Air Pollution - Pattaya

john luke

It's really bad in Pattaya this morning. A really heavy smog haze in the air.

image.png

This is all vehicle and industrial pollution as the fire map is not showing anything large enough to show up on the FIRMS map. If we had access to upper air soundings we'd probably see a temperature inversion that's trapping all this shit close to ground.

https://firms2.modaps.eosdis.nasa.gov/map/#d:24hrs;@101.50,13.25,9.94z

image.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Sad 2

44 minutes ago, maipenrai said:

Yeah, haven't been out yet but it looks pretty thick from my 7th floor vantage point....

Went out yesterday for my usual ride to the gym/market. Could instantly smell the smoke in the air. They don't seem to give a fcuk about it.

Heading down south in 3 weeks for a long holiday. This will be around the time the smoke up here begins to roll in like fog. Hopefully I will be able to stretch out my time down in HH for as long as possible, until nearer the end of smoke season.

Then the rainy season will kick in around my return. Kind of unpleasant, but I can handle it. Smoke and massive heat, not so easy.

9 hours ago, Stillearly said:

@boydeste how have you found the air quality in Bangkok , I saw a YouTube video today and it looked quite bad ?

It didn't seem too bad yesterday,  so I walked to Lumphini, did a circuit,  then back.

Got company on the way, so haven't been out of the room yet.

Looking at the graph, it's showing 157, so will be bad I suspect. 

8 minutes ago, boydeste said:

It didn't seem too bad yesterday,  so I walked to Lumphini, did a circuit,  then back.

That must be a classic walk of shame through reception ... A monitor Lizard in a short skirt, skimpy top and sun glasses !!!

As for AQI ...It is a lovely green 45 here !!

• Haha 2

56 minutes ago, boydeste said:

I don't think Buriram will be that bad around the time I am there. Bangkok will only be 2-3 days, then I am out of there. 

HH should be lovely.

1 hour ago, Glasseye said:

I don't think Buriram will be that bad around the time I am there. Bangkok will only be 2-3 days, then I am out of there. 

HH should be lovely.

Unfortunately HH is suffering a bit too, as well as Bkk, because of the wind and burning in Cambodia. 

2 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

We have a hash run today. Not looking forward to intense exercise with the all the muck in the air.

image.jpeg

I'd give it a miss myself. It's pretty grotty here in Hua Hin too.

You can tell just from looking at the hills, they are shrouded in a haze. When it's like this I'll exercise indoors

image.png

• Thumbs Up 1

And now for something completely different.

Your bioeffluent.

And that little cloud of CO2 you drag around with you.

Just over a week ago on Friday evening an ad for this popped up in my Amazon things I should buy.

image.png

A CO2 monitor.

Order now and have it by Monday, how could I resist. Also $AU118, now over $AU40 more. I got in at the right time.

That e-ink display got me. I thought it was just a sticker at first and was trying to work out how to remove it when the digits changed.

Took it outside into the "sea breeze". Visitors to Perth wonder how a force 10 gale can be called a breeze but we're used to it.

Read 416 ppm. I live about 10km from the coast and going west from the coast it's 8,000km till you reach Africa so not much/any pollution when the airflow is off the ocean. The average CO2 concentration for December was 417 ppm at the official climate measuring station. So pretty accurate.

Inside but with the windows open and a couple of fans circulating the air I get about 430-450 ppm.

Close the windows to keep the heat of the day out and that can rise to 650 ppm.

At night in the bedroom, if I have the door shut and run the AC it can be over 800 ppm by morning.

From the Canadian health department, suggested CO2 concentrations.

co2_levels.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

Air quality in Pattaya
Live air quality report and air quality forecast in Pattaya
LIVE
°C
UV
Very Unhealthy
205 AQI 
OUTDOOR SPORTS
BRING BABY OUT
EATING OUTSIDE
The pollution level has reached a critical level. Individuals at risk feel immediate effects. Even healthy people may show symptoms for short exposures.

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, Glasseye said:

Place is becomming less and less desirable with each passing day.

I am bypassing it on my upcoming journey through Thailand.

I went back last year as my girl had never been,we stayed in jomtien tho at the 5th hotel or the 8th can't remember name exactly but it was a nice 5 day holiday,went to walking street once,can't see us going back anytime soon,stick to South of hua hin.