52 Year old Norweigan Man Takes How Own Life

ChiFlyer

On 9/8/2023 at 11:26 PM, ChiFlyer said:

My mother's family was Czeck. Her parents (immigrants to the US) had 10 kids (5 died as children) and collectively they barely had a pot to piss in. Yet the family spent a significant portion of their money on burial plots. Sundays would often be spent at the grave sites. They did work 6 days a week. The burial site visit required a one hour bus ride each way across the city of Chicago. They could not afford a car.

Oddly enough, the family girl's burials would not get a mention on the major family tombstone. They would often be buried off to the side out of the way. By comparison the boys would get family tombstone mentions with pictures. A couple of my cousins recently corrected this by adding additional information to the major family tombstone. IMO -> nice move.

My mother was the first female of her generation that was "allowed" to go to high school. She had a couple of uncles who were outraged by this waste of money. Mom was only permitted to take 2 years of secretarial classes. She made the most of this and after my father died in the Korean War, it served her well. And yes she would drag my sister and I to the cemetery on Sundays. We both hated it. Mom did not learn how to drive, until I was about 7 years old, so we did the one hour cross city bus ride. I did learn a lot about the streets of Chicago.

A sad story? I don't think so. Many of my cousins and myself had university educations and did well enough in life. I met with one of said cousins at the grave sites on my last visit to the US. We cleaned things up a bit and chatted about all of the above.  

I used to drive past this one often when I lived in Alsip....

A lot of history in Chicago cemetaries.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burr_Oak_Cemetery

Thanks for sharing.

With regard to the deceased, the story keeps getting weirder --->

• Evidently the body was not taken back to Norway. It was cremated in Thailand and almost no one was told. Someone, perhaps posing as the family, ran a go-fund-me type account to bring the body back to Norway. They collected about 200,000 THB and then the body was cremated in Thailand. Really low.
  • The monk who received the body for cremation said that there was no evidence of neck ligature marks that he would normally see in a hanging suicide.
  • The deceased owed significant money that he has previously borrowed. About 500,000 THB.

• Surprised 3

On 9/4/2023 at 11:33 AM, Zambo said:

n this case it looks like suicide, by noose, but it seems no note. There must be statistics on how likely there not being a suicide note is.

The alternative is accident or murder. For murder a motive is needed. If indeed the deceased had financial problems

Reading the above it would seem he did. Your supposition might well be right.

Not that any of us  know anything for sure!!!

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1