Doctor in Pattaya

biggles

Hi all, looking for a recommend for an English speaking doctor in Pattaya.

Briefly my 71 year old expat friend is having problems with his speech, and mobility. I suspect a mini stroke, based on others I have known with his symptoms. He may require a CT scan to determine the cause and so a doctor at a hospital may be best. 

He is on a pension and has limited resources, no insurance. Any ideas, please. 

• Like 1

Prompt medical attention for suspected stroke is essential.

Its referred to as "the golden hour" google for more.

If possible get him to a hospital maybe like Pattaya Memorial or a Thai public hospital etc if you can. They 'might' be more inclined to offer emergency help ?

Getting him assessed is the essential step - if that can be done.

The aspect of limited resources etc can be advised to doctors etc - but getting him even partially assessed must be better then not.

Hope this helps and best wishes.

Edited by Zeb
  • Thanks 1
  • Great Info 3

17 hours ago, biggles said:

Keep him away from Bangkok Hospital if he does'nt have any insurance, i think as @Zeb mentioned Pattaya Memorial would be my choice.

• Thanks 1

On 4/28/2024 at 8:51 AM, biggles said:

Hi all, looking for a recommend for an English speaking doctor in Pattaya.

Briefly my 71 year old expat friend is having problems with his speech, and mobility. I suspect a mini stroke, based on others I have known with his symptoms. He may require a CT scan to determine the cause and so a doctor at a hospital may be best. 

There's also a very good hospital called "Samitivej" near Si Racha - The issue here is that it is not cheap, but the Neurologist there is second to none.

The problem is in many Thai Hospitals is that with these kinds of cases they often opt for invasive treatment as a first rather than a last resort - with that comes increased costs.

They'll run a CT and MRI, see what damage has been done or if it's an ongoing brain bleed and then will offer treatment. It's important to establish whether it's a TIA or stroke.

I've a mate who has been to 3 different hospitals and had 3 different prognosis with 3 different costs attached. The guy at Saitivej basically found the issue which was down to a conflict of meds the previous Thai hospital had given him.

Make sure he takes all his current meds with him, especially if he's on Apixaban or any other anti coagulant / thinner.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Great Info 4

On 4/30/2024 at 2:07 AM, Butch said:

There's also a very good hospital called "Samitivej" near Si Racha - The issue here is that it is not cheap, but the Neurologist there is second to none.

The problem is in many Thai Hospitals is that with these kinds of cases they often opt for invasive treatment as a first rather than a last resort - with that comes increased costs.

They'll run a CT and MRI, see what damage has been done or if it's an ongoing brain bleed and then will offer treatment. It's important to establish whether it's a TIA or stroke.

I've a mate who has been to 3 different hospitals and had 3 different prognosis with 3 different costs attached. The guy at Saitivej basically found the issue which was down to a conflict of meds the previous Thai hospital had given him.

Make sure he takes all his current meds with him, especially if he's on Apixaban or any other anti coagulant / thinner.

Excellent advise. Find the best of the best if they are available. I went with a higher coverage on my health plan based on some wise advise my agent advised.

In some cases the best might be located in Bangkok but would be willing to come to CM in some cases. With the better coverage they are more likely to consider travelling.

It just depends on what you have going and who is available at the time.

• Thanks 1

On 4/30/2024 at 3:07 AM, Butch said:

I agree, not because i know anything about the specific ailment but because i have been there with family  members several times.

https://www.samitivejhospitals.com/find-center

I expect much cheaper than Bangkok-Pattaya

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Great Info 2