What are you reading?

Al McReady

1b3fac1d-41a7-4807-8667-0ba8bdffd870_613351743.jpeg

Sometimes funny, sometimes tragic, it gives an insight into the utter mayhem that is Parkhurst. Not actually very easy to read because it's written in a kind of diary entry format, with some long passages and some short so it doesn't really flow very well, imo.

However, it does go a way to explain why the Prison Service is in such a shambles and how they face cutbacks and an ever increasing prison population.

• Great Info 1

3 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

Finished the four book, Atlee Pine series last night. A bit bleary eyed this morning as I binge read the last book, Mercy into the wee hours of the morning. An excellent, captivating and well written story.  

812Nyq8rfuL._CLa_2627,2560_81FIn0jeG-L.jpg,819EvSi7CbL.jpg_0,0,1194,2560+1433,0,1194,2560+597,0,1433,2560_._SY300_.jpg

Superb author, my favourite. Always pre order his books for the Kindle so get them on the day of publication. 

Picked this one up from my newly joined local library, found it browsing. Wasn't previously aware of it, not a Gunther book. Set in 1943 the central character is an American academic whose a minor member of the Intelligence Services- has started well.

Was blown away by American Tabloid, more Ellroy on the wish list for me.

image.png

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Lemondropkid said:

Picked this one up from my newly joined local library, found it browsing. Wasn't previously aware of it, not a Gunther book. Set in 1943 the central character is an American academic whose a minor member of the Intelligence Services- has started well.

Was blown away by American Tabloid, more Ellroy on the wish list for me.

image.png

I'll have to try this one myself, as I love the Gunther books; presently reading this one, which was used as a reference for one of them - very interesting:

61Xhh6hXiSL._AC_UY218_.jpg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, lazarus said:

The Thirteen-Gun Salute is the thirteenth historical novel in the Aubrey–Maturin series by Patrick O'Brian, first published in 1989. The story is set during the Napoleonic Wars and the War of 1812.

81vtiyocH6L.jpg

Thanks for the heads up , I’ve just ordered Master and Commander the first in the series 

I do enjoy historical novels , 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 2/21/2022 at 11:38 AM, gs joe said:

Thanks for the heads up , I’ve just ordered Master and Commander the first in the series 

I do enjoy historical novels , 

Interesting reads. Helps to either know a bit about old ships and/or pick up the glossary/guide mentioned in an earlier post. In the earlier books the onshore chapters sometimes get tedious but it is critical to plot and character development down the line. For me it ticks a lot of boxes: history, geography, birding, naval battles, etc.

After reading several of the books out of sequence about 10 years ago I collected the entire set with the intention of reading it in order. Glad I finally got around to it (now 2/3rds of the way).

?dm=KGDMWRDG

Putin's Wars: The Rise of Russia's New Imperialism by Marcel H. Van Herpen

Overview: This audiobook offers the first systematic analysis of Putin's two wars, placing the Second Chechen War and the War with Georgia of 2008 in their broader historical contexts. Drawing on extensive original Russian sources, Marcel H. Van Herpen analyzes in detail how Putin's wars were prepared and conducted and why they led to allegations of war crimes and genocide. He shows how the conflicts functioned to consolidate and legitimate Putin's regime and explores how they were connected to a third, hidden, "internal war" waged by the Kremlin against the opposition. The author convincingly argues that the Kremlin - relying on the secret services, the Orthodox Church, the Kremlin youth "Nashi", and the rehabilitated Cossacks - is preparing for an imperial revival, most recently in the form of a "Eurasian Union."

An essential book for understanding the dynamics of Putin's regime, this study digs deep into the Kremlin's secret long-term strategies. Clearly argued, it makes a compelling case that Putin's regime emulates an established Russian paradigm in which empire building and despotic rule are mutually reinforcing. As the first comprehensive exploration of the historical antecedents and political continuity of the Kremlin's contemporary policies, Van Herpen's work will make a valuable contribution to the literature on post-Soviet Russia, and his arguments will stimulate vigorous debate.

The War in Ukraine's Donbas book cover

This collective work analyzes the ongoing conflict in Ukraine, providing a coherent picture of Ukraine and Eastern Europe in the period 2013–2020. Giving voice to different social groups, scholarly communities and agencies relevant to Ukraine’s recent history, The War in Ukraine's Donbas goes beyond simplistic media interpretations that limit the analysis solely to Vladimir Putin and Russian aims to annex Ukraine. Instead, the authors identify the deeper roots linked to the autonomy and history of Donbas as a region. The contributions explore local society and traditions and the alienation from Ukraine caused by the events of Euromaidan, which saw the removal of the Donetsk-based president Viktor Yanukovych. Other chapters address the refugee crisis, the Minsk Accords in 2014 and the impact of the new president Volodymyr Zelensky and his efforts to bring the war to an end by negotiations among Russia, Ukraine, France, and Germany.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, lazarus said:

The Nutmeg of Consolation is the fourteenth historical novel in the Aubrey-Maturin series by British author Patrick O'Brian, first published in 1991. The story is set during the Napoleonic Wars and the War of 1812.

5ceb8490d0818d378f35e48aa6f69940530468ec.jpg

I’ve read a couple of his books to pass a couple of hours. 
He liked people to believe he could sail and that he was Irish, both weren’t true, although his mother had a bit of Irish ancestry, but he just changed his name for an Irish name. His second wife who wrote a biography on him was a Tolstoy and her book makes good reading. 👍

Edited by KhunDon

6 hours ago, lazarus said:

The Nutmeg of Consolation is the fourteenth historical novel in the Aubrey-Maturin series by British author Patrick O'Brian, first published in 1991. The story is set during the Napoleonic Wars and the War of 1812.

5ceb8490d0818d378f35e48aa6f69940530468ec.jpg

Just a few minutes ago the Aubrey-Maturin series was the subject of a Mastermind question: Who was the author?

I knew that I should know it from these posts but struggled to remember Patrick O'Brian. The contestant did not know either.

• Like 1