Air Pollution - Pattaya

john luke

39 minutes ago, fforest said:

The air pollution is very bad today.....One of the worst days I have seen for a long time......I have a perfect view of the mess from my condo...

Yep, a bad day today. We should extend Songkran to wash the dirt out of the air. :default_biggrin:

image.png

6 hours ago, fforest said:

The air pollution is very bad today.....One of the worst days I have seen for a long time......I have a perfect view of the mess from my condo...

Tommy is covering it here: 

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

Pollution is still bad today .....The pollution looks like a London fog hanging around Pattaya...

I have seen it worse but this is tops for over a year I would guess.. 

Edited by fforest
  • Like 1
  • Great Info 1

Well guys it's time to change the air filter today......This was last changed 9 months ago......My air cleaner runs 24/7......

The last picture shows the Pre Carbon filter.....It helps a lot to keep some of the dirt off the HEPA filter........

20230424_114135.jpg

20230424_114237.jpg

20230424_114251.jpg

20230424_114400.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

41 minutes ago, forcebwithu said:

That reminded me to check mine. Looking pretty dirty after only 3 months of use, running about 8 hours/day.

image.jpeg

I tried one light wash on the HEPA filter a few months ago and I can't say it helped all that much.....

I wash the outside screen and the carbon filter pretty often too......

So I am now thinking between 7-9 months would be about right to change the filter for top performance......

2 hours ago, fforest said:

I tried one light wash on the HEPA filter a few months ago and I can't say it helped all that much.....

I wash the outside screen and the carbon filter pretty often too......

So I am now thinking between 7-9 months would be about right to change the filter for top performance......

I don't think it's recommended to get the HEPA filter wet. What I've tried is to vacuum the filter, but the dust particles are so small they're embedded in the filter and the vacuum does little to clean the filter.

• Like 2

On 4/22/2023 at 3:54 AM, fforest said:

Pollution is still bad today .....The pollution looks like a London fog hanging around Pattaya...

I have seen it worse but this is tops for over a year I would guess.. 

We rarely see fogs in London anymore. Although pollution still exists for a number of reasons. 

Since 1956 when the government passed legislation controlling air quality - the amount of soot, sulfur dioxide and other toxic nastiness has been greatly reduced. So we no longer get the atmospheric 'Pea Soupers' so beloved of Hollywood films set in London

So I don't think that is a good comparison at all and a rather inaccurate description. We have greatly reduced the use of coal to heat our homes and stoke commercial production.

Crop burning in South East Asian countries is the main cause of air pollution  

I agree with Bazle, that unless government, including Thailand, address this problem, then the air pollution will get worse.  

IMO the answer is to address the cause rather than just to address the effect. 

• Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 2 months later...
8 minutes ago, john luke said:

As far as visibility, which is one indicator of air quality, it does not look bad.  What do members who are there on the ground think?

Thanks for the prompt! I forgot to mention it after my trip to UK!

On my way to Suvarnabhumi it really brought home to me how bad and how widespread the pollution was here. Just looking out the taxi window, the distant hills and countryside was just a blur of hazy,dirty air. It took a couple of days of walking around the hills breathing in fresh country air to fully clear my lungs so that I could breath deeply.

On the way back everything seemed to be clearer on my journey back from the airport and it certainly doesn't seem as bad as it was nowadays.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, john luke said:

weather.jpgNot my photograph, but taken today.  As far as visibility, which is one indicator of air quality, it does not look bad.  What do members who are there on the ground think?

If you're looking to avoid the air pollution then this is the time of year to visit. Months to avoid are December to late March and sometimes into April

• Thumbs Up 2

• 2 months later...
On 7/11/2023 at 9:42 PM, forcebwithu said:

If you're looking to avoid the air pollution then this is the time of year to visit. Months to avoid are December to late March and sometimes into April

Sadly, this year it has started early - namely, today! 

I understand that the prevailing winds have been from the north for the past couple of days, and that is why we are having the pollution. 

20230920_163731.jpg

20230920_163635.jpg

• Sad 2

14 minutes ago, Bazle said:

Sadly, this year it has started early - namely, today! 

I understand that the prevailing winds have been from the north for the past couple of days, and that is why we are having the pollution. 

20230920_163731.jpg

20230920_163635.jpg

Face it.... The place is a toxic, stench filled wasteland. That's the reason cnuts like us love it so much.

:default_flower:

• Thumbs Up 1

• 5 weeks later...