What are you reading?

Al McReady

19 hours ago, galenkia said:

Yeah, that's good

I was just going to say that i haven't read a Stephen King book since The Rats, but luckily did a bit of research and see that the author was James Herbert. So now it's more correctly "never read a Stephen King book". 

Billy Summer has mixed reviews, what's an SK highlight?

1 hour ago, Zambo said:

I was just going to say that i haven't read a Stephen King book since The Rats, but luckily did a bit of research and see that the author was James Herbert. So now it's more correctly "never read a Stephen King book". 

Billy Summer has mixed reviews, what's an SK highlight?

Misery, Salem's Lot, The Shining, The Green Mile are among my favourite one's.

Basically anything pre 2000.

• Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, galenkia said:

Misery, Salem's Lot, The Shining, The Green Mile are among my favourite one's.

Basically anything pre 2000.

Avoided the urge to interupt as the question was aimed at yourself, my answer would have been start at the beginning.

I'm realy enjoying Billy Summers. King is 74 years of age, and he can still come up with something this good. Have read "recommended" books that have turned out to be dreadful. So Summers isn't peak Stephen King but it's damn good in it's own right.

• Like 1

On 8/9/2022 at 3:56 PM, Lemondropkid said:

First time I've read a Maigret book, only 160 pages, whole stack of them at the local library. Gushing reviews of the writer from the great and good of literature world- let's see🙂

image.png

I had never read any of these books either. A check of my local library found that yes, they too have a lot of them. So I read Maigret Travels. Light and easy to read. I think I will keep one handy at all times to fill in between a larger read.

• Thumbs Up 1

Part odyssey, part pilgrimage, this epic personal narrative follows the author's exploration of coasts, islands, reefs, and the sea's abyssal depths. Scientist and fisherman Carl Safina takes readers on a global journey of discovery, probing for truth about the world's changing seas, deftly weaving adventure, science, and political analysis.

725fbd99c33d2cf8293420fa6f5d1f87a1ec60cc.jpg

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, andycoll said:

Good read but the names of all the characters is doing my head in.

You're a better man than me! Just skimmed the Google preview, some of the early pages look like the Polish phone book🙂

560 pages too, hopefully it becomes easier as you progress.

• Haha 1

Cormoran Strike Series Book... 06 - The Ink Black Heart

By Robert Galbraith aka J.K. Rowling

orSRspF.jpg

ABOUT THE BOOK

When frantic, dishevelled Edie Ledwell appears in the office begging to speak to her, private detective Robin Ellacott doesn't know quite what to make of the situation. The co-creator of a popular cartoon, The Ink Black Heart, Edie is being persecuted by a mysterious online figure who goes by the pseudonym of Anomie. Edie is desperate to uncover Anomie's true identity.

Robin decides that the agency can't help with this—and thinks nothing more of it until a few days later, when she reads the shocking news that Edie has been tasered and then murdered in Highgate Cemetery, the location of The Ink Black Heart.

Robin and her business partner Cormoran Strike become drawn into the quest to uncover Anomie's true identity. But with a complex web of online aliases, business interests and family conflicts to navigate, Strike and Robin find themselves embroiled in a case that stretches their powers of deduction to the limits—and which threatens them in new and horrifying ways...

A gripping, fiendishly clever mystery, The Ink Black Heart is a true tour-de-force.

• Like 1

Just finishing this one.

9781787333499.jpg

Moves along quickly but still not the same as the Ian Fleming books. I need to pick my pace up a bit. I borrowed the 2nd book in the Hussite trilogy by Sapkowski on Sunday and it is longer than the first. Then yesterday went up to the library expecting to pick up two books only to find out 4 books waiting. Then got home and logged into my library account intending to suspend all my remaining holds until after my upcoming trip only to find another two books had turned up. Some are going to be returned unread and reborrowed when I return.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Picked up another hardback from the Amazon locker by my work on the way home.

Stephen King's latest.

Another book that was cheaper in hardback than Kindle.

£11 delivered to the locker versus £12.99 for the Kindle version. Same as the one I'm currently reading, The Ink Black Heart. That was £12.50 for the hardback versus £12.99 for the Kindle version.

How this works I don't know, plus so much for Amazon caring about the environment!!.

IMG_20220909_180701.jpg

• Like 2