What are you reading?

Al McReady

6 hours ago, coxyhog said:

The first chapter is about the Magna Carta & how it was more about the wealthy barons keeping their riches from King John rather than protecting the masses.

images.jpeg

Loved that book ....when you've finished I'll recommend something similar if not better from around the world.

+ Great opening Chapter in that one above King John and his lost treasure etc ....

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/22/2021 at 12:25 AM, nampla69 said:

Loved that book ....when you've finished I'll recommend something similar if not better from around the world.

+ Great opening Chapter in that one above King John and his lost treasure etc ....

What is your recommendation?

My eldest son is getting together some stuff to send across in the next few weeks.

7 minutes ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

Does it include the accident at the Mull of Kintyre ?

Yes. A very damning chapter regarding the AOC's report to the Board of Enquiry. The authors opinion of the Mk2 Chinook is scathing, he claims that the day before the accident, RAF test pilots refused to fly the Mk2. Since being upgraded, this particular craft had required 2 engine replacements and a serious flying-control fault. 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, bob lt said:

Yes. A very damning chapter regarding the AOC's report to the Board of Enquiry. The authors opinion of the Mk2 Chinook is scathing, he claims that the day before the accident, RAF test pilots refused to fly the Mk2. Since being upgraded, this particular craft had required 2 engine replacements and a serious flying-control fault. 

Thank You!

• Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

What is your recommendation?

My eldest son is getting together some stuff to send across in the next few weeks.

I always used to bring loads of books over for the chaps in Secrets and chocolate and pork pies for the Pretty Bitch and Miserable Old Paul and Young Egg etc ....... oh happy days .....

One on the left Mlitary Blunders you can reread so often ........ both are great. Even threw in a little Buddha statue as I was feeling nostalgic.

If your eldest lives in London happy to give away for free .....terrific way to spend a few hours and so informative.

Great for pub banter afterwards too .. got loads more as you can see...... !!

IMG_1075.jpg

IMG_1074.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, nampla69 said:

I always used to bring loads of books over for the chaps in Secrets and chocolate and pork pies for the Pretty Bitch and Miserable Old Paul and Young Egg etc ....... oh happy days .....

One on the left Mlitary Blunders you can reread so often ........ both are great. Even threw in a little Buddha statue as I was feeling nostalgic.

If your eldest lives in London happy to give away for free .....terrific way to spend a few hours and so informative.

IMG_1075.jpg

IMG_1074.jpg

This is quite a good read 

0EE31C60-9149-4FDF-AEF1-DA52B9B0990E.jpeg

• Like 1

On 9/24/2021 at 8:01 PM, Derek Dangleberries said:

I'm afraid the films have ruined the enjoyment I used to get with Jack Reacher books. The person that I had created in my mind was nothing like the bloke portraying him in films.

I'll never go back.

You left too soon.

A new TV Series on the books is coming with a more suitable actor in the role as Reacher.

https://jack-reacher.fandom.com/wiki/Jack_Reacher_TV_Series

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Ritchson

Edited by Zeb
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/24/2021 at 4:23 PM, nampla69 said:

IMG_1075.jpg

IMG_1074.jpg

Couldn't get on with that Vietnam book- that would be on my list of books you are embarrassed at not finishing.

A forensic, scholarly work in remarkable detail- God help me I found it dull.

Now the Ken Burns series, that was a different matter. Maybe I'm just shallow🤷‍♂️

3 hours ago, Lemondropkid said:

Couldn't get on with that Vietnam book- that would be on my list of books you are embarrassed at not finishing.

A forensic, scholarly work in remarkable detail- God help me I found it dull.

Now the Ken Burns series, that was a different matter. Maybe I'm just shallow🤷‍♂️

It is dull I agree and found it heavy going but just about got there. whereas the Hue one just along from it is quite simply outstanding read. I'll bring it along to some dive in Soho ....

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, maipenrai said:

I've been continuing my Bernie Gunther binge:

If-the-Dead-Rise-Not-Bernie-Gunther-163x250.jpgThe-Lady-from-Zagreb-Bernie-Gunther-162x250.jpg

I just love the way this character has been written into WWII history...

Absolutely love the Bernie Gunther novels, yet to read the last 3- saving them up. "If the Dead rise not" is brilliant.

Recently read a Kerr offshoot part of a mini series on football, with a central character who's a coach (Scott Manson), pretty poor, but on WWII Kerr is exceptional.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 2/15/2021 at 8:32 AM, Lemondropkid said:

Bought between lockdowns, been saving for this when I hit a low point. Felt a bit down today so started on another in the Jackson Lamb series- brilliant, cheered me right up🙂

Screenshot 2021-02-14 at 15.32.29.png

I've just finished listening to the (audio) books in this series that have so far been released and have found them excellent.

Slow Horses    (2010)    

Dead Lions    (2013)   
The List    (2015)    
Real Tigers    (2016)    
Spook Street    (2017)    
London Rules    (2018)    
The Marylebone Drop / The Drop    (2018)    
Joe Country    (2019)    
The Catch    (2020)    
Slough House    (2021)   

51cH6yytUsL._SY346_.jpg

In his best and most ambitious novel yet, Mick Herron, “the le Carré of the future” (BBC), offers an unsparing look at the corrupt web of media, global finance, spycraft, and politics that power our modern world.

“This is a darker, scarier Herron. The gags are still there but the satire's more biting. The privatization of a secret service op and the manipulation of news is relevant and horribly credible.”—Ann Cleeves, author of the Vera Stanhope series

At Slough House—MI5’s London depository for demoted spies—Brexit has taken a toll. The “slow horses” have been pushed further into the cold, Slough House has been erased from official records, and its members are dying in unusual circumstances, at an unusual clip. No wonder Jackson Lamb's crew is feeling paranoid. But are they actually targets?  

With a new populist movement taking hold of London's streets and the old order ensuring that everything's for sale to the highest bidder, the world's a dangerous place for those deemed surplus. Jackson Lamb and the slow horses are in a fight for their lives as they navigate dizzying layers of lies, power, and death.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B088F1B72Y/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=bsio-20&linkCode=as2&camp=217145&creative=399369&creativeASIN=B088F1B72Y

Next one is due for release in May next year - we have to wait to see if one of the main actors dies from the russian poison.

Bad Actors    (2022)    

I'm happy to see appletv have done quite a bit of filming for the coming mini series to be released soon.

https://spywrite.com/2020/04/01/slow-horses-appletv-timeline-and-breaking-news/

Slough House itself in the TV series -

Slow-Horses-filming.jpg?resize=1024,768&

I recommend the books.

Edited by Zeb
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have just finished 'reading' BABY-LOVE a GO-GO ( eBook 1 )..An absolutely Wonderful insight to what really went on behind the scenes in PATTAYA (Thailand's Red Light Area) near Walking Street -  Funny - Saucy - Raunchy - Unbelievable. It captures some AMAZING times we all had and saw in the Good Old Days.  Can't wait for eBook 2 !!!

BABY Go-Go 1 AMAZON BOOK COVER.jpg