"He's a lumberjack and he's OK"

Jambo

Brave soul, you wouldn’t catch my fat arse up there! 

Reminds me of my first trip. Was staying at Best Beach on Soi 5, as I arrived late with my friend of the night, the key card wasn’t working. They gave me the room next door, and the next morning, the young man got into my original room by climbing the balconies. Talk about safety

1 hour ago, tommy dee said:

local tree monkey here.. with a leaking chain saw did same but probably worse.  I asked clearlyt with a thai for it to be cut low, flush almost with the ground.. got a 2 ft fuckin stump

83444886_177925683455696_7118459228519399424_n.jpg83483370_196773784707789_8337722017750974464_n.jpg83481644_612629029532879_567851580552904704_n.jpg

Standard practice. Much lower than that and you get grit through the chain, bar and sprocket which fuks them.

Usually get a stump grinder in to finish the job.

There are plenty of vids on Youtube on how to get rid of a stump (if you've got the patience). Usually involve drilling several holes in the stump and filling the holes with saltpeter, epsom salts etc. Accelerates the decay.

1 hour ago, fygjam said:

Standard practice. Much lower than that and you get grit through the chain, bar and sprocket which fuks them.

Usually get a stump grinder in to finish the job.

There are plenty of vids on Youtube on how to get rid of a stump (if you've got the patience). Usually involve drilling several holes in the stump and filling the holes with saltpeter, epsom salts etc. Accelerates the decay.

i did that myself, when younger in GA USA, 26 G A pINES DOWNED, LOGGED AND GROUND.  NOT SURE ANYONE HERE HAS SUCH. ( sorry caps)  i actually would have been happy if he levelled it off like i asked.  but TIT

4 hours ago, Jambo said:

The owner of the house next door in Mae Sot called in the lumberjack ( Thai style) to remove a tree from their garden.

Armed only with a machette he set to it:

Whatever he was getting paid is not enough!

When I was living there I was renting a house. At the back of the houses in the soi was a huge vacant lot all overgrown with jungle. And in the jungle were snakes. Lots of snakes. Huge fuking snakes. Although there was a fairly high wall at the back of the house (laundry area) separating it from the jungle the occasional snake still made it into the laundry and of course the stupid bugger had forgotten how it got in so it had trouble getting out again.

From time to time one or other of the occupants of the soi would get someone in to clear the jungle at the back of their house. Not that it bothered the snakes much. One time I heard some noise out the back and on investigating, a couple of guys were hacking into the jungle with machetes a couple of houses down. I asked how much to do my place. 200 baht said the younger guy before being corrected by the older guy, 400 baht. (Turns out they were father and son). No I said, 300 baht. Ok 300 if I give each one a bottle of water. Deal done, they went to it and I went back inside.

A little while later I heard a bit of a comotion and went to investigate. The old man was laughing and the young guy was doing some maniacal dance and tearing his clothes off. Turns out he had hacked into a nest of tree ants.

00000.jpg

They swarm aggressively and sting like buggery if disturbed.

Job done I offered another beverage and paid the 500 baht. If I reckon I got Thai price I always gave a tip be it food cart, M/C taxi driver etc. They said for that they'd cut down every plant in the garden if I wanted. Declined the offer.

Their "normal job" was keeping a section of Pattaya Tai clean. Dunno if they were paid by the city or the businesses but apparently a place where you can pick up some day labour although you'd probably need to speak Thai.

PS. I wouldn't have done it for 5,000 baht even if I had my chainsaw and brush cutter.

• Like 2

A couple of years ago here in the UK, we had 7, 50+ft willow trees cut down at the bottom of the garden and turned into logs for the planned log burner.  Sorry, can’t find the pics.☹️
Once they were down, they bought in a huge tracked stump grinder and removed the stumps to a foot below ground level. 
Very professional job, dread to think how they would have done the same job in Thailand.
Probably it would have involved dynamite and a visit to A&E somewhere in the process. 🤣

• Haha 1