What are you reading?

Al McReady

The latest in the Jacqueline "Jack" Daniels series. About half way through the book and my early take is Konrath is injecting a bit too much of his political leanings in this book. Most of his politics I agree with, but IMHO he should leave it for his non-fiction writings. A bit too many references to the pandemic as well; some add to the story line, other references not so much so.

41ZbmFfYo9L.jpg

I've almost finished the first book in Conn's 'Wars of the Roses' series, and it's a great read. I've always been hopeless at English history as everyone of importance seems to be called Henry or Edward or Richard, and remembering which of them is which is usually beyond my attention span. As usual, Conn makes it all clear and very interesting, and as you get involved in their lives in the books, it makes it easy to remember who's who.

conn-iggulden-war-of-the-roses.jpg

Peter Jukes - Beyond Contempt

H99iIaB.jpg

The Inside Story of the Phone Hacking Trial

YOU KNOW ALL ABOUT IT, RIGHT ?

You know all about the phone hacking trial, don't you? Rebekah Brooks was acquitted and Andy Coulson went to jail. But why?

Why was Brooks, the public face of the phone hacking scandal, whom many believed must have known about bribery and hacking, found not guilty on all charges?

• Why did Coulson's expensive defence not impress reporters?

• What impact did Rupert Murdoch’s millons have on the trial?

• And why did the jurors reach the decisions they did?

Blow by blow: Crown v Rebekah Brooks & Others
Jukes starts at the start. October 2013 and reporters are packing London’s Old Bailey for the start of an epic eight-month courtroom clash – the longest concluded criminal trial in English history.

It's a showdown that will pit tabloid newspaper executives in Rupert Murdoch's News International stable against a newly emboldened British state.

The journalists are variously accused of phone hacking, corrupting public officials and conspiracy to pervert the course of justice.

After years of cover up involving News International, the Metropolitan Police and the Government, the judge tells the jury: “British justice is on trial.”

Insight into British journalism and politics
Peter Jukes, a TV crime writer, tweets the first few days – and accidentally sets up the UK's first journalism crowd-funding. New media exposes the old.

The trial lays bare the venality and surveillance of the News of the World: its ability to pry into the lives of anyone who matters, at any moment. A Hollywood actress. A missing girl. A Cabinet minister.

It's also a battle.

Battle of wits between London’s top lawyers
With Rupert Murdoch's millions, seven defendants hire London's top QCs.

Rebekah Brooks has the £5,000-a-day silk for corporations, Jonathan Laidlaw. For the Crown is the Liverpudlian Andrew Edis QC.

Several times the multi-million pound cases totters on the brink of collapse.

Drawing on verbatim court exchanges and exhibits, Jukes reveals the daily reality and grand strategies of a major criminal trial.

He gives the secret of Rebekah Brooks' 14 days in the witness box.

He explains why during a cigarette break a defence lawyer gave him a wry smile.

And he discloses the failings of the Crown Prosecution Service – which contribute to the jury’s shocking verdicts.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Zeb said:

Peter Jukes - Beyond Contempt

H99iIaB.jpg

The Inside Story of the Phone Hacking Trial

YOU KNOW ALL ABOUT IT, RIGHT ?

You know all about the phone hacking trial, don't you? Rebekah Brooks was acquitted and Andy Coulson went to jail. But why?

Why was Brooks, the public face of the phone hacking scandal, whom many believed must have known about bribery and hacking, found not guilty on all charges?

• Why did Coulson's expensive defence not impress reporters?

• What impact did Rupert Murdoch’s millons have on the trial?

• And why did the jurors reach the decisions they did?

Blow by blow: Crown v Rebekah Brooks & Others
Jukes starts at the start. October 2013 and reporters are packing London’s Old Bailey for the start of an epic eight-month courtroom clash – the longest concluded criminal trial in English history.

It's a showdown that will pit tabloid newspaper executives in Rupert Murdoch's News International stable against a newly emboldened British state.

The journalists are variously accused of phone hacking, corrupting public officials and conspiracy to pervert the course of justice.

After years of cover up involving News International, the Metropolitan Police and the Government, the judge tells the jury: “British justice is on trial.”

Insight into British journalism and politics
Peter Jukes, a TV crime writer, tweets the first few days – and accidentally sets up the UK's first journalism crowd-funding. New media exposes the old.

The trial lays bare the venality and surveillance of the News of the World: its ability to pry into the lives of anyone who matters, at any moment. A Hollywood actress. A missing girl. A Cabinet minister.

It's also a battle.

Battle of wits between London’s top lawyers
With Rupert Murdoch's millions, seven defendants hire London's top QCs.

Rebekah Brooks has the £5,000-a-day silk for corporations, Jonathan Laidlaw. For the Crown is the Liverpudlian Andrew Edis QC.

Several times the multi-million pound cases totters on the brink of collapse.

Drawing on verbatim court exchanges and exhibits, Jukes reveals the daily reality and grand strategies of a major criminal trial.

He gives the secret of Rebekah Brooks' 14 days in the witness box.

He explains why during a cigarette break a defence lawyer gave him a wry smile.

And he discloses the failings of the Crown Prosecution Service – which contribute to the jury’s shocking verdicts.

Court cases are still being settled now, was reading the other day about another payout. Cost them ten's of millions of pounds in compensation so far, and rightly so. The bastards think they can do what they like and write what they like with no consideration for the victim or the consequences for them. 

Best thing they did was shut the News Of The World down, slippery bastards and their entrapment set ups to get a front page story. Should shut down the fucking Sun newspaper as well. 

• Like 1

First read of a Michael Connolly book, bit late to the party🙂 Been reading it on and off over Xmas. It's reasonably entertaining, but haven't really warmed to the characters in the book the same way I did with say the Easy Rawlins series. Hopefully it will improve in the 2nd half.

image.png

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Lemondropkid said:

First read of a Michael Connolly book, bit late to the party🙂 Been reading it on and off over Xmas. It's reasonably entertaining, but haven't really warmed to the characters in the book the same way I did with say the Easy Rawlins series. Hopefully it will improve in the 2nd half.

image.png

Read everything of his up to his latest hardback. The older ones like this are better than the later ones,but most author's seem to slowly degrade in quality, just look at King,Koontz,Grisham etc .

Surprised you didn't really get into it, but everyone can't like the same things.

• Thumbs Up 1

15 hours ago, galenkia said:

Read everything of his up to his latest hardback. The older ones like this are better than the later ones,but most author's seem to slowly degrade in quality, just look at King,Koontz,Grisham etc .

Surprised you didn't really get into it, but everyone can't like the same things.

Very true. And just as well we don't all like the same things as otherwise books, movies, etc, would become very boring.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, galenkia said:

I thought I was bound to love it!

It did  I'll admit improve in the final act of the book, there was a twist I didn't see coming 300+ pages in that got me really interested for the first time. I then rattled through to the end of the book.

Clearly Mr Connelly has survived well enough without my patronage!, and millions worldwide like yourself love the series🙂

Equally sure my local charity shop will be happy to get a brand spanking new copy to sell (one careful owner), and someone else will enjoy it.

• Thumbs Up 1

Started this earlier. 

The author visits old abandoned places and examines how they have evolved into things like nature haven's etc. Interesting read, and recommend by the sales assistant in Waterstones when he saw me pick it up as he has read it himself. 

41bwvFAmNqL.jpg

• Great Info 1