The Ashes 2021/22

coxyhog

Well that was an exciting non result. The Poms held out for a draw.

The Aussies were relying on Steve Smith's bowling rather than his batting to win a match. The last 4 or 5 overs were very entertaining.

Was interesting watching Stokes hiding his head in his arms trying not to watch the last few balls.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

This is why we will continue to lose games until we have separate red and white ball squads, including management. Our schedule this calendar year :

15 Test matches :

2 in Australia, 3 each in the West Indies and Pakistan, 7 at home. 

T20I matches (between 26 and 28):

5 in the West Indies, 7 in Pakistan, 3 in Australia, between 5 - 7 in Australia for the T20I World Cup,6 at home. 

12 ODI matches :

3 in Holland, 3 in Australia, 6 at home. 

55 possible matches in all, the most we have ever had in a calendar year. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

27 minutes ago, galenkia said:

This is why we will continue to lose games until we have separate red and white ball squads, including management. Our schedule this calendar year :

15 Test matches :

2 in Australia, 3 each in the West Indies and Pakistan, 7 at home. 

T20I matches (between 26 and 28):

5 in the West Indies, 7 in Pakistan, 3 in Australia, between 5 - 7 in Australia for the T20I World Cup,6 at home. 

12 ODI matches :

3 in Holland, 3 in Australia, 6 at home. 

55 possible matches in all, the most we have ever had in a calendar year. 

Assuming a player plays in both squads, that's pushing 115 days of cricket.  Take into account travel time... just when are the out of form players supposed to "return to their county" to get some red ball form?

I remember growing up to 5 tests in a summer, with maybe 5 on tour in the winter. Of course, few one day internationals. Turning on BBC2 at 1.55 on a Sunday to find out the selected 12 for the next test before the Sunday afternoon 40 over match. Players scoring 2000 runs a season in county cricket, occasionally a bowler taking 100 wickets in a season.

That schedule is great for money making, and, I suppose, entertainment,  but so frustrating for those of us wanting England to do well.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, KWA said:

Serious question - do Australia not have the same conflict?

I don't think Australia play as many games as countries like us and India, though I could be wrong, but I don't seem to see the amount of fixtures /results as we have. 

On 1/10/2022 at 12:47 PM, KWA said:

Serious question - do Australia not have the same conflict?

Yes there is the same issues. For example, after the English go home, the Aussies are off to Pakistan for a tour, I'm sure there will another that will be another tour carefully planned around the IPL, there was some talk about a West Indies tour. Each tour usually has T20 and one day matches, many of the same people are in each of those teams.

7 minutes ago, galenkia said:

134 for 6 so at least we ain't going to follow on. 

Burns run out after 6 balls!!!!, seriously?, in a fucking Test match?. 

Not seen any play yet, but is this a T20I game now?. 

I will be glad when this series over...been a f*****g embarrasment

• Thumbs Up 3