The Health, Diet and Exercise Thread

galenkia

2 minutes ago, Jambo said:

Strawberries and raspberries are fine with low sugar content.

Its the double cream swamping them which fucks one up!

Yeah, berries seem a good option, yet things like grapes are quite high in sugar.

Dried fruit like dates are also very sugary.

It’s a bit of a minefield working out which fruits to try to limit and what is a better option.

But a bit of googling and you can soon plan a diet of regular healthy fruits and ones to consider as a treat rather than a daily thing.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, galenkia said:

Yeah, berries seem a good option, yet things like grapes are quite high in sugar.

Dried fruit like dates are also very sugary.

It’s a bit of a minefield working out which fruits to try to limit and what is a better option.

But a bit of googling and you can soon plan a diet of regular healthy fruits and ones to consider as a treat rather than a daily thing.

I feel as if i might be over doing the fruit although it seems healthy. I have 2 apples a day plus another couple of fruits - could be jack fruit, farang, grapes or dragon fruit. I water down orange juice about 1 part to 2 parts water. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Zambo said:

I feel as if i might be over doing the fruit although it seems healthy. I have 2 apples a day plus another couple of fruits - could be jack fruit, farang, grapes or dragon fruit. I water down orange juice about 1 part to 2 parts water. 

Don’t sound excessive mate, if you don’t suffer from gout or diabetes etc then it’s probably not a problem at all.

I am just trying to limit the chances of having a gout flare up, as it is so painful and lasts around two weeks.

9 minutes ago, galenkia said:

Don’t sound excessive mate, if you don’t suffer from gout or diabetes etc then it’s probably not a problem at all.

I am just trying to limit the chances of having a gout flare up, as it is so painful and lasts around two weeks.

Ah ok got it. I'm thinking about losing around 5kg in a reasonable time.

2 hours ago, galenkia said:

It’s why I generally avoid processed foods , as they have so much sugar, salt, bad fats etc.

Okay in small amounts, but it’s why people are so fat and unhealthy these days, too lazy to cook meals with fresh foods. Just live on ready meals and take aways.

I've written it off years ago... that is.... more than anything people are too fcuking lazy to move.

Period.     Call me a "know it all", i don't give a fcuk.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Zambo said:

Ah ok got it. I'm thinking about losing around 5kg in a reasonable time.

Decent diet and exercise should be able to do that in two or three months.

I’m not as strict as I was a couple of years ago, I ended up weighing 60 kilos. Now I’m about 75 and want to get down to about 70. But the last two years I have basically been sitting down a lot, my last job was 15 months sitting on a chair all day.

It’s one of the reasons I want to get back to work, get an active job, at the moment all I do is an hour a day fast walking on a treadmill. Weather doesn’t help? Being cold or wet all the time so limits outdoors activities.

At one point in the US I was 320 pounds the doctor said I had to knock off 120 pounds. He told me he could put me on a regimen that would take 10 to 12 months for me to hit that goal I told him that was far too long. Didn't go back to see him until I was 200 lb and that was 4 months later I dropped 120 lb in 4 months I've never ever had an issue losing weight that comes very easy for me and I eat a lot. The big problem is keeping the weight off I'm about 215 now and I'm happy with it but if I get much more than 225 I just take a week or two and knock it back off. And before somebody says the yo-yo dieting is no good for you if it works it works and it does for me

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

1 hour ago, Yesitisdakid said:

At one point in the US I was 320 pounds the doctor said I had to knock off 120 pounds. He told me he could put me on a regimen that would take 10 to 12 months for me to hit that goal I told him that was far too long. Didn't go back to see him until I was 200 lb and that was 4 months later I dropped 120 lb in 4 months I've never ever had an issue losing weight that comes very easy for me and I eat a lot. The big problem is keeping the weight off I'm about 215 now and I'm happy with it but if I get much more than 225 I just take a week or two and knock it back off. And before somebody says the yo-yo dieting is no good for you if it works it works and it does for me

I was at 220 years back. Knocked down to 180, solid in on year. Haven't gotten over 185 since, and don't  plan to.

320 - geezus bro. I would have probably never met you.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/31/2024 at 4:24 PM, galenkia said:

Decent diet and exercise should be able to do that in two or three months.

I’m not as strict as I was a couple of years ago, I ended up weighing 60 kilos. Now I’m about 75 and want to get down to about 70. But the last two years I have basically been sitting down a lot, my last job was 15 months sitting on a chair all day.

It’s one of the reasons I want to get back to work, get an active job, at the moment all I do is an hour a day fast walking on a treadmill. Weather doesn’t help? Being cold or wet all the time so limits outdoors activities.

Weather can be an issue, but something you have to overcome it regarding physical activity. 

When it was cold as fcuk I would find a building or a big parking garage, and walk up the stairs.

Here it's the heat. Most of the year I come home soaking wet. Throw the shirt in the laundry basket and take a shower.

Find a way mate, you are doing good. Continue marching on.

Can someone help me out with this issue because I'll be buggered if I know why it's happening.

At the gym I've got my 4 routines which I alternate and mix up, so all good.

Yesterday I was doing Lateral pulldowns on a cable machine with a wide grip on the bar. nothing stupid, just 4 sets of 10-12 reps at 60kg with 45 seconds rest between.

I then moved onto a resistance machine for the shoulder press (upright). I struggled to even lift 8kg , in fact the girl who used it prior to me was going heavier, and she was just a regular housewife, not a gym bunny. Worse still, I struggled with the light 8kg so much that after 8 reps on the second set, I felt my left shoulder starting to give out, so I stopped.

I'd ask, is it because the Lat pulldowns are a pulling exercise, whereas the shoulder press is a pushing one?. I used to be able to do a shoulder press of 18kg in each arm easily, surely my shoulder muscles aren't atrophied because I can do the pulldowns so easily.

It's not temporary either, I had another go this afternoon and the weakness is still there, and I called it a day at 2 sets of 10 @ 8kg.

All info gratefully received.

25 minutes ago, Butch said:

Can someone help me out with this issue because I'll be buggered if I know why it's happening.

At the gym I've got my 4 routines which I alternate and mix up, so all good.

Yesterday I was doing Lateral pulldowns on a cable machine with a wide grip on the bar. nothing stupid, just 4 sets of 10-12 reps at 60kg with 45 seconds rest between.

I then moved onto a resistance machine for the shoulder press (upright). I struggled to even lift 8kg , in fact the girl who used it prior to me was going heavier, and she was just a regular housewife, not a gym bunny. Worse still, I struggled with the light 8kg so much that after 8 reps on the second set, I felt my left shoulder starting to give out, so I stopped.

I'd ask, is it because the Lat pulldowns are a pulling exercise, whereas the shoulder press is a pushing one?. I used to be able to do a shoulder press of 18kg in each arm easily, surely my shoulder muscles aren't atrophied because I can do the pulldowns so easily.

It's not temporary either, I had another go this afternoon and the weakness is still there, and I called it a day at 2 sets of 10 @ 8kg.

All info gratefully received.

Shoulders are involved in all lifts. Some more than others.

Lat pull downs work the second biggest muscle group on your body.

I do back and biceps one day, chest and triceps the next, and shoulders the next. 

Over time your shoulders will strengthen. Is it weakness or pain ? I would avoid shoulder press (above your head type excercise), standard pull ups would be much better. In the beginning with some exercises (like dips or pull ups) you might only be able to do one or two. As time goes on it will increase. Give yourself time.

I'd recommend shrugs, dips, and push ups, and doing simple movement (light stretching) exercising motions. Always good to be loosened up before lifting (do some cardio first). 

Shoulders can be tricky, go easy and try not to over think it. The strength will come back in time.

Building strength comes from exhausting the muscle and then allowing the time for it to recover. Give yourself more time between sets, 45 seconds is way to short amount of time. Give yourself closer to 2 minutes.

I hope this helps a little. The most important thing is you stick with it, everybody is a little different in how their bodies operate.

The little Burmese street sweeper who works in my area could probably kick the shit out of me. 

• Great Info 1

13 hours ago, Glasseye said:

Shoulders are involved in all lifts. Some more than others.

Lat pull downs work the second biggest muscle group on your body.

I do back and biceps one day, chest and triceps the next, and shoulders the next. 

Over time your shoulders will strengthen. Is it weakness or pain ? I would avoid shoulder press (above your head type excercise), standard pull ups would be much better. In the beginning with some exercises (like dips or pull ups) you might only be able to do one or two. As time goes on it will increase. Give yourself time.

I'd recommend shrugs, dips, and push ups, and doing simple movement (light stretching) exercising motions. Always good to be loosened up before lifting (do some cardio first). 

Shoulders can be tricky, go easy and try not to over think it. The strength will come back in time.

Building strength comes from exhausting the muscle and then allowing the time for it to recover. Give yourself more time between sets, 45 seconds is way to short amount of time. Give yourself closer to 2 minutes.

I hope this helps a little. The most important thing is you stick with it, everybody is a little different in how their bodies operate.

The little Burmese street sweeper who works in my area could probably kick the shit out of me. 

Good advice. I guess 2 or 3 dips would be possible for most, but with pull ups i doubt even 50% could do 1.

Back to the previous post 60kg for 12 reps seems good and i doubt the regular housewife was doing that. 

For the shoulder press is it 8kg the total weight. What about a standing dumbbell press 8kg each?

1 hour ago, Zambo said:

Good advice. I guess 2 or 3 dips would be possible for most, but with pull ups i doubt even 50% could do 1.

Just did 5

20240204_183121.jpg

thirsty work

20240204_183808.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, galenkia said:

Use a pint as an incentive for every five you do. See how many pints it takes before you can’t even focus on the bars.😀

Not many these days. But i guarantee after even 1 pint there will be zero pull ups by me.

8 hours ago, Zambo said:

Back to the previous post 60kg for 12 reps seems good and i doubt the regular housewife was doing that. 

For the shoulder press is it 8kg the total weight. What about a standing dumbbell press 8kg each?

Hi Zambo

lol it was 8 kg total weight!. Standing dumbell press this afternoon was a struggle with 8kg per arm, I managed 8 reps on each arm before dropping to 6kg , I then managed to do 15 reps at 6, gave up after 3 sets as I could feel the tendons tightening and the muscle starting to complain.

I did go back to the shoulder press machine, and I think I know why I struggled, the grip isn't comfortable, I feel that my arms are too far apart.

At the end of my session I went on the dip bars, did 5 dips 2 sets. Everything else was fine though, so that's 2 areas I really need to start working on in upcoming sessions.

55 minutes ago, Butch said:

Hi Zambo

lol it was 8 kg total weight!. Standing dumbell press this afternoon was a struggle with 8kg per arm, I managed 8 reps on each arm before dropping to 6kg , I then managed to do 15 reps at 6, gave up after 3 sets as I could feel the tendons tightening and the muscle starting to complain.

I did go back to the shoulder press machine, and I think I know why I struggled, the grip isn't comfortable, I feel that my arms are too far apart.

At the end of my session I went on the dip bars, did 5 dips 2 sets. Everything else was fine though, so that's 2 areas I really need to start working on in upcoming sessions.

8 reps is fine. If you don't feel comfortable with a grip, or a setting go very lightly, or just avoid it for a while. Muscle soreness is always going to be a part of the game. But for us older guys you want to minimize injury to tendons or ligaments (they can take a long time to heal). 

Over time with lifting you are developing things like grip strength, balance and posture. Your muscle strength over time will contribute significantly to supporting your spine, joints and nervous system. If you go about it at the right pace you will begin to see some pain issues (like lower back, and shoulder pain dissipate or completely go away). But, at our ages we should always expect some stiffness and soreness.

I have had periods in the past where I could not reach up above my head to grab something without pain. Within a few months the pain disappeared. 

5 dips 2 sets already. I'd say pretty damn good.

• Thanks 1
  • Great Info 1

some lower back pain today ... could be from an over enthusiastic massage girl , the way I slept or from the horizontal jogging... 🤷‍♂️ not sure , I didn't feel anything go .. hopefully some rest will sort out .. 🤞

• Sad 1
  • Surprised 1

2 hours ago, Stillearly said:

some lower back pain today ... could be from an over enthusiastic massage girl , the way I slept or from the horizontal jogging... 🤷‍♂️ not sure , I didn't feel anything go .. hopefully some rest will sort out .. 🤞

What screwed me up a couple of years back was improper posture. Basically sitting in one position for too long caused the problem. 

I don't do those bend the crap out of you type massages. I would not trust even the best of them. They do not know your tolerances and flexibility levels. 

The back pain will probably be hanging around for a while. Keeping blood flow is important even (at least 20-30 minutes of walking) if in pain, and changing posture habits were what pulled me out of the worst of it. The blood flow helps the healing process.

Sitting on a hotel bed for long periods has caused me havoc also. And of course age adds to it, and body weight. 

On 1/29/2024 at 9:21 PM, Zambo said:

Just had a 500 step stroll around the condo to get my steps up to 20,000 today - bit sad i know. Earlier managed a 2km run with no knee pain at all so will try to increase to 3km (5km is my ultimate target) Recently have had a few resting heart rate readings sub 50bpm which is encouraging. Aiming to have a beer as a reward on 9 Feb.

Increased to a 3km run today, again no knee pain (no doubt a bit later). Pace reduced a bit, but not bad.

• Thumbs Up 2

17 minutes ago, Glasseye said:

I avoid running. Too much trauma to the knees and hips.    

Yes agreed, but other cardio choices don't suit me. Swimming - boring just up and down a pool. Cycling - i don't want to go so far (kid teung bahn). Paddling - no canoe.

If my knee injury threatens to reoccur i'll just scale back to walking.