Govt launches new medical coverage scheme for tourists

Stillearly

Foreign tourists will receive medical coverage of up to 500,000 baht in case of accidents in Thailand, and compensation of up to 1 million baht in the event of death under the government’s new campaign to enhance tourists’ confidence while travelling in Thailand.

The maximum coverage is 1 million baht per person in case of death and 300,000 baht per person for permanent organ loss, loss of sight or permanent disability. Medical expenses will be covered at the amount actually paid, but not exceeding 500,000 baht.

Tourists will not be eligible for the coverage if the incidents stem from their carelessness, intention to take part in any illegal activity, or risky behaviour.

To apply for the coverage, foreigners holding a tourist visa can submit documents at the provincial tourism and sports offices, or at tourist assistance centres located in Suvarnabhumi and Don Mueang airports. Applications can also be submitted via post and e-mail

https://www.nationthailand.com/thailand/policies/40035582?fbclid

My concern would be that some tourists discover this and don't bother with their own insurance .... if something serious happens then the amounts they are talking about wouldn't cover the costs ....

• Like 2
  • Great Info 2
  • Thumbs Up 3

18 minutes ago, Stillearly said:

Foreign tourists will receive medical coverage of up to 500,000 baht in case of accidents in Thailand, and compensation of up to 1 million baht in the event of death under the government’s new campaign to enhance tourists’ confidence while travelling in Thailand.

The maximum coverage is 1 million baht per person in case of death and 300,000 baht per person for permanent organ loss, loss of sight or permanent disability. Medical expenses will be covered at the amount actually paid, but not exceeding 500,000 baht.

Tourists will not be eligible for the coverage if the incidents stem from their carelessness, intention to take part in any illegal activity, or risky behaviour.

To apply for the coverage, foreigners holding a tourist visa can submit documents at the provincial tourism and sports offices, or at tourist assistance centres located in Suvarnabhumi and Don Mueang airports. Applications can also be submitted via post and e-mail

https://www.nationthailand.com/thailand/policies/40035582?fbclid

My concern would be that some tourists discover this and don't bother with their own insurance .... if something serious happens then the amounts they are talking about wouldn't cover the costs ....

Tourists will not be eligible for the coverage if the incidents stem from their carelessness, intention to take part in any illegal activity, or risky behaviour.  Whilst the highlighted words may well be specifically defined for this scheme, a lot of activity could be excluded if given their everyday meaning.

foreigners holding a tourist visa - this would seem to exclude anyone entering on a visa exemption scheme or indeed anyone on a non-O visa or similar and indeed retirement extension.  

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

12 minutes ago, john luke said:

Tourists will not be eligible for the coverage if the incidents stem from their carelessness, intention to take part in any illegal activity, or risky behaviour.  Whilst the highlighted words may well be specifically defined for this scheme, a lot of activity could be excluded if given their everyday meaning.

foreigners holding a tourist visa - this would seem to exclude anyone entering on a visa exemption scheme or indeed anyone on a non-O visa or similar and indeed retirement extension.  

I don't think any insurance covers recklessness..

Yes for tourists only , the article says it wants to boost tourism 

Foreign tourists are eligible for coverage if they have valid passports and must be visiting Thailand between 1 January – 31 August 2024 with a tourist visa or for the purpose of tourism only.

6 hours ago, biggles said:

Not many tourists would stay for more than 30 days and would enter Visa Exempt? Sounds good till you read the fine print. 

I know that's the proper term , but I personally think they mean the same thing in the article ... 🤷‍♂️

I only time I've heard it referred to as Visa Exempt is on forums like this , most people on holiday just call the 30 day stamp a tourist visa 

I could be wrong though ....

Edited by Stillearly

50 minutes ago, Stillearly said:

I know that's the proper term , but I personally think they mean the same thing in the article ... 🤷‍♂️

I only time I've heard it referred to as Visa Exempt is on forums like this , most people on holiday just call the 30 day stamp a tourist visa 

I could be wrong though ....

I would agree with you. I think the article refers to anybody coming in on a visa exempt (visa free) entry. It is also stated in the link about this 

56 countries offer visa free entry but it is still considered a 30 day visa by immigration as they make the decision on entry to stamp you in. As the link below stipulates it is actually called a Por 30 visa. 

https://thailand.go.th/issue-focus-detail/009-006

It is just visa free......for 30 days and can be extended. It also looks like an interim measure before the 300 baht fee comes in although that appears, not too soon.

• Thumbs Up 1