Air Pollution - Pattaya

john luke

3 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

Coincidentally an Australian friend was bragging last night that Tasmania had the cleanest air in the world. Just looked it up and found out he was telling me a porky, they're third down the list with Zurich taking the #1 spot.

The 7 cities with the cleanest air in the world – ranking

I will see your 7 cities and raise you.

25 Least Polluted Cities and Countries in the World (2023 Rankings)

1. Zürich, Switzerland (0.49 µg/m3)

2. Perth, Australia (1.61 µg/m3)

3. Richards Bay, South Africa (2.38 µg/m3)

4. Hobart, Australia (2.55 µg/m3)

5. Reykjavík, Iceland (3.38 µg/m3)

6. Kryvyi Rih, Ukraine (3.42 µg/m3)

7. Launceston, Australia (3.51 µg/m3)

8. Wollongong, Australia (3.70 µg/m3)

9. Sydney, Australia (3.85 µg/m3)

10. Honolulu, United States (3.91 µg/m3)

11. Uppsala, Sweden (4.07 µg/m3)

12. Turku, Finland (4.17 µg/m3)

13. Haiphong, Vietnam (4.28 µg/m3)

14. Huế, Vietnam (4.32 µg/m3)

15. Tampere, Finland (4.38 µg/m3)

16. Newcastle, Australia (4.46 µg/m3)

17. Adelaide, Australia (4.49 µg/m3)

18. Tallinn, Estonia (4.57 µg/m3)

19. Halifax, Canada (4.68 µg/m3)

20. Vancouver, Canada (4.69 µg/m3)

21. Ternópil, Ukraine (4.77 µg/m3)

22. Oulu, Finland (4.80 µg/m3)

23. Castellón de la Plana, Spain (4.82 µg/m3)

24. Trondheim, Norway (4.85 µg/m3)

25. Stockholm, Sweden (5.00 µg/m3)

https://smartairfilters.com/en/blog/25-least-polluted-cities-in-world-2023-rankings/

They still have the 'gong on the list, beats me.

Note #2, I have felt that the air purifier was a bit of a waste.

And without a lot of words.

Screenshot-2022-12-19-at-9.20.04-AM-1024

Edited by fygjam

15 minutes ago, forcebwithu said:

Today's smog report in pictures.
P2230002.JPG

P2230006.JPG

I'm assuming Koh Larn is still somewhere out there...
P2230008.JPG

Screen Shot 02-23-23 at 11.26 AM.JPG

As above. Coupled with 80% humidity, I was gulping air faster than a 6litre v8...

From Mike's looking north

20230223_105159.jpg

From klang looking south

20230223_111113.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Surprised 1

9 hours ago, Stillearly said:

Skies not good today in HH

AQI 156 ( red unhealthy)

Ive been reading about it on the fb page and forum,a lot of fires burning on the hills around khao tao,same last month, i could see a few fires burning in various parts on the small hills just outside town from balcony,they mention a ton more traffic due to few days holidays.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Phantom51red said:

I wonder if its been like this for the past decade or so,just that we didnt take much notice until social media started raising enviromental issues.

The pollution sources, auto and industrial emissions on top of the annual burn season have been present for a long time. So yes, it's been like this for the past decade. Social media and news reports are just raising awareness of the issue.

This study, "AQLI Thailand Fact Sheet" appears to support that premise, and it's getting worse.

Overall, pollution in Thailand has risen 22.7 percent since 2000. In the Northern (Lanna) and Northeastern (Isan)
regions, average pollution levels have risen by 30 percent and 28.9 percent, respectively. In Central (Siam) and Southern
(Tambralinga) Thailand, pollution levels have risen by 18.2 percent and only 6.7 percent, respectively.

image.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Phantom51red said:

I wonder if its been like this for the past decade or so,just that we didnt take much notice until social media started raising enviromental issues.

CM has always been known as a place to  avoid around this time of year... but agree it was only a few years ago that Bangkok's air quality came onto my radar  and I wasn't aware of how bad things get in HH and Patts until my last couple of trips ..

• Like 2

Just now, Stillearly said:

CM has always been known as a place to  avoid around this time of year... but agree it was only a few years ago that Bangkok's air quality came onto my radar  and I wasn't aware of how bad things get in HH and Patts until my last couple of trips ..

It's been getting steadily worse in the past decade. More people, more cars, more factories, more forest burning, etc. Often this is compounded as it's a regional problem: south Asia, SE Asia.

Yet, from what I understand it was  bad a few decades back when there were no pollution controls whatsoever, however the emission content and sources were different.

. . .

Long-term historical trends in air pollutant emissions in Asia: Regional Emission inventory in ASia (REAS) version 3

https://acp.copernicus.org/articles/20/12761/2020/

Excerpt from the conclusion:

..."Clearly, all the air pollutant emissions in Asia increased significantly during these 6 decades. However, situations were different among countries and regions. In recent years, the relative contribution of air pollutant emissions from China was the largest along with rapid increase in economic growth, but most species have reached their peaks, and the growth rates of other species have become at least small or almost zero. For SO2 and NOx, introduction of abatement equipment, especially for coal-fired power plants such as FGD and SCR were considered to be effective in reducing emissions. For PM species, in addition to control equipment in industrial plants, emissions decreased recently due to reduced usage of biofuels. On the other hand, air pollutant emissions from India showed an almost continuous increase. Growth rates were larger for SO2 and NOx, but their structures of emissions were different. Large parts of SO2 emissions were obtained from coal combustion in power plants and the industrial sector, and the recent rapid increase in SO2 emission was mainly from coal-fired power plants. For NOx, contribution from road transport especially diesel vehicles were almost comparable with those of power plants. For PM species, the majority of emissions were from the residential sector in the 1950s–1960s, and its contribution is still considered to be large. Recent increasing trends were mainly caused by emissions from power and industrial plants and road vehicles. Trends in Japan were much different than those of the whole of Asia. Emissions increased rapidly along with economic growth during the 1950s–1970s, but those of most species were reduced largely from peak values. In addition, peak years were mostly 40 years ago, reflecting the time series of introduction of control measures to mitigate air pollution. Similar features were found in the Republic of Korea and Taiwan. For other countries in Asia, emissions of air pollutants generally showed increasing trends along with economic situation and motorization. As described above, trends and spatial distribution of air pollutants in Asia are not simple and are becoming complicated."...