What are you reading?

Al McReady

On 1/14/2022 at 3:50 AM, galenkia said:

Started this earlier. 

The author visits old abandoned places and examines how they have evolved into things like nature haven's etc. Interesting read, and recommend by the sales assistant in Waterstones when he saw me pick it up as he has read it himself. 

41bwvFAmNqL.jpg

Finally picked this one up from the library. Very interesting so far.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/21/2021 at 5:51 PM, coxyhog said:

The first chapter is about the Magna Carta & how it was more about the wealthy barons keeping their riches from King John rather than protecting the masses.

On 9/22/2021 at 12:25 AM, nampla69 said:

Loved that book ....

I can't believe it was so long ago that you recommended this book.

I did tell my son.

He did buy it.

He posted it beginning of December.

I received it last week !!!!

The Track and Trace is an epic travelogue in its own right!!!

I am currently enjoying the Introduction .... and I don't say that too often.

Thanks!

• Thumbs Up 2

On 9/24/2021 at 6:07 PM, bob lt said:

Yes. A very damning chapter regarding the AOC's report to the Board of Enquiry. The authors opinion of the Mk2 Chinook is scathing, he claims that the day before the accident, RAF test pilots refused to fly the Mk2. Since being upgraded, this particular craft had required 2 engine replacements and a serious flying-control fault

I feel the need to explain my interest.

I knew a person on board that flight. He was my Platoon Commander in '74/'75 based in Gillingham, Kent.I hated him. Major H Jones and him were on my RCB (Which I failed).

We were to meet up again serving special forces at a time everything in my head had slotted into place and I realised that he was just "pushing me" as a young soldier but I was just too bloody young to understand !!!

I think his son died at an early age too..(playing rugby???).

Jeez the world is f***d up sometimes ...

• Thumbs Up 2

On recommendation from both this thread and the papers I managed to get hold of this book. I  started reading it yesterday. the 06/02/2022. The 70th anniversary of Queen Elizabeth the seconds Reign. The first line of the book reads. 'The King is dead. Long live the Queen.' 

the-fortune-men.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

37 minutes ago, andycoll said:

On recommendation from both this thread and the papers I managed to get hold of this book. I  started reading it yesterday. the 06/02/2022. The 70th anniversary of Queen Elizabeth the seconds Reign. The first line of the book reads. 'The King is dead. Long live the Queen.' 

the-fortune-men.jpg

The book I posted earlier ' Black Mamba Boy' is a sort of prequel to this one. Where this is about the authors fathers friend accused of murder in Cardiff , that one is based on her father and his story of how he ended up living in the UK and his journey from Africa as a young boy and man. 

I enjoyed both of them. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 2/5/2022 at 1:29 PM, Derek Dangleberries said:

I feel the need to explain my interest.

I knew a person on board that flight. He was my Platoon Commander in '74/'75 based in Gillingham, Kent.I hated him. Major H Jones and him were on my RCB (Which I failed).

We were to meet up again serving special forces at a time everything in my head had slotted into place and I realised that he was just "pushing me" as a young soldier but I was just too bloody young to understand !!!

I think his son died at an early age too..(playing rugby???).

Jeez the world is f***d up sometimes ...

Will bring it over if restrictions are eased.

IMG_20220207_165114.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/2/2022 at 3:51 PM, galenkia said:

Read all his books, superb series. Reckon you'll enjoy them. 

Relieved to report it was excellent😁. A bit grim in places given the nature of the killings but very well told, and loved the characters. Will keep an eye out for more of his in my local charity bookstores.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, galenkia said:

Been reading a lot lately as the weather has been pretty cold so been indoors.

Same here with me. Out briefly today blowing a gale and being lashed with rain.

Photo app on my phone told me 3 years ago today I was in Cambodia. Really do miss some winter sun.

• Like 1