Dehydration

Glasseye

36 minutes ago, Jambo said:

Although there are generally plenty of drink stations there were several occasions in Thailand playing golf when I became dizzy through dehydration.

I never liked wearing a hat and that probably contributed.

Yes, I remember in 2009 having played with Dave from Canterbury Tales. Back of my neck was badly burned, even with a hat and riding a cart. That area was fairly raw for over a year, before slowly coming back to normal

Worst I ever got was around Phoenix AZ the year prior to that, didn’t wear a hat with a newly shaved head. Usually feel a sunburn the next day, I was already feeling it by the 13th hole. Pure stupidity, but feeling young and bulletproof and probably hung over from the night before…..lesson learned, don’t mess with the desert sun, you will lose

Edited by Golfingboy

18 hours ago, Evil Penevil said:

Before he retired, a friend of mine worked as a doctor in a medical trauma center.  He said most people don't realize the serious risks of dehydration and how many times it's linked directly or indirectly to the deaths of younger, mostly fit individuals.

This is a tragic case in point:

California family found dead on hike tried to send text, calls for help

A California family who died from heat and dehydration during a hike in a remote area of the Sierra National Forest desperately tried to call for help but their calls did not go through because of poor cellular service, authorities said.

John Gerrish, Ellen Chung, their 1-year-old daughter, Miju, and their dog were all found dead on Aug. 17 more than a mile from their car off Savage Lundy Trail after a friend reported them missing.

The family's deaths were determined to be hyperthermia and probable dehydration due to environmental exposure. The Mariposa County Sheriff’s Office said the family had climbed the trail in triple-digit heat and an empty 85-ounce water bladder backpack was found with them.

(MORE)

People also tend to  forget dogs need quite a bit of water every day and even more while on walks in hot weather.

Evil

That's an instance with tragic consequences that could have so easily been avoided.

I'd wager that a very big percentage of deaths and accidents that occur in the "wilderness" are due to people being unprepared or not having done their homework.

Dehydration is one of those things that creeps up on you though and by the time the effects are getting really debilitating, it's often at the stage of doing damage.

Edited by Butch
poor spelling.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1