Solar system

SCOTTIEDAM

Anyone doing solar systems on your house/farm ? We have a 100 watt solar panel for each of the 2 wells on the farm, just to insure we have water when the electric cuts off,( usually once or twice a week ), but want to upgrade to a bigger system to get the whole house wired in. Any names of dealers, costs, you paid for yours ? pictures would be appreciated too, if ya have any.

THANKX !

I have several solar systems and have had them for about ten years. I didn't build them to save any money but for the reason that the electric grid here in the boonies sucks. Tho grid goes down  about every other day, it usually comes back on quickly but sometimes it is off for several hours, All the components have been very reliable. Over the years I doubt that there has been any savings on my electric bills. The main cost is replacing the VERY expensive lead acid deep cycle batteries. I am a Luddite and have avoided the Lithium batteries. One reason is that my components are not compatible with the new batteries. My small system that runs my computer system needed new batteries. This time I paid more the $500 US dollars for a  Lithium battery. It is a 200AH single battery that replaced two 200AH lead acid batteries. Since the lithium batteries can be discharged much deeper than the lead acid  batteries, I was hoping that the one new battery would carry the load. My hope proved correct. So as far as I am concerned, solar systems are not dead. Lead acid batteries are  dead. Anyone installing solar electric would do well to use Lithium batteries.

• Great Info 4
  • Thumbs Up 1