My hotel caught fire - initial Trip report

Butch

5 hours ago, Nickrock said:

Cerberus now that's a name from the past he was a mate of a mate ask him if he remembers Robin aka big Jim slay

I will ask him, I'll speak to him this afternoon 🙂 

5 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

Great story. Glad everything worked out fine for you in the end.

How is Cerberus doing? I hope his recovery is going well. 

He's absolutely fine and dandy mate.

I spent a chunk of my holiday at his house, we went around town a few evenings but mostly ended up in Hops on Yamato or Beer Hubb on Beach Road for some food and a few beers, or eating in the evening at his.

People have mentioned or asked about his health issues, which have been exaggerated by the jungle drums and even some twat saying he'd died (which I got pretty angry about on PA and probably banned, but hey ho). He spent a couple of weeks in hospital during Covid with an unrelated condition, but since then he has been in fairly good health.

He's relaunching the Devil's Den soon, and is seeking people to invest and inject some cash into it, I understand that all the info is on PA.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

Mike is one of the good guys. When I had my motorcycle accident some years ago, he was a great help to me in sorting out insurance and treatment and his partner even retrieved my bike and brought it back to my residence. I met up with him in October last year and he was in more or less full recovery. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

On 4/14/2024 at 3:19 AM, Butch said:

My latest trip (and apologies for not making the coffee meet up - I had a lot going on) started kind of well.

my (comfortable and slept for a solid 9 hours) EVA flight arrived early, de planed and immigration was pretty clear. By way of some miracle my bags were among the first to come off (same happened on my return journey) and I was out, and into the Nams taxi by 16:30, so less than an hour after hitting the tarmac.

I then LINE messaged my friend, (who had given the deposit for my room) immediately called me back. "got a problem with your room mate"

"oh no, what's the score"

"well, I went to the Hotel this morning to drop you off a few beers" (See, he's a good mate)" and they'd given your room away"

"what the fucking hell are you on about?".

"yeah, so I got an arse on and spoke to the manager, read him his horoscope and told him he's in breach of contract, so they've upgraded your room for the entire stay, oh and you've got breakfast thrown in as well".

My mate managed to work a miracle, and it was a great start to a great trip. Upon arriving at the hotel the senor receptionist gave me a sheepish look and told me that my friend had been quite firm in his manner. For those of you who are wondering, it was Cerberus, the former owner of the Devils Den who sorted everything.

In addition, I also got a free cocktail voucher.

I was pretty tired, and believe it or not on my first night I fell asleep on the bed with a bag of crisps and a beer and woke up 10 hours later picking broken crisps out of my bumcrack.

Fast forward a few days, and I was eating my breakfast when there was some commotion going on. The place (Page10 Soi 10) had only gone and caught fire. Worse still, my room was 3 floors above it. As panic was obviously starting to set in, they evacuated the hotel, however, as everyone was running out, I was running upstairs to grab my cash, cards, passport and phone charger (no idea why I grabbed the charger though), and despite the staff telling me otherwise, I was fucking having none of it. Last thing I needed was to be stranded with no money or cards and having to ponce drinks and sleep in abandoned bars.

PXL_20240328_032825832 (Medium).jpg

Luckily Pattaya's finest fire service managed to get their 48 year old fire tender to work and extinguish the fire. My room stunk of smoke, so I aired it all day, stayed at my friends for the night and returned the following day. By way of compensation we were given a cup of tea or coffee in the restaurant. I thought that was generous given the fact I could have been looking at losing all my clothes, my passport, airline tickets and the thick end of a few grand in readies.

So, lesson learned and the moral of the story, if your hotel catches fire and you're lucky enough to be there at the time, grab everything and ignore any toxic smoke or instructions from the staff.

Having a friend like that go to bat for you can be golden.

The ups and downs of travelling, always have to be slightly out of your comfort zone. In other words..... expect the unexpected and stay flexible.

That is a big reason I carry my backpack and wallet with me just about everywhere. The other documents can survive smoke (but humans can't), fire well yes (but percentages are small), smoke though can take you down quickly. 

Basic couple of rules - when there is heavy smoke go to the floor. Crawl your way to an exit and go down backwards. 

When at a door.... feel it. If it is hot don't open it. Good chance is if you do you will get roasted.

I understand your judgement and decision to go back to your room. But mate, reconsider it next time. It would be a major headache to deal with losing those documents, but there are resources that can help you get through all of that. Your friends won't leave you hanging. A lung full of hot smoke will do you in quicker than a crazy Farang on a motorbike.

If you want a nice hotel in that price range check out the Whitehouse Condotel, Soi 13. Ask for Jon Smith (Brit GM). If he has a room open he will take care of you. Great guy and great hotel.

• Great Info 2