Philippine EXPERTS? is this true?

tommy dee

1 hour ago, tommy dee said:

some geezer in the mail sending all his wages to his flipa fiance.. says that there i sno such thing as divorce there, only annulment and it costs 5000 quid?  cant be ture surely as otherwise no one could afford that.

weird story

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-11039131/90-Day-Fianc-UK-star-hits-claims-long-distance-beau-just-money.html

Use to be true unless it has been changed the no divorce part anyway cant coment on the rest

and there are no experts

• Like 1

Perfectly true, my partner hasn't heard from her ex, who left her for another 18 years ago. She consulted several attorneys in Angeles city, within the last 2 years, and was quoted 150,000pp+ and around 18 months+ wait

Philippines is apparently the only predominantly catholic country that does not allow divorce. Duterte talked about changing it before he was elected but I guess the church and the lawyers got to him

Edited by biggles
Typo
  • Great Info 5

I just looked on wikipedia and its correct, but surprising. Malta was the last country in europe to introduce divorce.

"Every nation in the world allows its residents to divorce under some conditions except the Philippines (though Muslims in the Philippines have the right to divorce) and the Vatican City, an ecclesiastical sovereign city-state, which has no procedure for divorce. In these two countries, laws only allow annulment of marriages."

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Zambo said:

I just looked on wikipedia and its correct, but surprising. Malta was the last country in europe to introduce divorce.

"Every nation in the world allows its residents to divorce under some conditions except the Philippines (though Muslims in the Philippines have the right to divorce) and the Vatican City, an ecclesiastical sovereign city-state, which has no procedure for divorce. In these two countries, laws only allow annulment of marriages."

And citizens of the Holy See aren't allowed to marry anyway.

Once upon a time I opened a bank account in the PI. It was a royal pain in the ass. Years later my reason for opening it was no longer valid, so I closed it. That took 4 months and the costs of what I had to supply cost me $200 US and at least two weeks of my effort over time. The later angers me the most. They would send me a form that could not be returned electronically, so I would have to send it back DHL. Then I would get a new message saying that the form had been replaced and I had to use the new form. On and on. And all of this occurred with an HSBC location, which is a modern bank.

I also once upon a time, purchased an airplane ticket from Cebu Pacific. I paid with a credit card. The charge went straight through. When I got to the airport (in Manila for a flight to Tacloban), I was told that the credit card charge had not been accepted. Because I was meeting someone (ex-wife at this point who was already in-route to Tacloban) I had no choice but to purchase another ticket. I did not want for her to be standing in Tacloban figuring out what to do.

It took me 6 months to work this out with Cebu Pacific. At one point they e-mailed me saying that they could not refund my money because their e-mail severer had crashed destroying my evidence. I was only able to finally recoup my money by presenting the evidence to CitiBank (my credit card bank at the time), who reversed the charge and went after Cebu Pacific.

Short message is try not to get involved with any potential legal matters within the PI. They are out to get ya.

• Like 1
  • Great Info 2

1 hour ago, ChiFlyer said:

Once upon a time I opened a bank account in the PI. It was a royal pain in the ass. Years later my reason for opening it was no longer valid, so I closed it. That took 4 months and the costs of what I had to supply cost me $200 US and at least two weeks of my effort over time. The later angers me the most. They would send me a form that could not be returned electronically, so I would have to send it back DHL. Then I would get a new message saying that the form had been replaced and I had to use the new form. On and on. And all of this occurred with an HSBC location, which is a modern bank.

I also once upon a time, purchased an airplane ticket from Cebu Pacific. I paid with a credit card. The charge went straight through. When I got to the airport (in Manila for a flight to Tacloban), I was told that the credit card charge had not been accepted. Because I was meeting someone (ex-wife at this point who was already in-route to Tacloban) I had no choice but to purchase another ticket. I did not want for her to be standing in Tacloban figuring out what to do.

It took me 6 months to work this out with Cebu Pacific. At one point they e-mailed me saying that they could not refund my money because their e-mail severer had crashed destroying my evidence. I was only able to finally recoup my money by presenting the evidence to CitiBank (my credit card bank at the time), who reversed the charge and went after Cebu Pacific.

Short message is try not to get involved with any potential legal matters within the PI. They are out to get ya.

I had an almighty problem with Cebu Pacific, eventually sorted out after what seemed like 2 thousand emails. I'm super reluctant to use them but the Mrs says they're all pretty much the same, the best I've found is air asia which has better CC and is better organised.

We have a BDO bank account in the RP who despite being a bunch of arseholes at times do give reasonable service and their branches are relatively accessible. They have our business accounts as well, so we needed a bank that would allow a counter signaturee to access the accounts when we're not there, which they did (also easier to do this when setting up the account rather than mid term) . They love a bit of paperwork.

As with anything, the usual caveats apply, but when doing things in the RP, apply them twice as much and don't trust anyone, they've turned scamming foreigners into a national sport.

• Like 3

I first visited Angeles City in April of 2003, and one of the first things I noticed was the scarcity of ATM's compared to Pattaya; on my first day out I ran into a fellow Canuck who knew his way around and he said, "go to the  bank across from Johnny's Supermarket, you can get up to $600 cash advance on your credit card" - sounded like  a good idea so off to this bank I went. Yes, they could do it but they needed a photocopy of my passport page, and couldn't do it for me - but there was a copy shop just a couple of doors down that could. Okay, so I go to this copy shop only to be  told that their copier was kaput, but there was another shop a little ways down the street. This being mid-April, I am already swimming in sweat but off I go and get my photo copy for a nominal sum. Back to the bank and everything goes fine and I get my peso equivalent of $600 so I am a happy customer, but I couldn't help thinking, why didn't the bank just make a photocopy for me and charge me a fee for it? Our western banks make good money nickel and diming customers to death for small bank charges but I guess it had never occurred to the filipino banks to do the same thing...

• Like 2