Air Pollution - Pattaya

john luke

20 hours ago, fforest said:

Here is my air cleaner....,,

#1 Is the main unit..

#2 is the HEPA filter

#3 Is the Carbon filter

#4 is the air intake filter

# 3 and 4 need to be cleaned when they get dirty...Maybe every 30-45 days...

#2 The HEPA filter can't be cleaned very well..( I have tried a few times) Now I just replace the HEPA filter every 6-9 months....

The HEPA filter replacement for my unit only costs 275 baht so no big deal..

Lazada or Shopee should have new filters you can buy for your units....

image.png

hmm - all 3 of my air cleaner models list the filter as being HEPA on Lazada. All 3 filters look quite different as well. Lazada also states that these filters can be cleaned. Sounds like maybe not. I am thinking if I poke around on the SHARP website I can find the filter numbers and drill these on Lazada and Shopee.

44 minutes ago, ChiFlyer said:

Continued  - thanks to @forcebwithu

Here is the link for the main unit that I described above.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/i4887836311-s20589279727.html?urlFlag=true&mp=1&tradePath=omItm

Like I said above, I like this model but am suspicious of the 200 sqm coverage claim.

I bought a smaller model for the master bedroom. Here is the link:

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/i4883089892-s20524874066.html

Cost was 1598 and the stated coverage is 48 sqm
No LED read out on this one
Also the power connection is USB and not a wall socket plug

Decent enough air purifier and no complaints from me

I bought a little smaller yet air purifier for my home office. Here is the link:

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/i4837552169-s20206955210.html

Cost was 1568 and the coverage is stated as 36 sqm
This one has an LED read out, but it does not seem to be working correctly. It is probably time to read the instructions.
And again the power connection is USB and not a wall socket plug

Again no complaints

Because of the number of USB connections that I now have I bought 2 multi-port USB chargers. I like these.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/i4874369290-s20432094917.html

Cost was 205 per charger and they are quite useful. They even look good.

All in all I am happy with what I have done. I have noticed that the downstairs larger model is registering larger numbers on the LED, even tipping 100 tonight. My plan is to buy 2 more of this more expensive unit. I will put a second one downstairs near the kitchen. The other will go into the master bedroom with the 2 smaller ones that I already have being relocated to other upstairs rooms.

A few small updates.

I was going to purchase the 2 additional larger units that I talked about on Lazada when I noticed that the price is reduced in about 8 minutes. Basically, these are going on sale at midnight. This should save me about 50.

The comment I made about the smallest unit having an LED readout that did not make sense is because the readout on this unit is for time in service (days I think) and not estimated air quality.

Still wrestling a bit with figuring out the correct replacement filters to purchase. More later.

Edited by ChiFlyer

16 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

A very helpful post guy. I will add one small comment in case anyone is feeling as dense as I can be at times.

If one already has a Lazada signed in window open, that will cause the new login to inherit that login info despite eliminating the "?" etc info.

6 hours ago, ChiFlyer said:

Continued  - thanks to @forcebwithu

Here is the link for the main unit that I described above.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/i4887836311-s20589279727.html?urlFlag=true&mp=1&tradePath=omItm

Like I said above, I like this model but am suspicious of the 200 sqm coverage claim.

I bought a smaller model for the master bedroom. Here is the link:

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/i4883089892-s20524874066.html

Cost was 1598 and the stated coverage is 48 sqm
No LED read out on this one
Also the power connection is USB and not a wall socket plug

Decent enough air purifier and no complaints from me

I bought a little smaller yet air purifier for my home office. Here is the link:

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/i4837552169-s20206955210.html

Cost was 1568 and the coverage is stated as 36 sqm
This one has an LED read out, but it does not seem to be working correctly. It is probably time to read the instructions.
And again the power connection is USB and not a wall socket plug

Again no complaints

Because of the number of USB connections that I now have I bought 2 multi-port USB chargers. I like these.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/i4874369290-s20432094917.html

Cost was 205 per charger and they are quite useful. They even look good.

All in all I am happy with what I have done. I have noticed that the downstairs larger model is registering larger numbers on the LED, even tipping 100 tonight. My plan is to buy 2 more of this more expensive unit. I will put a second one downstairs near the kitchen. The other will go into the master bedroom with the 2 smaller ones that I already have being relocated to other upstairs rooms.

4 hours ago, ChiFlyer said:

A very helpful post guy. I will add one small comment in case anyone is feeling as dense as I can be at times.

If one already has a Lazada signed in window open, that will cause the new login to inherit that login info despite eliminating the "?" etc info.

I'm not sure what you mean about inheritting the login info. I did notice in your post the links included still included the ? and track back data after the ?. I C&P a link directly into a post and then edit out the superfluous data after the ?. What I think you did was use insert Link button and pasted the full link in the space for URL and the edited link in Link Text like below. Going this route you need to put the edited link in both places.

image.png

Another thing that happens quite often with links to a Lazada product is the seller runs out of the item. When that happens, as is the case with the 2nd and 3rd links in your post, all you'll see is "Sorry! This product list was not found". It's a bit more work, but what I'll do is include the brand/model with the link like below. That way if the prouct is sold out the interested party can still do a search on brand/model to find another seller.
Sharp KJ-160

Regarding the 100 AQI reading you're seeing on the unit downstairs, I wonder how accurate readings are from a sensor built into the air purfier. The quality of the sensor may not be the best and its reading may be high due to its proximty to the purifier's fan which will concentrate the pollutants as they're drawn into the unit. I bought the SNDWAY PM2.5 to hopefully get more accurate readings in a room.

5 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

I'm not sure what you mean about inheritting the login info. I did notice in your post the links included still included the ? and track back data after the ?. I C&P a link directly into a post and then edit out the superfluous data after the ?. What I think you did was use insert Link button and pasted the full link in the space for URL and the edited link in Link Text like below. Going this route you need to put the edited link in both places.

Well this is odd. I do not see the "?" when I click on those links. I did use a C&P method.

You may be seeing it differently because you already had Lazada open to your account. That is what I was trying to comment on.

6 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

Another thing that happens quite often with links to a Lazada product is the seller runs out of the item. When that happens, as is the case with the 2nd and 3rd links in your post, all you'll see is "Sorry! This product list was not found". It's a bit more work, but what I'll do is include the brand/model with the link like below. That way if the prouct is sold out the interested party can still do a search on brand/model to find another seller.
Sharp KJ-160

Regarding the 100 AQI reading you're seeing on the unit downstairs, I wonder how accurate readings are from a sensor built into the air purfier. The quality of the sensor may not be the best and its reading may be high due to its proximty to the purifier's fan which will concentrate the pollutants as they're drawn into the unit. I bought the SNDWAY PM2.5 to hopefully get more accurate readings in a room.

The two units in question have both gone out of stock since I posted last night. For the 48 sqm coverage unit the model number is listed as DP041B in the instruction pamphlet. I have been unable to find the model number for the 36 sqm coverage unit. 

Yes, I was wondering about the accuracy of the AQI reading on the downstairs unit. Good suggestion about the SNDWAY. I will likely order this afternoon.

49 minutes ago, ChiFlyer said:

The two units in question have both gone out of stock since I posted last night. For the 48 sqm coverage unit the model number is listed as DP041B in the instruction pamphlet. I have been unable to find the model number for the 36 sqm coverage unit. 

Yes, I was wondering about the accuracy of the AQI reading on the downstairs unit. Good suggestion about the SNDWAY. I will likely order this afternoon.

If you can't find a replacement HEPA filter then don't buy ....You will have to replace the HEPA filter in time...

On 11/11/2023 at 5:40 AM, forcebwithu said:

The SNDWAY PM 2.5 arrived today. It's readings are dramatically different than the reading on the downstairs purifier (only one with an AQI reading). The purifier's reading went back down to 20 from the 100 reading that I posted about. However, when I came downstairs this afternoon it was at 150. The Mrs was sitting a few feet away doing her nails. I turned on the SNDWAY and it read in the teens. I am actually getting readings in the low 20s and less in all rooms that have a purifier. The Home Office room actually goes into single digits at times.

Cheap thrills I guess.

I have 2 more of the larger purifier arriving tomorrow. I will take them puppies apart looking for a model number for the filter. I went to Sharp's web site. I think I found my filter for the larger unit, but I am not positive.

• Thumbs Up 3

With regard to where is the best location to put an air purifier -> (I mean on the floor vs. elevated on a table or counter), does anyone have any thoughts on this. I now have 5 purifiers running 24x7. I am using a combination of these placements downstairs in the larger living area (Living Room, Kitchen, and Dining Table area. I have a 2 story house with ample floor space. Yeah, I have probably committed overkill, but feel that it was worth it. Increasingly, I am seeing SNDWAY readings in the low teens and single digits.    

I am still looking to nail down the replacement filters choices. 3 of my 5 air purifiers are model KJ-160. Looks like the best search results are showing choices from Central Online.  

10 hours ago, ChiFlyer said:

With regard to where is the best location to put an air purifier -> (I mean on the floor vs. elevated on a table or counter), does anyone have any thoughts on this. I now have 5 purifiers running 24x7. I am using a combination of these placements downstairs in the larger living area (Living Room, Kitchen, and Dining Table area. I have a 2 story house with ample floor space. Yeah, I have probably committed overkill, but feel that it was worth it. Increasingly, I am seeing SNDWAY readings in the low teens and single digits.    

I am still looking to nail down the replacement filters choices. 3 of my 5 air purifiers are model KJ-160. Looks like the best search results are showing choices from Central Online.  

As long as your monitor is showing low readings, wherever you placed the purifier is good enough. Mine sits on the floor and I just make sure it has adequate room around it to allow for a free flow of air into and out of it.

Edit to add: Another quesetion to ask, is it really necessary to run this things 24/7? I haven't used mine for the last week and today with the windows and door open to my home office I'm looking at a reading of 8 on my monitor.

Edited by forcebwithu
  • Like 2

38 minutes ago, forcebwithu said:

Edit to add: Another quesetion to ask, is it really necessary to run this things 24/7? I haven't used mine for the last week and today with the windows and door open to my home office I'm looking at a reading of 8 on my monitor.

My plan may change after the next electricity bill arrives. 🙂

7 minutes ago, ChiFlyer said:

My plan may change after the next electricity bill arrives. 🙂

My guess is it'll barely register on electric use compare to what your A/C and your cooking draws. :default_biggrin:

My preference is to enjoy the fresh breeze during the hours when the heat and humidity is tolerable rather than hole up in a room with filtered air. 

Today is a good day to do that. With the decent cloud cover and a breeze from the north it's keeping things on the cool side. Outside AQI is good too.

image.png

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, forcebwithu said:

My preference is to enjoy the fresh breeze during the hours when the heat and humidity is tolerable rather than hole up in a room with filtered air. 

I enjoy that as well and made sure to include screens on the doors and windows that I replaced. Problem out here (due to the recent rains) is that the pollen counts are high. Hopefully those will diminish later in the year and I can get back to having Morning breezes.

• 3 weeks later...

While walking the dogs before sunup this morning I noticed a heavy "mist" under the street lamps. Almost like a foggy London day. Not being in London, and realizing that was no mist I figured we're in for another bad smog day. No surprise then reading this Bangkok Post headline.

Govt sends out alert on PM2.5 risk

image.jpeg

We're also at #1 for most polluted air in Thailand.

image.png

Edited by forcebwithu
  • Great Info 1
  • Sad 2
  • Surprised 1

23 minutes ago, Bazle said:

^^^^

That suggests it is home made pollution. Who's the culprit? 

Industrial and auto exhaust with open air burning also contributing to the shit in the air.

It's worse during the winter months as you get an inversion layer above that traps the air pollutants close to the ground. Often times, like today, when the sun rises it burns through the inversion layer and the smog clears.

image.png

Edited by forcebwithu
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

29 minutes ago, forcebwithu said:

Industrial and auto exhaust with open air burning also contributing to the shit in the air.

Thanks. But I find it difficult to take on board that those things are worse here than in Bangkok. 

12 minutes ago, Bazle said:

Thanks. But I find it difficult to take on board that those things are worse here than in Bangkok. 

Could be they were burning fields near the sensor station in east Pattaya where the 155 reading came from. Readings near the beach at the time were 80+.

Edited by forcebwithu
  • Thanks 2