Fruit Flies

Nightcrawler

I think that's what they're called. There seems to a plague of these tiny flies that are attracted to fruits and other plants containing natural sugars. 

I have spent a fortune on fly sprays and they seem to congregate and multiply in the wast bin and my fruit bowl etc. 

But how do they get there and how do the little bastards multiply so quickly? They have arrived since we have been having very hot sunny days in UK. 

I am trying to isolate food waste, and food stuff, but they just keep on coming back. 

21 minutes ago, Nightcrawler said:

I think that's what they're called. There seems to a plague of these tiny flies that are attracted to fruits and other plants containing natural sugars. 

I have spent a fortune on fly sprays and they seem to congregate and multiply in the wast bin and my fruit bowl etc. 

But how do they get there and how do the little bastards multiply so quickly? They have arrived since we have been having very hot sunny days in UK. 

I am trying to isolate food waste, and food stuff, but they just keep on coming back. 

They are a plague however .................... small glass jar .....fill it half full with apple cider vinegar or plain vinegar with honey and some washing up liquid. Shake .....the jar not yourself !!!!

Cover the lid in clingfilm secure with an elastic band ......pierce smallish holes in the clingfilm with scissors and then leave where they are worst. I used two jars last summer. 48 hours later all the little bastards are gone and dead in the jar. Repeat and shortly not a fruit fly to be seen.

• Like 1
  • Great Info 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

18 minutes ago, nampla69 said:

They are a plague however .................... small glass jar .....fill it half full with apple cider vinegar or plain vinegar with honey and some washing up liquid. Shake .....the jar not yourself !!!!

Cover the lid in clingfilm secure with an elastic band ......pierce smallish holes in the clingfilm with scissors and then leave where they are worst. I used two jars last summer. 48 hours later all the little bastards are gone and dead in the jar. Repeat and shortly not a fruit fly to be seen.

Thanks, will.give that a try tomorrow, need to buy some more cling film 

With ordinary flies, it's easy to keep then out of the living room and kitchen 

Just place a turd in the hallway and they will settle on that.😄

• Haha 3

17 minutes ago, Nightcrawler said:

Thanks, will.give that a try tomorrow, need to buy some more cling film 

With ordinary flies, it's easy to keep then out of the living room and kitchen 

Just place a turd in the hallway and they will settle on that.😄

Is it anything to do with the corpse you've got stuffed under the floorboards?.

• Great Info 1
  • Haha 5

2 minutes ago, tommy dee said:

word of warning, dont let them get in your eyes.  they are the most full of bacteria flies around and will give you a version of red eye that is agony and lasts for weeks.  fuckin things

To be honest Tommy, I think they're more of a pain in the arse.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Nightcrawler said:

Update on my fruitfly problem.

Yesterday, I took my waste bin outside before removing the refuge sack. Thousands of the little shits came flying out into the open air. I tied up the bag and put in the wheelybin. 

I then isolated all fruit and veg food  stuffs and placed them in a large plastic container.

By that time there were still a good few flying about the kichen or settled on cupboards and surfaces etc for safe haven. 

At this point, I made a trap as described by Nampla69 using cider vinegar, honey and a few squirts of Fairy Liquid. Left it there over night and swatted a few flies that were visible in the mean time. 

This morning, the trap was full of Fruit Fly corpses tempted by the aroma.  Not one of the little bastards left alive. Must have been  at least 100 or more. 

The Moral of this tale, is that "genocide works" 😁😁😁😁

No doubt at some point I may face trial by an Insect Rights Group for my crime  

I shall blame Nampla, of course. I was just following orders 😄

Glad it's now sorted, plus props to @nampla69for a fairly simple and effective remedy for the situation.

• Thumbs Up 2