WTF was that?’

The Ugly Truth: Snakewood is a Tarantino-esque masterclass in voice and storytelling, reminiscent of the Malazan Book of the Fallen, Mark Lawrence, and Anna Smith Spark. Colorful as it is characterful, Selby combines the full artist’s palette of ‘black and white’ ‘good vs evil’ fantasy, the moral greys of grimdark, and the full rainbow of literary fiction, to weave a no-holds-barred

https://fantasy-hive.co.uk/2018/11/snakewood-by-adrian-selby-book-review/

Well it sounds intriguing, I'll have go see if my libraries have it.

3 hours ago, karon steve said:

Snakewood by Adrian Selby

The Good: A masterclass in character/narrative voice(s), kickass murderous mercenaries, a unique magic-system based on what is essentially magic mushrooms and their effects, and a genre-bending/blending/breaking triumph of style.

The Bad: Now, whilst this wasn’t a ‘bad read’ for me, the style and voice will be polarising. As a reader you will either hit the ground running, or hit the ground and land on your face only to ask through a mouthful of dirt ‘WTF was that?’

The Ugly Truth: Snakewood is a Tarantino-esque masterclass in voice and storytelling, reminiscent of the Malazan Book of the Fallen, Mark Lawrence, and Anna Smith Spark. Colorful as it is characterful, Selby combines the full artist’s palette of ‘black and white’ ‘good vs evil’ fantasy, the moral greys of grimdark, and the full rainbow of literary fiction, to weave a no-holds-barred

https://fantasy-hive.co.uk/2018/11/snakewood-by-adrian-selby-book-review/