Good To Be Back

Binlid

Nice thread Gazza, lad!

Good to see someone else's current take on Ao Nang, what they get up to or think about it.

As a family we like it, it's not sleazy, but not boring either.  We love Indian food, which is obviously a positive there as well. 

Though might try that Reeve Beach Club.

We're back in July, could be rainy, but sure, it'll not wet me 20metres below the sea surface :default_biggrin:

• Thumbs Up 1

49 minutes ago, Binlid said:

Just checked into our apartment, the wife is loving the balcony but it's making me feel sick just watching her looking over the balcony,I won't be anywhere near them railings 😄

20230425_171931.jpg

Looks very much like VT6.

19 minutes ago, Binlid said:

,the brother in laws pick up acted as the bar for family and friends at the local school

In all my years living "in the village" the best times have been local festivities in the school grounds.

My absolute favourite is when all villages all over Thailand hold local football tournaments against each other, normally around Aug/Sept. The competitions last about a week with BBQs going and drinking in the back of pickups just like yours. Lots of betting, lots of "ringers" from outside villages but never a fight! All in good fun...

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

20 hours ago, Krapow said:

Yes, it's absolutely one of the top highlights if not thee top highlight of my trips, seeing my wife's face beam when she runs over and gives her mum a huge hug on arrival.  Just magic, and their faces when they see her and their granddaughter. 

Makes whatever mad airfare i've just paid pale into insignificance. 

I didn’t grow up with the most affectionate family, but February 2019 when I flew down to Montreal I felt the same way. 4 hour flight but it had somehow been almost 4 years, was simply great to see parents, sister, nephews, cousins. I realized how much I missed everyone and should have simply  stayed there 20 years prior……

Had so much fun in those 10-11 days, drinking, food, few hockey games, SuperBowl…..I wouldn’t have believed anyone that said in 13 months your life will change significantly for the worse with the virus and Dad’s cancer…unreal

What did you think of Ao Nang @Binlid?

We like it, with not drinking or party animals, more foodies TBH, we kinda enjoy it, find it family friendly with decent food options, nice vista, nice general buzz .

I did see a well signposted and advertised 'Walking Street' of sorts not that far from our hotel, which seemed to have some 'girlie' bars,  but it's not a sleazy place as such. Which would suit some, and not suit others!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Krapow said:

We like it, with not drinking or party animals, more foodies TBH, we kinda enjoy it, find it family friendly with decent food options, nice vista, nice general buzz .

I did see a well signposted and advertised 'Walking Street' of sorts not that far from our hotel, which seemed to have some 'girlie' bars,  but it's not a sleazy place as such. Which would suit some, and not suit others!

The lovely thing about 'Walking Street' is that it is there if you want it but quite small and hidden if not interested, most people just pass by without noticing it.

Ao Nang has so much to offer apart from being a great location to stay or use as a springboard to travel to the Islands.

I have been 3 times and always driven down from Hua Hin. I usually do the drive in one go, about 9 hours with various stops. The road that starts just south of Surat Thani (route 44) and travels about 100kms to just north of Krabi is a beautiful route (especially at the Krabi end). Just a lovely part of the world. 

Always happy to see stories and pictures from the Krabi area.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Horizondave said:

The lovely thing about 'Walking Street' is that it is there if you want it but quite small and hidden if not interested, most people just pass by without noticing it.

Ao Nang has so much to offer apart from being a great location to stay or use as a springboard to travel to the Islands.

I have been 3 times and always driven down from Hua Hin. I usually do the drive in one go, about 9 hours with various stops. The road that starts just south of Surat Thani (route 44) and travels about 100kms to just north of Krabi is a beautiful route (especially at the Krabi end). Just a lovely part of the world. 

Always happy to see stories and pictures from the Krabi area.

I find the hotels, restaurants etc great value in Ao Nang as well. 

It's a nice chilled vibe, and as you say, good base location where you can explore more from. We met people staying at our hotel that were going doing overnight stays at Koh Tao or Phi Phi etc, then coming back. 

• Like 1
  • Great Info 1

1 hour ago, Krapow said:

Really enjoyed our first time in Ao Nang, I had done my homework and think I got a lot of things right. loved the hotel and its situation right across the road from the beach. We like live music and decent restaurants at night so I had 4 restaurants booked weeks before we left the UK. Walked past Soi RCA and its girlie bars a few times but never went down it. Only spent one daytime in Ao nang itself the, rest of the time we were Island hopping or visiting other parts of the Province in a hire car. I never once felt like I was being ripped off here, were as in Phuket it felt like you were getting ripped off left, right and centre. Probably wont be coming back but that's because I want to visit places I have not been to yet. Next year our holiday will include Koh Samui.

• Like 3
  • Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

13 hours ago, Binlid said:

Really enjoyed our first time in Ao Nang, I had done my homework and think I got a lot of things right. loved the hotel and its situation right across the road from the beach. We like live music and decent restaurants at night so I had 4 restaurants booked weeks before we left the UK. Walked past Soi RCA and its girlie bars a few times but never went down it. Only spent one daytime in Ao nang itself the, rest of the time we were Island hopping or visiting other parts of the Province in a hire car. I never once felt like I was being ripped off here, were as in Phuket it felt like you were getting ripped off left, right and centre. Probably wont be coming back but that's because I want to visit places I have not been to yet. Next year our holiday will include Koh Samui.

Yea, i always feel relaxed in Ao Nang, at ease. There's no 'undercurrent' like in Pattaya, or as you say you don't feel as if you're getting ripped off like some other touristy places like Phuket.

I really enjoy 'doing the homework' as you say, planning things, looking at and booking hotels etc. I know some other people don't enjoy that, or prefer to just go with the flow. But i like it, i like doing it, gives me a buzz. Like just this morning i changed 1 of the hotels we're staying at in Bangkok in July, when i realised how cheap i could get the Baiyoke Sky Hotel for. That hotel is like a landmark for me, i love looking at it in the night sky all lit up, and now we'll be at the top of it for 2 evenings have a meal.

Some great deals if you're into doing some homework, and yea, so many places to see and visit. I love travelling, outside of family, kinda live for it!

080515d0-e362-48ea-89fb-fe2abd7c7af8.webp

baiyoke-sky-hotel.jpg

Edited by Krapow
  • Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 3