Snooker

coxyhog

On 3/4/2022 at 1:10 PM, galenkia said:

Hanging in there 😁

My nephew I hadn’t seen New Year’s Eve, decided to pop by today. We started making a semi-regular thing of shooting pool before lockdowns kicked in again. Plus he finally moved away from my sister(smart boy), he needed the privacy because he’s with a very nice Moroccan Jew girlfriend. Her parents can’t know yet, but they’re both in love. Anyway, he felt guilty and insisted we start playing again now that restrictions have been lifted

So I think I shall introduce him to a “proper table”, a 6x12 foot. But I know it’s tough and takes so long to finish a full frame. But it helps when you return to regular pool, your precision goes way up

Will try to post some photos, but no videos. You guys have enough pain viewing the Ukraine conflict, no need making it worse posting 2 Canucks 🇨🇦trading breaks of a single red

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Trump Vs Perry in today's final. Sort of under the radar Perry, didn't expect to see him there, thought Lisowski was gonna come back and nick it.

Gotta fancy Trump, but was not at his best the couple of games I saw him in earlier this week.

Good day of sports again, also got Test cricket in the morning, and Manchester derby in the afternoon, Golf in the evening.👍

24 minutes ago, galenkia said:

Trump Vs Perry in today's final. Sort of under the radar Perry, didn't expect to see him there, thought Lisowski was gonna come back and nick it.

Gotta fancy Trump, but was not at his best the couple of games I saw him in earlier this week.

Good day of sports again, also got Test cricket in the morning, and Manchester derby in the afternoon, Golf in the evening.👍

Is it just me, or are more guys down the rankings in the top 32/64 getting higher finishes these days? I don’t follow it like you, but I only recognized Trump’s name in the last 4. 

Always loved snooker since I first tuned in to French TV in 1993 watching Hendry. Too bad my breakbuilding never reached the height of my golf 5555. Dad, though he wasn’t much better than me, was the master of the double, those side pockets attracted his reds like a magnet. And his father, we took him out, aged 78, after suffering at least two strokes, and while he had a bad night, he actually potted his 1st attempt in decades…..never forgot that.Old man never lost his stroke. He was the quite the talent my grandfather, I learned later. Drove a bus, but also hustled pool, boxed, even won a small house in a poker game, and was strong as a bull in his day. His 4th stroke finally took him out at 81…..Those Lithuanian genes must be good, his other 2 sons almost made it to the NFL, big boys

Edited by Golfingboy
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Golfingboy said:

Is it just me, or are more guys down the rankings in the top 32/64 getting higher finishes these days? I don’t follow it like you, but I only recognized Trump’s name in the last 4.

The standard is so high these days and there are so many more tournaments. Those short races to 3 or 4 frames tend to allow the less known players to feature later on in the tournaments, but they seldom win them. Perry is a blast from the past, he may have started more practice again or had an eye operation which has allowed him to play well again.

Trump has scraped through to the final like all great players do, Perry has been the best player all week, so the final will be interesting.

• Thumbs Up 2

Just now, boydeste said:

The standard is so high these days and there are so many more tournaments. Those short races to 3 or 4 frames tend to allow the less known players to feature later on in the tournaments, but they seldom win them

So if I put in a few hours at my local, there’s a chance I pocket a few quid someday? 

1 minute ago, boydeste said:

I usually go home pissed and broke after a few hours in my local. :default_cheers:

Really? Hearing that I’ll put my career on hold. I think it’s similar to golf, people don’t realize what it takes to be a pro, and also just how great your average “has been” really is. I’m sure you’ve witnessed many centuries, and played against mates where 60-70 points is routine. 

I’ve always said how people in North America don’t appreciate how impossible it is to be at the top of the snooker world. Number 1, I think your eyesight must be spot on, but the positional shots…..people just don’t get it. 

And what’s the difference between a maximum screw, and jumping the ball while tearing a hole in the felt? Fractions of a mm? The casual player has no idea

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Golfingboy said:

Really? Hearing that I’ll put my career on hold. I think it’s similar to golf, people don’t realize what it takes to be a pro, and also just how great your average “has been” really is. I’m sure you’ve witnessed many centuries, and played against mates where 60-70 points is routine. 

I’ve always said how people in North America don’t appreciate how impossible it is to be at the top of the snooker world. Number 1, I think your eyesight must be spot on, but the positional shots…..people just don’t get it. 

And what’s the difference between a maximum screw, and jumping the ball while tearing a hole in the felt? Fractions of a mm? The casual player has no idea

Also, most ton plus club players will have never played on the tables set up for the pros. The tables are lightening fast and the pockets are so so small by comparison.

Golf is a good comparison where Tour pros are different gravy to that of club pros.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, boydeste said:

He's been the best player all week, glad to see him win.

Fairly local to me too!

Saw very little of him until the semi's. Mind you, some of the top players were not at their best, Robertson and Williams are two who come to mind. 

4 hours ago, boydeste said:

Congrats to Joe, well deserved win.

Watched some highlights on YT, the 2 reds he sank in 8th frame to go ahead 5-3…..not total flukes, but he got lucky for sure. 

From what I saw, could have easily gone Trump’s way as well, he missed a few very easy pots

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Golfingboy said:

Watched some highlights on YT, the 2 reds he sank in 8th frame to go ahead 5-3…..not total flukes, but he got lucky for sure. 

From what I saw, could have easily gone Trump’s way as well, he missed a few very easy pots

That's why they call it a game of fractions

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, Golfingboy said:

That's what being under pressure does for ya, also why you loose if the other player is playing better than you!

• Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, Golfingboy said:

No mate, must have missed that. Cut me some some slack, we don’t get the same channels here

I keep forgetting that, also there is the time difference. 

You are awake early or super late methinks.